Topic locked

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Quarter Finals Discussion !!

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Hey, played well in the one frame he did win :grrr:

Still, wasn't to be. Ding v Ronnie final looking very likely now. That will be a cracker.

Think me, you and maybe 1 or 2 others picked both Ding and Ronnie as the tournament favourites for predicts, and so far it's going well. :-)

Would certainly be a cracking match that's for sure. Arguably the 2 best players at the moment.

Postby Skullman

Andre147 PGC wrote:Yes not been the best of tournaments this but that isn't new, for a few years now the Welsh Open lost that reputation it once had.

Always find that the Welsh really comes into its own at the semi final stage. Good semis and final the last three years. Better that than a great first round and crap semis and final.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:Yes not been the best of tournaments this but that isn't new, for a few years now the Welsh Open lost that reputation it once had.

Always find that the Welsh really comes into its own at the semi final stage. Good semis and final the last three years. Better that than a great first round and crap semis and final.

Best Final for you 2008 one I bet... <laugh> You didn't watch snooker back then though.

Postby Skullman

TheRocket wrote:After the Welsh the worst ranker is coming up IMO, the Haikou World Open. I always feel so relaxed when watching this, probably because it gives you a holidayfeeling.

Won't even have ITV coverage this time, which made a mediocre tournament decent.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:After the Welsh the worst ranker is coming up IMO, the Haikou World Open. I always feel so relaxed when watching this, probably because it gives you a holidayfeeling.

WO is crap, no doubt. PTC Grand Finals could be better with a better venue, but since it's now moved to the iconic venue in Preston which hosted both the Grand Prix and UK Champs especially for so many years it will be a better event I think. At least this time Ronnie will be competing on it.
But Ronnie not comepting on it in previous years had nothing to do with the event not being great though.
Last edited by Andre147 on 28 Feb 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:I am talking about 2011 onwards <laugh> and I'll always have a soft spot for the Welsh, as it was the first snooker event I watched.

But you wished you started back in that 2008 Welsh Open... rofl

Postby Roland

That was a shame, if Selby had nicked that frame at 4-2 I would have fancied him to win. Perry was getting tight and but for that careless in off on the brown who knows. 2 kicks cost him in the end but that's snooker.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Selby was pretty awful but Perry played really well after a shaky opening frame.

I hope Joe can give Ding a match, he's a very likable player and I wouldn't mind seeing him make a ranking final.

Plus it would mean an easy final for Ronald.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Selby was pretty awful but Perry played really well after a shaky opening frame.

I hope Joe can give Ding a match, he's a very likable player and I wouldn't mind seeing him make a ranking final.

Plus it would mean an easy final for Ronald.

Perry actually has a much better record against Ronnie than Ding.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Perry actually has a much better record against Ronnie than Ding.

He doesn't. They've both beaten him once and Ding's was a final.

I see. My memory tricked me there. He was such a tough opponent to Ronnie in 2008/09, he was only 1 pot away from sending Ronnie packing in the Masters but like you said Joe actually beat him only once.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Perry actually has a much better record against Ronnie than Ding.

He doesn't. They've both beaten him once and Ding's was a final.

I see. My memory tricked me there. He was such a tough opponent to Ronnie in 2008/09, he was only 1 pot away from sending Ronnie packing in the Masters but like you said Joe actually beat him only once.

I'm sure Carter's been only one ball away from beating ROS. No one would say he's a tough opponent for Ronnie.

Postby Roland

Carter had him beat in a semi-final one time, can't remember the event but it was 5-5 and he only needed last red and black and had the red along the top cushion. If he'd rolled it in dead weight he'd have been on the black, instead he chose to play the shot with an element of safety and screwed back for black to same pocket hoping to cover it if he missed, rattled the red, left it on and lost the match.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Sonny wrote:Carter had him beat in a semi-final one time, can't remember the event but it was 5-5 and he only needed last red and black and had the red along the top cushion. If he'd rolled it in dead weight he'd have been on the black, instead he chose to play the shot with an element of safety and screwed back for black to same pocket hoping to cover it if he missed, rattled the red, left it on and lost the match.

That was in the semi final of the 2008 Northern Ireland Trophy. Carter should have won really, he was the better player that day.