Topic locked

BetVictor Welsh Open Quarter Finals Discussion !!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Wednesday 19th of February ~ Sunday 2nd of March at the Newport Center, Newport

John Higgins and Ronnie O'Sullivan are 2 of the Greatest players thats ever played the Game and they meet in the Quarter Finals here Meeting for the 57th time with Ronnie O'Sullivan holding a 28-25 Advantage with 3 Draws.

World Championship 5 Matches John Higgins leading 3-2
Finals 16 Matches Ronnie O'Sullivan leads 10-6

They have played twice in the Welsh Open 1995 and 2010 John Higgins has won both times.

But also through to the Quarter finals are Player of the season Ding Junhui, World no 2 Mark Selby and Joel Walker currently Ranked 84th in the World

Who will reach the Semi Finals?

Quarter Final Draw

Joel Walker v Ding Junhui Ding Junhui leads 1-0
Joe Perry v Mark Selby Selby leads 10-6
-------------------------------------------------------------
Marco Fu v Barry Hawkins Marco Fu leads 7-3
John Higgins v Ronnie O’Sullivan O'Sullivan leads 28-25

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Quarter Finals Discussion !!

Postby Wildey

Friday 28th February

12:00pm

Joel Walker v Ding Junhui

Followed by

John Higgins v Ronnie O'Sullivan

7:00pm

Marco Fu v Barry Hawkins
Joe Perry v Mark Selby

Postby Skullman

Anyway, bad jokes aside:

Effective head to head ignoring group matches and any matches in events with 'League' in their name. I've counted PTCs but for those who don't I've included a H2H without them as well in brackets.

Walker v Ding 0-1 (0-0)
Perry v Selby 3-3 (1-3)
Fu v Hawkins 5-3 (5-3)
Higgins v ROS 22-16 (21-16)

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Finally into the best of nine stage :D

Hope Selby's the TV match in the evening.

I'm pretty sure it will be mainly because rankings wise, and in my opinion it should be TV match regardless of ranking positions.

But as you said should be roll on/off for all matches so that all are televised, but I guess I can't complain much because initially there was only gonna be 2 TV matches.

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:Perry and Selby much closer in H2H after this, and Higgins and ROS H2H completely turned on its head.

Intesting Stat. But I count every match into the H2H stat. For me just every match counts and to make a significance debate doesn't make any sense IMO. Because then you could turn everything and say that the World final is as important as 4 average ranking matches or like that. Therefore I count everything as equal.

However. Can't watch the match tomorrow , unfortunately. Hope, it's gonna be a good day for Ron. If not, life goes on.

Postby Andre147

But you cannot possibly count a CL win for instance on equal terms to a ranking final for instance. The truth is Higgins since 2005 has got the better of Ronnie numerous times.

I hope Ronnie though puts things right this time and wins a ranking match against him.

Postby TheRocket

Well, no doubt that Higgins has somewhat a streak against Ronnie since 2005 but it isn't as disastrous for Ronnie as it was represented here, especially after the PTC match last year where we also took part. H2H against Higgins is very much ok. Nevertheless Ronnie should beat Higgins tomorrow, to get a little revenge for the last couple of years.

Losing too many times in a row against the same man is not good. It can destroy your head obviously. That's what happened with Federer because he's losing to Nadal every single time and couldn't beat Nadal in a Grand Slam match since 2007. And Trump meanwhile probably feels the same when playing Higgins.
Last edited by TheRocket on 27 Feb 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:A shame Fu vs Hawkins won't be televised. I would have watched that.

We don't know for certain which of the evening matches will be televised, so it still could be.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:Looks like I'll be the only one in the Higgins camp tomorrow. No matter, don't really mind.

What about Ayrshirebhoy?

Oh yeah. Still it'll be two against seven(ish)

Postby hendry_fan

Wildey wrote:Friday 28th February

12:00pm

Joel Walker v Ding Junhui

Followed by

John Higgins v Ronnie O'Sullivan

7:00pm

Marco Fu v Barry Hawkins
Joe Perry v Mark Selby

I will lay my hat down for once and admit that i was actually wrong for once!.
I wrote yesterday that i was sure that Maguire would end the great run that Walkers had. :-D

Now it would be absolutly brillllllllllllllllliant if his great run could continue and he managed to knock out Ding,but surely there,s no way that can happen.

I could,nt care less who will win between Fu n Hawkins.

I dearly hope that Selby knocks out Perry.

What a match we have between 2 absolute GIANTS/LEGENDS,2 of the greatest ever of the game.

Haggis John v Pumpkin Ronnie. :-D

Now we all know that Johns had the better of Ronnie in recent years in ranking tourneys and without boasting i,m often right with predictions,but in this case i really,really hope that i,ll be wrong again after my wrong prediction regarding the Maguire/Walker match :-D ,cause as much as i want John to win,i don,t think it,s gonna happen today.

Johns been off song for ages now and has gone down a gear/two and has been struggling to find and maintain the form we all know he can produce when he,s on song,of course he,s been gettin the odd result here n there but his standard of play has,nt been anything to scream about for a good while now,the ones who have watched his matches know full well that many of the matches he,s won has been due to his will to win,grit,determination,havin more of the run of the ball rather than have it had against him and due to him being able to win playing his B,sometimes even C game,very similar to Selby when he reverts to his B and C game and still manages to pull out wins.

Whereas Ronnies managed to go up a gear and has managed so far in maintaining produceing good to very high standard stuff,it,s gonna be very intrestin to see just how long he can keep it up.

We all know though that John often plays well against Ronnie,that he often seems to be able to switch on his wizardry modus against him,so it would,nt surprise me if he somehow manages to do it again today.

I,m gonna write a "Come onnnn John" all the same,but as i say,i can,t see him beatin Ronnie today,this is one of the very few times though that i really hope i,m wrong. <laugh>

Postby Holden Chinaski

I hope it will be a good match between Ronnie and Higgins. I'm a Ronnie fan but I do have a lot of respect for John Higgins, Ronnie does as well. Higgins is one of the all time greats. A brilliant all round player.

It's been a while since Ronnie beat Higgins, but I don't make a big deal out of it. They are two of the greatest players of all times. Ronnie did have some important wins against Higgins in his career, he won his first two masters titles against Higgins in 1995 and 2005 and of course his first world title in 2001. But these last years Ronnie never seemed to play his best against Higgins, and Higgins always seemed to up his game when playing Ronnie.

These two greats have much respect for each other and I hope they can turn back the clock to a time when snooker was at a higher standard as nowadays in my my opinion and make it a great match!

Postby Jester82

Does anyone one, why so many people watch the snooker games?
Don't they have to got to work?
I have holidays now and will take some during the WC, but as to other tournaments, I don't have the time.

Postby mantorok

The Higgins/ROS match is by far going to be the most interesting, we know Ronnie has this mental block when it comes to Higgins, however he's a mental giant now so it will be fascinating to see just how how much he can play the table and not the player, this IMO is probably one of his biggest challenges in a while.

So glad it's best of 9 too!

Postby Wildey

mantorok wrote:The Higgins/ROS match is by far going to be the most interesting, we know Ronnie has this mental block when it comes to Higgins, however he's a mental giant now so it will be fascinating to see just how how much he can play the table and not the player, this IMO is probably one of his biggest challenges in a while.

Lets not forget Higgins is nowhere near the player he was.....Yesterday he struggled to put away a poor Trump.

Postby mantorok

Wildey wrote:
mantorok wrote:The Higgins/ROS match is by far going to be the most interesting, we know Ronnie has this mental block when it comes to Higgins, however he's a mental giant now so it will be fascinating to see just how how much he can play the table and not the player, this IMO is probably one of his biggest challenges in a while.

Lets not forget Higgins is nowhere near the player he was.....Yesterday he struggled to put away a poor Trump.

I wouldn't say ROS was exactly the player he was either, sure his safety game is great and his breakbuilding, but occasionally he still misses some very easy balls, it's his mental strength and focus that's been helping, although at the Masters he proved he can still pot people off the table.