Post a reply

Snookerbacker Classic 2013/14

Postby Roland

The first legs of this season's Snookerbacker Classic kick off this weekend at the SWSA in Gloucester. This event has grown into something the SB man can be very proud of. The field this season is comprised of many top amateurs along with less familiar names such as team Burnholme A from York (i.e. myself and James Kilmarten who will be playing the SWSA event in February and our team mate Ashley Hugill who has entered both events this weekend).

Among the names taking part this weekend are top lady players Reanne Evans and Hannah Jones, as well as now familiar amateur names such as Ben Harrison, Zak Surety, Sydney Wilson, Shane Castle, Jamie Clarke and many others.

MySnookerStats are providing the scoring/stats and you can find the pages at the links below:

http://www.mysnookerstats.com/tournament/?trn=119 for Saturday
http://www.mysnookerstats.com/tournament/?trn=120 for Sunday

More details of the event/structure/rules and latest news can be found on the Snookerbacker blog here:

http://www.snookerbacker.com/category/s ... ssic-news/

Good luck to all involved this weekend!

Re: Snookerbacker Classic 2013/14

Postby Roland

Top breaks so far:

Jamie Clarke 80
Ben Harrison 77
Ben Harrison 75
Jamie Clarke 68
Kishan Hirani 67
Ben Harrison 67
Zak Surety 61
Reanne Evans 61
Andy Marriott 59
Ashley Hugill 59

Darren Bond got a walkover as Shane Castle didn't show up. Ben Harrison is first man through to the quarter-finals after wins over Sachin Plaha and Zak Surety. Ashley won his first match against Ben Jones 4-3 from 3-0 down so I'm pleased he's finding his range out there. He now plays Kishan Hirani for a place in the quarter-finals.

Reanne and Hannah both went out first round, hopefully they can have a run tomorrow.

Postby Roland

Ben Harrison is first man through to the finals with a 4-1 win over Kurtis Weaver

Postby Roland

Kishan Hirani was second man through late last night beating Mike Rogers 4-2.

Play is under way in the second event.

Postby Roland

It's another long day for SB, currently the two finals are taking place and the latest is Adam Wicheard 3-1 Matthew Day and Jamie Clarke 2-0 Syd Wilson

EDIT: Adam Wicheard and Jamie Clarke qualified.

Postby roy142857

Great performance by Antony Parsons to win the event in Derby this weekend and qualify for the finals - beat Syd Wilson 4-0, Andy Marriott 4-2, Bash Maqsood 4-0 and then won 4-0 in the final against Joe Steele.

Steele's run puts him second on the Order of Merit behind Callum Lloyd but ahead of Damian Wilks.

Full results here:

http://www.mysnookerstats.com/tournament/?trn=123

Next up two competitions in Leeds next Saturday and Sunday.

Postby markj147

Syd didnt turn up to the event. Ant played very well indeed that day.

I thought Stefan Mazrocis would factor in the event as he played very well against Hannah but he fell to Joe Steele.

Hannah won her first match 4-1 but lost out the Stefan in the next. He was so impressed he is arranging to practice with her at his club and at hers. Her focus was there all day and she is starting to play very well.

It was a great event at a very good club. I enjoyed watching the event.

Postby markj147

So am I. I felt the past 18 months have been a struggle for her but now in the past couple of months she appears to be very focused through coaching and speaking to a sports psychologist. Look forward to Sundays Snooker backer, although Martyn is a great player so it is an uphill battle for her but more necessary experience.

Postby Roland

Yes a great win for Sandi. One day he's had Maguire taking the snake hiss out of him at the Barbican and the next he's taken the experience and blitzed the field. Well done Sandi!

Postby roy142857

Two more qualifiers for the finals as a result of today's action in Gloucester, John Parkin and Zack Richardson. Syd Wilson did enough to extend his Order of Merit lead.

Postby roy142857

A win yesterday for Ryan Causton in a close final at Northern Snooker (beat Jamie Barrett 4-3) secured his place in the Snookerbacker Classic Finals.

Syd Wilson still leads the Order of Merit despite a 1st round loss to Barrett yesterday. Callum Lloyd still 2nd but Andy Marriott has closed up to him, now in 3rd, following a semi-final run yesterday.

Penultimate qualifier is next Saturday at the George Scott club in Liverpool.

Postby roy142857

In case anyone missed it, the winner of the penultimate Snookerbacker Classic qualifier was John Whitty, just the 'Last Chance Saloon' contest in Gloucester to go.

Two players will qualify via the Order of Merit, the leaders are Callum Lloyd and Syd Wilson who are now tied on 41 points, chased by Andy Marriott on 35 points, Alex taubman on 30 and Joe Steele on 27.

Postby roy142857

Syd Wilson won the 'Last Chance Saloon' competition 3-2 against Mike Rogers to claim his spot in the finals.

Callum Lloyd's run to the semi-finals secured him a spot via the Order of Merit, whilst having a couple of wins was enough to secure the second Order of Merit spot for Andy Marriott.

Grand finals day is on Saturday (1st March).

Finalists are :

Ben Harrison
Kishan Hirani
Adam Wicheard
Jamie Clarke
Anthony Jeffers
Mitchell Mann
Ant Parsons
Sanderson Lam
James Leadbetter
John Parkin
Zack Richardson
Ryan Causton
John Whitty
Syd Wilson
Callum Lloyd
Andy Marriott

Really good line-up, draw still to be made. Four players will walk away with Q School entry paid or a cash alternative, the winner also gets to play a frame of snooker with Stephen Hendry at the Crucible.

Well done to SB for organising this!

Postby Roland

I'll be there next Saturday to see the grand finals. Looking forward to it. Follow @snookerisland twitter for updates

Postby Roland

Well despite having an early night with the intention to go down and watch, I've chosen instead to stay in York and practice for my York Masters match on Monday after a bit of a dilemma when trying to get to sleep.

But anyway, there is an excellent live scoring service going on for the day which you can see here:

http://www.mysnookerstats.com/tournamen ... 0#match-80

There's a lot more information that you get from the SportStat live scoring service, although there is so much information on screen you do need to concentrate to take it all in :redneck:

I would like Ben Harrison to win, obviously, but I would be pleased to see Syd Wilson, Sandi Lam or Jamie Clarke win as they are all young players with potential to do well on the main tour if they get through Q School.

Postby Roland

Mitchell destroyed Ben 4-0 and Ant Parsons came through against Jamie Clarke. Ant Parsons won the final 4-1. Congratulations to Ant, very popular winner!