Post a reply

PTC Grand Finals goes to Thailand

Postby Wildey

Snooker's Players Championship Grand Finals will be staged in Bangkok, Thailand for the first time this season.

The tournament will run from March 25 to 29, 2014, and will feature 32 of the world's leading players competing for total prize money of £300,000, with the winner to receive £100,000.

The field will comprise 24 players from the European Tour Order of Merit plus eight more from the Asian Tour Order of Merit, based on events which have run throughout the season.

The Grand Finals were staged in Ireland last season, with Ding Junhui taking the top prize by beating Neil Robertson 4-3 in a dramatic final.

Click here for Full Story

Re: PTC Grand Finals goes to Thailand

Postby Wildey

and with this Tournament Schedule

25-29 Players Championship Grand Final Bangkok, Thailand

31-6 Apr China Open Beijing, China

it makes more sense Time Zone wise

Postby Skullman

Will be a bit of a bother as a spectator watching it on Thailand time, which is seven hours ahead, but it is a bit ridiculous to expect the winner of the PTC Grands to go from Ireland to Beijing in a day.

Shame it's not a tiny bit closer to the World Open as players could then just make the one trip to that general area of the world. As it stands now, the finalists would have to hang around for over a week or go back to England and then go back to Thailand.

Postby snooker loopy

Skullman wrote:Will be a bit of a bother as a spectator watching it on Thailand time, which is seven hours ahead, but it is a bit ridiculous to expect the winner of the PTC Grands to go from Ireland to Beijing in a day.

Shame it's not a tiny bit closer to the World Open as players could then just make the one trip to that general area of the world. As it stands now, the finalists would have to hang around for over a week or go back to England and then go back to Thailand.

If they went out in the early rounds they could take a train journey some/all of the way to Beijing. Or fly into Beijing early.

Makes sense but does mean two tournaments with the weird time zones in a row.

Postby Andre147

SO you think Ronnie will play in this event?

He won't in the China Open, so that leaves him with only the Welsh and then his defense of the World Title.

Being now held in Europe may persuade him to change his mind, he's 3rd in the Order of Merit so should really enter the event, but I have many doubts he will.

Postby roy142857

Andre147 PGC wrote:SO you think Ronnie will play in this event?

He won't in the China Open, so that leaves him with only the Welsh and then his defense of the World Title.

Being now held in Europe may persuade him to change his mind, he's 3rd in the Order of Merit so should really enter the event, but I have many doubts he will.

Hadn't thought about someone possibly skipping this, but you're right, if anyone's going to, it'll be Ronnie ...

That'd be good news for Barry Hawkins, 25th on the Order of Merit ...

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Actually I think he will. Ronnie knows he's playing less than he should be, so I reckon we will see him there.

Postby Skullman

edwards2000 wrote:How shoddy to just relocate an entire venue. They should have looked at the feasibility long before this.

They had already booked the venue when they were sent a letter of warning approximately three weeks ago that there might be some problems due to political protests. I fail to see how they could have foreseen this. Plus it seems reasonable to wait a while to see if the problems sort themselves out.

Postby Andre147

Which venue in Europe will they choose I wonder... Doubt it will be in Galway again, and let's be honest that venue was crap.

They might as well choose the Tempodrom again :-D of course it won't be, but it's the best venue around along with the Crucible.

Postby Simone

This is a great great shot and drive to get into the systems. They say that ´he has done many similar in the past, but this one´s a real beauty if you ask me.

Postby Casey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Actually I think he will. Ronnie knows he's playing less than he should be, so I reckon we will see him there.

Yea I think he will play - £100k on offer too.

The only thing is, it's a long way to go for best of 7...

Postby Wildey

If you lose a match its a long way to lose best of 7 or 17 it doesn't matter how long or short a match is.