Post a reply

Re: Prosnookerblog interview with Ronnie

Postby Andre147

Jewell wrote:Great stuff. Can't wait for part two now.

:D Yeah absolutely, just finished reading Part 1 and it was absolutely fantastic.

He does talk a lot of sense there.

He clearly misses though the tobbaco sponsored events, and it was so funny when he refered to this season's Welsh Open as the "Regal Welsh". <laugh>

Like you said, can't wait for Part 2, Matt really knows how to make a proper interview and players seem very relaxed and honest in their oppinions there.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Very good interview.

One of the most interesting parts for me was that he emphasised how important that 2012 German Masters win was. I said it after Ronnie won the Worlds that year, without that victory in Berlin he wouldn't have captured his 4th and consequently his 5th World Title. That tournament was a massive for him, it turned it all around really. It was his most essential win since the 2007 UK semi final.

Postby Odrl

The second part is up now, and the thing I find interesting is that he describes the 2011/2012 season as his best ever by a mile. That was the season that saw him drop out of the top16 provisionally, after a series of early exits and non-appearances in the first half of the season. He then won the German Masters and the WC to finish the season strongly, and there was the Premier League title earlier as well...

It was a nice purple patch he had there, but all he got out of it was two ranking titles, so it's kind of weird that he thinks it was better than the stuff he played in 2004. Not just better, but a "million miles" better.

But as weird as I find that, I'm even more surprised that someone enjoys Phil Studd's commentary. ;-)

Postby Muppet147

Sonny wrote:He was awesome in that German Masters final

Yes, he was.

I also seem to recall that earlier in the tournament he was losing 4-0 and made a 60 odd clearance to win the fifth frame on the black, then won the match 5-4. Amazing stuff. Was it against Higginson? Can't remember.

Postby Andre147

Muppet147 wrote:
Sonny wrote:He was awesome in that German Masters final

Yes, he was.

I also seem to recall that earlier in the tournament he was losing 4-0 and made a 60 odd clearance to win the fifth frame on the black, then won the match 5-4. Amazing stuff. Was it against Higginson? Can't remember.

It was indeed. And if we look at the grand scheme of things how they changed so so much for him since that match recovering from 4 nil down to win 5-4... I mean, the season before that was one of his worst ever, and he was already out of the top 16 when the German Masters came around so definately knew he had to had a really good tourney. Had he lost that match he certainly wouldn't have had a good season and may even not have been World Champ, so looking back I'd say since that match against Higginson it was a huge step forward and gave him massive confidence and since then we have seen some wonderful results from him.

Postby The Cueist

Absolutely right , Two world crowns and a masters to boot.
This was a pivotal match and the irony of it all is the winner defied all odds and the losing opponent has gone downhill.
Higginson wasand still is a very capable player.
It is funny how things work out when you think about it.

Postby edwards2000

It's true... if he hadn't've won the German Masters that time, I very much doubt he would've won back to back world titles. It gave him a huge boost.

I had to watch it on youtube because I was too gutless to tune in. Nerves couldn't take the final.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MgMoRa1FOQ

What a frame.

Postby Andre147

Ha for me personally I would never do that.

Even if Ronnie lost, say against Selby in the decider on the last black of Worlds Final I would still watch it all the way no matter how painful it could be, there's nothing like watching a match live, happening right there at the exact moment you're watching.

It just isn't the same when we watch something that has already happened, of course sometimes I have to cause we can't watch snooker live all the time, but nothing beats watching a snooker match live. <ok>

Postby edwards2000

That time was the first title he had had in a while though, so I didn't want to watch him blow it in the final :P I tuned into Selby and had a feeling Ronnie would trounce him. :hatoff:

Postby The Cueist

Andre , I am much of the same opinion .
But when he gets in that mood you just have to
Look away from screen , You know the mood where he pots a difficult ball and then forgoets that he must pot all tne balls using full concentration.

Seen ronnie get into that pattern from a long way I front as well.

Still didnt he leave selby , Trump world semi , Reeling with sheer brilliance wether it was matchplay or table clearance demolition.

The guy makes a mockery of any superlatives you can use , He is that bood that words dont do him justice.

Remarkable man .