Postby The Cueist

I couldnt help but be alarmed when Neil Robertson was knocked out of
This years German Masters.
Selby has gone the same way in previous seasons against lesser names also
Whilst holding the Number 1 spot.

Is it too many frames to attain the number one spot or the pressure of
Holding that mantle that pressurises a player when he has not performed
As well as he should have.

What do my fellow posters have to say on this, Should be interesting.

Re: Is Robertson burnt out this season ?

Postby SnookerFan

I think it's too early to be calling it burn out, he only won the UK Championship in December. Especially when you consider the centuries he's been knocking in in the Championship League. One loss doesn't mean burn out.

Postby The Cueist

Of course ,But if this form was to continue.
Selby went the same way a few seasons back
Shock losses do funny things to a top player.
Ronnie included over the years.

I am not criticizing Robertson i am just making an
Observation.

Postby Wildey

No

its just one of those things that every player goes through even in the era of 6 tournaments some you win and some you don't.

Postby Andre147

The Cueist wrote:Hopefully this is a temporary blip , And i hope he comes back plying well at the Welsh Open
We will get a better idea.

We need someone playing well to give Ronnie a match.

rofl

They couldn't give Ronnie a match because he was just too damn good at the Masters, simple as that.

Compare that to the CoC he won and you'll see the diferences, he wasn't playing so well but still managed to win 6-5 against Ding and Robbo and 10-8 against Bingo.

And in the UK he lost to an inspired performance from Bingo so your argument :wave:

Postby The Cueist

Well we will see ,It was all Ding for 3 straight Tournaments and he is just now returning to form.

He only missed a few crucial balls in the uk and masters, And i think tiredness and the pressure to continue winning caused him mental fatigue .

As with Robertson this week , He looked fatigued and out of sorts.

I say it is harder to stay at the top these days since Hearn shook the game up
and opened it up to the lesser ranked players.

i feel Ronnie does not want the pressure of being world number 1
and the fatigue and extra pressure it puts on a player.

The last player to hold the number one mantle for a considerable time was
Stephen Hendry ,Regardless of era i might add.

Postby Andre147

The Cueist wrote:Well we will see ,It was all Ding for 3 straight Tournaments and he is just now returning to form.

He only missed a few crucial balls in the uk and masters, And i think tiredness and the pressure to continue winning caused him mental fatigue .

As with Robertson this week , He looked fatigued and out of sorts.

I say it is harder to stay at the top these days since Hearn shook the game up
and opened it up to the lesser ranked players.

i feel Ronnie does not want the pressure of being world number 1
and the fatigue and extra pressure it puts on a player.

The last player to hold the number one mantle for a considerable time was
Stephen Hendry ,Regardless of era i might add

Of course, and that amazing record of 8 straight years as World number 1 and be able to within that period win the tournaments he did will remain forever I think.

I Don't think tiredness is affecting players like Robbo and Selby just yet, it's just they weren't good enough to beat their opponents.

And yes Ronnie keeps himself mentally fresh because he doesn't care about his ranking, plays in only the tournaments he wants and therefore, due to that amazing natural talent he has, is still able to play at this sort of standard like he did at the Masters when he was many levels above everyone else.

Postby The Cueist

Hendry did so well to achieve that especially when the
Era of the 1992 season debutantes emerged.

I would go along with most of wbat you say Andre.
My personal feeling is that the tour these days is
A hell of a lot more gruelling in terms of frequency of travel , Hotels etc in the Hearn era.

Lets look at Mark Williams , If memory serves me
Didnt he have two upward spikes where he dominated
For a season or two and then went to pieces big style.

He has completely fell apart at the moment.

Ronnie has imploded many times and he knew he had to cut back the snooker hours.

What I am saying is this , Regardless of talent being at the top of the snooker tree in the Hearn era is a lot
Moe diffcult than it used to be.

Postby Roland

Robertson was simply outplayed by Pengfei in the German Masters and Selby was slighty off his game but got a bad run of the ball, in particular when it looked like he was about to go 3-3. Minor blips can happen in best of 9s.

Postby The Cueist

Yes of course , He just liooked very tired, I have seen Selby look the same wjen he was holding the number
One spot.

I would like to point out I am not a robbo hater , Just a fan of snooker and I watch how people are .

Postby Wildey

Robbo still pushed the World Champion harder than Ronnie did in the final and Ronnie wasent Burnt Out lol

Postby TheSaviour

I don´t think that anyone is burnt out during the Worlds. There might be some other reasons why some can´t perform during the worlds, like not fancing the job because of some personal issues or not be able to handle the pressure. Which, I think, (not been able to handle the pressure) has been the case with Ding many times.

Even if obviously semis and finals are a real snooker marathon. I certainly can´t see that player there would be a burnt out. Player just sort of roll on frames. A frame after a frame. Obviously there might be some gruelling long safety battles and a scratchy patches, but players basically get over those quite fastly.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Robbo still pushed the World Champion harder than Ronnie did in the final and Ronnie wasent Burnt Out lol

Innit.

A semi finalist at The Crucible, but he must burnt out because he lost a close match to the eventual winner. <doh>

Postby Wildey

a few things snake hiss me off as we know.

pots missed in deciders is called bottled the shot...... but they miss pots in every frame of a match. nobody says missed pot at the beginning of frame 1 was a bottle job.

Just because a player loses doesent mean he wasent at his best........sometimes players make their opponents look average with their own good play....