Topic locked

German Masters Last 16 Discussion !!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Wednesday 29th of January - Sunday 2nd of February at the Tempodrom, Berlin in Germany

A few surprises has meant theres only 4 Top 16 seeds through to the last 16 Ding Junhui, Judd Trump, Mark Davis and Shaun Murphy.

5 of the players left are winners of ranking events and 12 of them have reached ranking finals in their time and it gives these players opertunity to add to their limited haul.

Ding Junhui has had a brilliant season winning 3 main ranking events and must be favrite to pick up another this week.

Who will reach the quarter finals?

DRAW

Last 16

Xiao Guodong v Jamie Burnett Burnett leads 2-1
Anthony Hamilton v Ryan Day Hamilton leads 4-2
Ding Junhui v Dominic Dale Ding Junhui leads 5-2
Joe Perry v Kurt Maflin Never Played Before
-------------------------------------------------------------
Tian Pengfei v Rod Lawler Never Played Before
Mark Davis v Liang Wenbo Liang Wenbo leads 3-2
Judd Trump v Shaun Murphy Trump leads 13-5
Michael Holt v Alan McManus 3-3

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: German Masters Last 16 Discussion !!

Postby Wildey

Friday 31st of January

12pm

Xiao Guodong v Jamie Burnett
Anthony Hamilton v Ryan Day
Ding Junhui v Dominic Dale
Joe Perry v Kurt Maflin
Tian Pengfei v Rod Lawler
Mark Davis v Liang Wenbo
Judd Trump v Shaun Murphy Eurosport
Michael Holt v Alan McManus

7pm

Xiao Guodong/Jamie Burnett v Anthony Hamilton/Ryan Day
Ding Junhui/Dominic Dale v Joe Perry/Kurt Maflin
Tian Pengfei/Rod Lawler v Mark Davis/Liang Wenbo
Judd Trump/Shaun Murphy v Michael Holt/Alan McManus

Postby Andre147

Why have so many matches at 12 p.m, all of the Last 16 in fact? <doh>

I think they should have a morning session again and then we could watch 2 Last 16 matches instead of just 1.

Very poor schedulling if you ask me :td:

Postby Skullman

Wildey wrote:A few surprises has meant theres only 3 Top 16 seeds through to the last 16 Ding Junhui, Judd Trump and Shaun Murphy.

Mavis is a top 16 seed as well.

Postby Andre147

So tomorrow at 12 p.m given the poor schedulling there's still one Last 16 match that will have to be played there...

Which match will it be I wonder...

That setup wouldn't be so bad if it was full, but we all know it won't be.

Postby Skullman

Andre147 PGC wrote:So tomorrow at 12 p.m given the poor schedulling there's still one Last 16 match that will have to be played there...

Which match will it be I wonder...

That setup wouldn't be so bad if it was full, but we all know it won't be.

Probably Hamilton or Lawler's.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Yes but with Mavis still in the event there are 4 top 16 seeds left, not 3 like it says.

yea your right Sorry

Postby GJ

I hope tian wins it

He has now beaten Ronnie and robbo in his career each in a full ranking event.

Its his time

Postby Wildey

Andre147 PGC wrote:Why have so many matches at 12 p.m, all of the Last 16 in fact? <doh>

I think they should have a morning session again and then we could watch 2 Last 16 matches instead of just 1.

Very poor schedulling if you ask me :td:

they need to extend the tournament but as Hendon pointed out yesterday the Venue is in demand so doing that wont be easy.

Postby Skullman

I don't see why every tournament has to be the same in terms of number of players at the venue.

This seems like a tournament that could do with 32 or even 16 at the venue with some more qualifying rounds.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:I don't see why every tournament has to be the same in terms of number of players at the venue.

This seems like a tournament that could do with 32 or even 16 at the venue with some more qualifying rounds.

if ever there was a Venue that could cope with taking 64 players to a venue its this one but not over 5 days but if its going to continue as a 5 day event then Last 32 is the Best way forward.

Postby randam05

Why the hell havent they done a 10am and 2pm schedule? That is absolutly ridiculous!

Anyway great win for Dom again! Some return to form im over the moon. Also great to see Hamilton getting some run of results here! Two good wins and could easily upset Day which i really hope he does.

For Dale however I think ding will beat him 5-3 :-( We shall see but once again he isnt on TV table!

Postby Wildey

randam05 WC wrote:Why the hell havent they done a 10am and 2pm schedule? That is absolutly ridiculous!

if they make a 10am and a 2pm session the 2pm players wont have as much time between sessions as the 10am players when the Quarters starts at 7pm

Postby Skullman

Yeah but a lot of those matches are Championship League, Premier League or similar. Looking at actual ranking matches, it's only 3-2 to Judd.

Postby hendry_fan

Wildey wrote:Friday 31st of January

12pm

Xiao Guodong v Jamie Burnett
Anthony Hamilton v Ryan Day
Ding Junhui v Dominic Dale
Joe Perry v Kurt Maflin
Tian Pengfei v Rod Lawler
Mark Davis v Liang Wenbo
Judd Trump v Shaun Murphy Eurosport
Michael Holt v Alan McManus

7pm

Xiao Guodong/Jamie Burnett v Anthony Hamilton/Ryan Day
Ding Junhui/Dominic Dale v Joe Perry/Kurt Maflin
Tian Pengfei/Rod Lawler v Mark Davis/Liang Wenbo
Judd Trump/Shaun Murphy v Michael Holt/Alan McManus

A lot of old fogeys still around. :-)
Burnett,Hamilton,Dale,Perry,Lawler,Davis,McManus,i,m beginning to wonder if this tourneys a Seniors tourney. <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Talking about the venue, and length of the tournament, here is a Twitter Attack from our glorious leader.

roland ‏@snookeroland Lovely fresh morning in Berlin. I'm off to the dome, should be a good view today

That's always struck me about The German Masters. How can anybody see anything? Most snooker venues you get a decent view, even if you're at the back. The big culprit is the main table right in the middle is the one that has the worst view. Very weird. Here's the best match of the day, so we're going to put it on a table that the paying public can't see.

Mabe Sonny will have a different view of this now he's attended live, but it seems odd there's so much going on at once. (Especially when they only televise one match at a time.)

I'd love to see it be a few days longer.

Postby SnookerFan

simplysnooker wrote:Stevens cost me my accumulator last night! Trump/Murphy should be good today

Well, that's your own fault. Never bet on Stevens to win anything. <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

I wonder what match we'll have on telly tonight.

If Judd wins they'll probably put him on. I quite like Ding and Dominic Dale, so I wouldn't min either of them.

I'm pretty sure if Rod Lawler wins, it won't be him. :-D

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Talking about the venue, and length of the tournament, here is a Twitter Attack from our glorious leader.

roland ‏@snookeroland Lovely fresh morning in Berlin. I'm off to the dome, should be a good view today

That's always struck me about The German Masters. How can anybody see anything? Most snooker venues you get a decent view, even if you're at the back. The big culprit is the main table right in the middle is the one that has the worst view. Very weird. Here's the best match of the day, so we're going to put it on a table that the paying public can't see.

Mabe Sonny will have a different view of this now he's attended live, but it seems odd there's so much going on at once. (Especially when they only televise one match at a time.)

I'd love to see it be a few days longer.

Yesterday Sonny posted a picture from where he was sitting and he had to look at the Main table through the Light Rigging and the view seemed so poor from his seat he would need binoculars to see what was going on. But isnt that what happens with Rugby or Football watching on TV Gives you a better view but the atmosphere inside a stadium is so different. Same with Darts you go to the venue to watch on Big Screens because the Dart board is so small.

When you used to have 3,000+ watching Alex Higgins at the Wembley Conference centre back in the day at the masters im sure the view from the back was poor,

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Yesterday Sonny posted a picture from where he was sitting and he had to look at the Main table through the Light Rigging and the view seemed so poor from his seat he would need binoculars to see what was going on. But isnt that what happens with Rugby or Football watching on TV Gives you a better view but the atmosphere inside a stadium is so different. Same with Darts you go to the venue to watch on Big Screens because the Dart board is so small.

When you used to have 3,000+ watching Alex Higgins at the Wembley Conference centre back in the day at the masters im sure the view from the back was poor,

True enough, I guess.

I saw an FA Cup Semi-Final at the new Wembley Stadium a few years back. All the season tickets holders and club members got priority seating so I was second row fro, the back. At a stadium that seats 90,000 there was absolutely no point to being there, the players looked like dots. The smaller stadiums are better though. I'm at Selhurst Park next week. (Which is a dump, but at least you get a good view.)

Maybe we're lucky that snooker often gets played in smaller rooms, so there's no such thing as a bad seat. Or maybe we should look at it the other way around, and say it's a bad thing there isn't more fans ti sell out bigger arenas.

Postby Skullman

Snooker time.Not really fussed who wins this now, as most players I like are out. Maybe a new winner? About time we had some younger players do something.

That said, I'd like Smurph to beat Judd today.

Postby roy142857

GJ wrote:I hope tian wins it

He has now beaten Ronnie and robbo in his career each in a full ranking event.

Its his time

One more win will get him into the provisional end of season Top 64 - at this stage in a tournament the extra money can be quite significant in terms of money / position for the lower ranked players - he'd move from 68th to 62nd (ignoring Stephen Lee, whose points all these players are close to surpassing).