Post a reply

Which of these following records will Ronnie break before he retires?

first player to make 1000 centuries
10%
first player to make 15 maximum breaks
10%
tie or overtake Steve Davis's 6 UK titles
10%
tie or overtake Steve Davis's 28 ranking titles
11%
tie or overtake Stephen Hendry's 6 Masters titles
11%
tie Steve Davis's 6 World titles
9%
tie Stephen Hendry's 7 World titles
6%
overtake Stephen Hendry's 7 World titles
3%
tie or overtake Stephen Hendry's 18 majors
9%
tie or overtake Stephen Hendry's 36 ranking titles
9%
Oldest ranking event winner in snooker history
6%
Oldest World Champion in snooker history
6%

Total votes : 234

Which records will Ronnie beat?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

After Ronnie O'Sullivan captured his 5th Masters title last Sunday in emphatic style, I was wondering what records Ronnie will break before he hangs up his cue for good. I would like to hear your honest opinion.

I've selected 10 important records and achievements, some of them very reachable, some of them seemingly completely unreachable. Just tick the boxes of the records you believe Ronnie will break. Please comment on your choices.

*Updated after the 2014 UK Championship*
Last edited by Snooker Overdrive on 08 Dec 2014, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Which records will Ronnie beat?

Postby Andre147

Sory SO I said there that Ronnie would break Davi's 6 Worlds but hadn't got in mind that you put "break" and not "tie" so for that matter I think he can reach 6 Worlds and tie Davis, but not reach 7 and break that record.

I also selected the 11 maximums becasue I think it's only a matter of time before he makes his 12th and also the centuries total which Ronnie is pretty close to.

I'd like to think he could break Davi's record of 28 rankers, but unfortunately and due to him not participating in all tournaments don't think he will.

So for the record I only ticked the first 2 boxes, the Davis one I made a mistake.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Andre, I edited the poll. You can vote again :wave:

Already done, thanks. <ok>

The explanation is basically the same as above.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Ok, let's take a look at these options.

1) 775 centuries:
Yes, it's only a matter of time before that record is broken, probably next season

2) 11 max:
I think it's safe to say he'll make another one sooner or later

3) 28 ranking titles:
He only needs 4 more but he has been skipping most of the ranking events in the last couple of years. However I still think he'll better Steve Davis's record.

4) 6 Masters titles:
That would be 2 more. Ronnie loves this tournament but it's a tough one. I'm more than happy with his 5, he may tie Stephen's 6 but 7 is probably it bit too much to ask for.

5) and 6) reach 7 World titles:
Yes, I think he can and will do it. At the moment I can only see Neil Robertson being strong enough to beat an in form Ronnie at the Worlds. If Ronnie really wants it and I think he does, this is a real possibility.

7) 8)
No, it's a bit too late for that I'm afraid

9)
No way, that Hendry record is safe

10)
If anyone can better that Reardon record it's Ronnie but it won't happen, I'm afraid

Postby Sickpotter

Centuries and 147s is pretty much a forgone conclusion as long as Ronnie plays for a couple more years or devotes himself to all events for a season. Quite simply too many opportunities.

I put him down for oldest WC champion but he's already that in the modern game. That said I doubt ROS could surpass Ray as the oldest of all time, can't see him playing a WC at 46 much less winning one.

Postby edwards2000

Sickpotter wrote:Quite simply too many opportunities.

I am not sure what you mean here. Are you saying that Ronnie will surpass Hendry's haul simply because there are more events? That doesn't hold any water, if so, because he exceeded Hendry's century count at WC and Masters with frames to spare.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Ronnie will overtake hendrys century record but it won't last. Someone will beat even that record soon enough with the amount of snooker available.

Postby Sickpotter

edwards2000 wrote:
Sickpotter wrote:Quite simply too many opportunities.

I am not sure what you mean here. Are you saying that Ronnie will surpass Hendry's haul simply because there are more events? That doesn't hold any water, if so, because he exceeded Hendry's century count at WC and Masters with frames to spare.

Exceeding Hendry's ton count at the WC and Masters is not all that's involved in total centuries made.

With so many events a year now there's no reason at all Ronnie can't pop off 50-70 per season and surpass Hendry.

I'm not saying he'll only do it because there are more events but the fact that there are more events pushes this from possibility to virtual certainty.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andy Spark wrote:Most of these records aren't important anyway, I suspect you people listen too much to idiots like Dave Hendon, the man that tweeted to tell us "torch passed" after Judd beat Ronnie in a sprint match a couple of years back. Great prediction Dave! Actually you can tell Dave Hendon is thick by listening to his speech pattern; he talks like he writes, with no forethought.

As a statistician Dave's of dubious quality too: ranking tournaments won, centuries made. Who cares? These stats are pointless. The only reason Dave keeps mentioning them is because they happened to be led by Stephen Hendry at the time when Hendry was considered the best ever. If Hendry was behind in ranking tournaments and ahead in total tournaments won he would be mentioning total tournaments won instead. If Hendry had played in an era of fewer events and thus hadn't got to the top of the centuries made list he wouldn't be mentioning centuries made much either, he'd go on to century rate or centuries made in the major tournaments.

It's the great players that seem to create the stats used, it should be the other way around!

What?!

Maybe the century and 147 record isn't that important, but all these other records I listed are what every normal snooker fan/expert considers the most important this game has to offer. Or what records are you thinking of I haven't listed?

Dave Hendon strikes me as a very balanced and fair commentator and analyst. I don't know what makes you think he's a Hendry fanboy.

But I agree, that tweet he made after Trump beat Ronnie was rash. However I always enjoy reading his articles and opinions. That doesn't mean I have to agree with them all the time.

Postby Andy Spark

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:I deleted this post, didn't meet my quality control.

sorry too late, I quoted you already :wave:

You can delete it for me then.

Postby Andy Spark

The reason I deleted was because reading it back I was a bit too harsh. I mean, Dave does write some good articles, he's not really an idiot and I like looking at the century totals of Ronnie and others too, so it's a bit wrong to be critical of others.

Postby edwards2000

Andy Spark wrote:The reason I deleted was because reading it back I was a bit too harsh. I mean, Dave does write some good articles, he's not really an idiot and I like looking at the century totals of Ronnie and others too, so it's a bit wrong to be critical of others.

I didn't think it was too harsh at all. Dave Hendon is a self proclaimed know it all. And then he misses the point entirely about century rates, probably due to the reasons you mentioned. I try not to read his blog whenever possible. There seem to be a lot of people like him that are obsessed by numbers when they don't actually understand the sporting context that underlines them.

He flip-flops, says what he thinks will be popular, and rearranges the numbers to support his argument. Just as you said.

Postby Andy Spark

edwards2000 wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:The reason I deleted was because reading it back I was a bit too harsh. I mean, Dave does write some good articles, he's not really an idiot and I like looking at the century totals of Ronnie and others too, so it's a bit wrong to be critical of others.

I didn't think it was too harsh at all. Dave Hendon is a self proclaimed know it all. And then he misses the point entirely about century rates, probably due to the reasons you mentioned. I try not to read his blog whenever possible. There seem to be a lot of people like him that are obsessed by numbers when they don't actually understand the sporting context that underlines them.

He flip-flops, says what he thinks will be popular, and rearranges the numbers to support his argument. Just as you said.

Yes, I detect that too, but I like to be diplomatic. I see no point in ranking tournaments won as a stat when it doesn't include higher status tournament wins in the Masters, but truth be told there is an argument that you are trying to establish fairness by letting all the pros win a counting event, doing it badly, but still trying.

Postby SnookerFan

edwards2000 wrote:I didn't think it was too harsh at all. Dave Hendon is a self proclaimed know it all. And then he misses the point entirely about century rates, probably due to the reasons you mentioned. I try not to read his blog whenever possible. There seem to be a lot of people like him that are obsessed by numbers when they don't actually understand the sporting context that underlines them.

Are there times when avoiding Hendon's blog isn't possible?

Postby edwards2000

SnookerFan wrote:
edwards2000 wrote:I didn't think it was too harsh at all. Dave Hendon is a self proclaimed know it all. And then he misses the point entirely about century rates, probably due to the reasons you mentioned. I try not to read his blog whenever possible. There seem to be a lot of people like him that are obsessed by numbers when they don't actually understand the sporting context that underlines them.

Interesting that's the only thing you take out of that post...

Postby Wildey

edwards2000 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Interesting that's the only thing you take out of that post...

only thing worth taking out of that post and even then its borderline

Postby Cloud Strife

Casey wrote:I think he will make more 147's and more ton's but none of the rest on the list.

He can certainly tie Davis' World titles tally, and Hendry's 18 majors record is not beyond reach either.

Fact is, Ronnie can break all of these records. It's all about his desire. If he wants to, he can still be a front-line contender for the next 20 years.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:
Casey wrote:I think he will make more 147's and more ton's but none of the rest on the list.

He can certainly tie Davis' World titles tally, and Hendry's 18 majors record is not beyond reach either.

Fact is, Ronnie can break all of these records. It's all about his desire. If he wants to, he can still be a front-line contender for the next 20 years.

im sorry but if Ronnie is a front line contender for the next 20 years then the Next Generation of players will be rubbish to the extream

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

im sorry but if Ronnie is a front line contender for the next 20 years then the Next Generation of players will be rubbish to the extream

Why?

Is it not a possibility that Ronnie could maintain his high levels?

Postby Wildey

But you would hope that the highish level that Ronnie could still be playing at in 15 or 20 years wouldn't be Anywhere near Good enough to compete with 20 year olds at that time.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:But you would hope that the highish level that Ronnie could still be playing at in 15 or 20 years wouldn't be Anywhere near Good enough to compete with 20 year olds at that time.

So you're saying that in 20 years time the standard could be so ridiculously high, even Ronnie at his current level would not be able to compete? Well, I suppose that could be a possibility, doubt it though.

Nobody is ever going to play perfect snooker, nowhere near it.

Postby Wildey

Ronnie is not immune to father time catching up to him .....he might need glasses, Arthritis or old age catching him up so competing with 20 year olds in 20 years time he wont be playing to the standard he is today.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:Ronnie is not immune to father time catching up to him .....he might need glasses, Arthritis or old age catching him up so competing with 20 year olds in 20 years time he wont be playing to the standard he is today.

Yeah absolutely, of course especially in Ronnie's case desire does play a big part, but as much naturally gifted talented he can be he he won't be imune to the age catching up with him, sory but it's just inevitable. If he truly wants to still be competing at the highest level, I give him 3 or 4 years at most before the inevitable happens and he starts putting up performances like some of the Williams' and Higgins' ones.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Wildey wrote:Ronnie is not immune to father time catching up to him .....he might need glasses, Arthritis or old age catching him up so competing with 20 year olds in 20 years time he wont be playing to the standard he is today.

Yeah absolutely, of course especially in Ronnie's case desire does play a big part, but as much naturally gifted talented he can be he he won't be imune to the age catching up with him, sory but it's just inevitable. If he truly wants to still be competing at the highest level, I give him 3 or 4 years at most before the inevitable happens and he starts putting up performances like some of the Williams' and Higgins' ones.

i could easily see him winning tournaments in to his early 40s but at 58?

Postby edwards2000

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Here you go again. If Ronnie is still playing to the same standard as he is now, how on earth do you expect anyone to be playing so much better? Do you think 99% pot success is attainable on a regular basis or something? Where do you get this wacko logic??? If a player is in the elite to an old age that means nothing other than he is good enough. Snooker is not a physical sport.

Taylor is in his 50s and has won numerous tournaments in his 50s including the WC. Are you trying to tell us all that the darts players are just too crap?

Ronnie won't be playing in 20 years, I guarantee you that, but you've already gotten it into your head that an old player HAS to be a rubbish player. Likely because Hendry was largely a spent force at 27. Wild, there are exceptions to every rule. Ronnie is an exception. So is Phil Taylor. So is Ryan Giggs.

On topic:

Stephen Hendry's 775 centuries
Definitely. And by averages already.

Stephen Hendry's 11 maximum breaks
Definitely. And by averages already.
In fact, he is already on 12, but it is not included for dodgy reasons.
He will probably exceed Hendry's Major total of 4 (which he shares).
He has a decent chance of exceeding Hendry's WC of 3 (which he shares).

Steve Davis's 28 ranking titles
Good chance

Stephen Hendry's 6 Masters titles
Good chance of equalling.

tie Steve Davis's 6 World titles
Good chance

tie Stephen Hendry's 7 World titles
25% imho

Stephen Hendry's 7 World titles

No. I don't think so. But you never know.

Stephen Hendry's 18 majors
Decent chance.

Stephen Hendry's 36 ranking titles
No chance.

Oldest World Champion in snooker history
I'm gonna say no.