Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Semi Final: Mark Selby v Shaun Murphy

Postby Skullman

The last/only other time Selby reached the final after three deciders, he ended up winning pretty comfortably.

If Selby wins comfortably, the parallels between this week and 2009 will be even stronger.

Postby Andre147

I don't think Murphy can start as badly as he did against Ding and Fu, whereas even if Selby starts badly we all know he can easily scrapp his way through and win frame after frame with scrappy stuff.

If Murphy doesn't start well and goes for instance 5-2 or 5-3 down the only chance I see him winning the match is if he goes all guns blazzing and blows Selby off the table like he did against Carter at the UK Champs 2012 semi.

Postby hendry_fan

Selbys obvious favourite,but it won,t surprise me if Murphy was to win.

Even though Selbs beat Davis and Higgins,he did,nt play that great,in fact he only got through thanks to his usual fighting spirit,grit,determination and by (laying that fantastic snooker behind the green and pottin that magnificent cross-double blue against Higgins).

The ones who have been watching Selbs matches lately know full well that he,s been very mediocre indeed,of course he,s played very good in patches,but overall bar that he,s been mediocre to say the least.

Murphy has,nt been that great neither,in fact he,s been similar to Mark,just somehow manged to stick in there and get over the line.

Higgins had Selbs on toast but crumbled towards the end.

Both Ding and Fu had Murphy on toast as well but they both suddenly crumbled as well.

I,d in fact say,that this one is a very difficult call,it,s by no means a gimme for Selby.

Postby Wildey

hendry_fan wrote:Selbys obvious favourite,but it won,t surprise me if Murphy was to win.

Even though Selbs beat Davis and Higgins,he did,nt play that great,in fact he only got through thanks to his usual fighting spirit,grit,determination and by (laying that fantastic snooker behind the green and pottin that magnificent cross-double blue against Higgins).

The ones who have been watching Selbs matches lately know full well that he,s been very mediocre indeed,of course he,s played very good in patches,but overall bar that he,s been mediocre to say the least.

Murphy has,nt been that great neither,in fact he,s been similar to Mark,just somehow manged to stick in there and get over the line.

Both Ding and Fu had Murphy on toast as well but they both suddenly crumbled as well.

I,d in fact say,that this one is a very difficult call,it,s by no means a gimme for Selby.

The Fact Selby reached the UK Final and Masters Semi final playing mediocre stuff shows just how great a player Mark Selby truly is.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:Selbys obvious favourite,but it won,t surprise me if Murphy was to win.

The Fact Selby reached the UK Final and Masters Semi final playing mediocre stuff shows just how great a player Mark Selby truly is.

I think it shows 2 things:

1) Mark Selby is a superb competitor, the toughest the sport has to offer right now
2) The overall standard is dropping, just like the age average is rising because no way Selby could have had these results in the late 90s or early 00s.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wildey wrote:

I think it shows 2 things:

1) Mark Selby is a superb competitor, the toughest the sport has to offer right now
2) The overall standard is dropping, just like the age average is rising because no way Selby could have had these results in the late 90s or early 00s.

Maybe your Right But Steve Davis did win the Masters in 1997 playing Mediocre Stuff.

Postby hendry_fan

Wildey wrote:

Yes,but thats cause he posseses the will to win,has tremendous grit,determination,patience,the never give up attitude and when he feels he,s not in potting mode,he,s just playing mediocre,then he can change and start to play heavy tactical stuff,thats something many lack on,especially many of the young guns.

As much as i love Hendry,he doesn,t half talk drivvel when he keeps harping on about how "safetys overrated",thats a load of bl**dy cobblers!. :td:

He said i think it was yesterday,"thats the way to play snooker",meaning playing attacking snooker,going for pots,making Big breaks,every frame in snooker is diffrent and there are some frames where one just can,t attack,some frames go scrappy,the key is to be able to adjust,something stubborn Hendry did,nt want to do.

Postby Richproc

I disagree that Steve Davis won the Masters playing mediocre stuff as I remember didn't he beat Doherty very easily in the semi final and the final against Ronnie was an all time classic where he rolled back the years and played some great stuff including a 130 break. The top standard of snooker at the moment is dropping all the time that is why Ronnie is still winning regularly. He played as well as he ever has against Walden but his game is no where near as consistent as it used to be and he can still beat nearly everyone playing some really poor stuff which wouldn't of happened 10 - 15 years ago. Selby wouldn't of even got in the top 8 10 - 15 years ago playing the snooker he has in the last 2 years let alone be world number 2 and nor would he have won the UK and Masters playing really poor stuff 90% of the time.

Postby Wildey

he beat Doherty very easily yea but if a boxer stands there and takes punishment without fighting back hes not going to win.

Steve beat McManus, Ebdon, Doherty and Ronnie and it was poor stuff from all 4 of them take Ronnie in the final there was only 4 50+ breaks in the final 2 apiece.

honest to god im not just saying it i mean it that was a very mediocre tournament that left Davis as champion.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:he beat Doherty very easily yea but if a boxer stands there and takes punishment without fighting back hes not going to win.

Steve beat McManus, Ebdon, Doherty and Ronnie and it was poor stuff from all 4 of them take Ronnie in the final there was only 4 50+ breaks in the final 2 apiece.

honest to god im not just saying it i mean it that was a very mediocre tournament that left Davis as champion.

I don't suppose Davis cared when all was said and done.

Actually, being that he only won it twice in the 1980s, maybe he needed everybody to play marmite to stand a chance of winning.

Postby GJ

Nice to be a neutral today for both games

hope for 2 dramatic matches
Last edited by GJ on 18 Jan 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:he beat Doherty very easily yea but if a boxer stands there and takes punishment without fighting back hes not going to win.

I don't suppose Davis cared when all was said and done.

Actually, being that he only won it twice in the 1980s, maybe he needed everybody to play marmite to stand a chance of winning.

wasent his best Tournament over the years and all credit to the guy to win it in 1997 but lets not make up what happened through Rose colored specs.

Postby Richproc

I am not making it up and there was loads of big breaks in the match just watch the masterpiece section on youtube. Ronnie starts the match with back to back centuries and makes 4 in the match to Davis's 2 as well as loads of other frame winning breaks it was great stuff. I see you must of looked on wikipedia for the breaks as it says there were only 4 50 plus breaks in the match but lists the breaks above where there was loads more than 4.