Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Quarter Final: Mark Selby v John Higgins

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Just realised that out of all the quarter finalists, Selby is the youngest at 30.

Whoever said snooker is a young man's game is a liar.

Selby will win I'm almost sure, John may put up a fight but like he has often done in recent times, as opposed to his prime, when things go close he can't cope with the pressure and misses.

6-3 or 6-4 Selby win.

Postby Skullman

Average age in 1989 Masters: 33.38 years

Even in 1989, we had more under 30s players (Hallett, Parrott, Hendry, White and Foulds), although there were a few more over 40s and there was then 54 year old Cliff Wilson involved.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Average age in 1989 Masters: 33.38 years

Even in 1989, we had more under 30s players (Hallett, Parrott, Hendry, White and Foulds), although there were a few more over 40s and there was then 54 year old Cliff Wilson involved.

the lack of under 30s breaking in to the top of the game is alarming and with only 16 under 30s inside the top 64 and even some of them are late 20s it shows standard of snooker in the next 10 years will be going even further down.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:I really thought this match was going to be Selby vs Bingham. Could John be recapturing some form?

Honestly, not a chance. It may end up being a close match, but Selby will beat him. At the moment, as opposed to his prime, when things go close in a match Higgins struggles and starts missing more, so I expect the same here and with more or less ease Selby will beat him.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 PGC wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I really thought this match was going to be Selby vs Bingham. Could John be recapturing some form?

Honestly, not a chance. It may end up being a close match, but Selby will beat him. At the moment, as opposed to his prime, when things go close in a match Higgins struggles and starts missing more, so I expect the same here and with more or less ease Selby will beat him.

I'm looking forward to it, to be honest. :hatoff:

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Same. Should be some good solid matchplay and given this year's Masters habit or not meeting expectations, maybe it'll be a pot fest. :shrug:

It'll be a better match than this afternoon's one I'm sure.

And I love watching when both play each other, very similar styles, and both seem to bring the best out of each other. One of the best matches I've watched had them both, 2009 Worlds quarter-final.

Postby hendry_fan

Wildey wrote:Thursday 16th of January

7pm

Mark Selby v John Higgins

An absolute :cracker: of a match.

I have to say,i really don,t know what to make of John these days,for a minute i actually thought he would fall and fall even further down the rankings and slowly fade off the radar,his standard of play has plunged and plunged,i can,t remember the last time he played his A game,it would be brilliant if he could get it back and maintain it for a good while again but somehow i just can,t see it happening,i hope he proves me wrong though.

Most including me thought that Bingham would send him packing,but he ended up sending Bingham packing,he played pretty decent although it,s nothin to get excited about as Bingham was totally out of sorts.

It,s gonna be very intrestin to see what he serves up tonight against Selbs,will it be some yummy haggis,neeps and tatties or will it be canned chemical corned beef and sloppy dumplings. :-D

It would be great if John would win but if he does,nt i won,t be dissappointed as i also like Selby.
Last edited by hendry_fan on 16 Jan 2014, edited 1 time in total.