Post a reply

Hendry interview in The Sun

Postby Roland

STEPHEN HENDRY has gone from Clash of the Titans to David versus Goliath inside a week.

Hendry's build-up for his 25th World Snooker Championship has been varied to say the least.

But then he faces no ordinary match in today's opening round.

The seven-time champ meets Chinese wonderkid Anda Zhang, 18, who makes his debut on snooker's biggest stage by playing its most decorated player.

Back in 1986, a blossoming Hendry was applauded out of the arena after losing his first game against Willie Thorne.

Now Hendry, 41, has come full circle and is one of the giants of the baize, even if it has been 11 years since he last won the big one.

The Scot said: "Preparing for The Crucible is always difficult. My kids have been off for Easter and, while I was practising three to four hours a day, I also had to take them to the pictures to see Clash of The Titans.

"I still get a massive buzz going to Sheffield for the World Championship. I'm sure Anda is excited. I bet he can't wait to play me.

"I couldn't wait to play my first match there. You shouldn't be in professional sport if you don't look forward to games like this.

"I am excited, because I don't know what to expect. It's five or six years since I last won a tournament.

"After playing Willie, I said I'd be world champion by 21 and retire at 25. Yet I'm still going. I had lots of five-year plans and just carried on because I love the game and can still play it.

"Back in the 1990s, I'd look ahead to see who I'd be playing in the semi-finals. Now it's very much one game at a time.

"The targets have changed, too. The season started with me at No 10 and I'll need a really good Crucible to achieve my target of being top eight.

"But to have done 25 years consistently in the top 16 is something to be proud of."

Hendry's steely fixation on success has mellowed with age, though the rush of blood that comes with tournament play remains a key component of his longevity.

Times have changed around him. The new kids on the chalk are coming from the Far East not the fertile fields of Scotland, which produced him and reigning world champ John Higgins among others.

Zhang has stormed through four qualifiers just for the privilege of playing Hendry.

He even succeeded in putting ex-world champ John Parrott into retirement with one of his wins.

Hendry reached the quarter-finals of the recent China Open and made the last eight in Sheffield last year, hitting a sensational 147 maximum en route to remind fans there is life in him yet.

He added: "I'm a bit lazy now-adays. I can't be bothered to drive an hour for a game, so I tend to work on my own.

Advertisement
Quantcast

"Most players do six or seven hours but that's usually in company. I work on my own so although I cannot do what an 18-year-old does, I still do a lot of preparation.

"It's the same routines and drills I've done since I was a teenager. That's 25 years of the same stuff. It can grind you down but being a snooker player is my job."

Hendry genuinely believes he still has another big title in his armoury. But he has tipped rejuvenated friend and former world champ Mark Williams as a decent bet to go on to be the man to win this year's Crucible crown.

He said: "Mark had a good win in China and only narrowly lost to Ronnie O'Sullivan at The Masters in January.

"He has to play him again in the second round and, if he comes through that, then he is really on fire. John Higgins is also looking good but, grudgingly, I'd tip Mark."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... attle.html

Re: Hendry interview in The Sun

Postby Wildey

you might be up now but ill be bringing you down with a bump and snake hissing on you from a great hight. <ok> <laugh>

Postby Wildey

im not even up for this match its a no contest ill tune in watch hendry thrash him and go on to another match.

Postby Wildey

wildJONESEYE wrote:im not even up for this match its a no contest ill tune in watch hendry thrash him and go on to another match.

thanx smart for bumping this up.

my comment there was wrong this guy definitely handled it far better than i gave him credit.

at 9-7 one shot cost him the match he could have won 10-7 but you show a glimmer of weakness just like Allen 2 years ago and no matter how bad hendry plays he can still get it back from somewhere like all great players.

Postby Smart

I have to admit that there is something in-built in Hendo that kicks in when he is facing defeat he gets the steely eye look and delivers ..... I am big enough to credit him where he is due credit.

I will be surprised if Zhanger does not do well in the next 3 or so years, because he has a lot going for him.

I just knew that what he had shown in qualifiers was not a fluke and that was proved right.

I will be back in Sheffield for qualies again in March and hope to get R1 tickets again for next year. <ok>

Postby Casey

Hendy said Zhang reminded him of himself at that age…..that’s a big compliment. What I really liked a Zhang is that he was not afraid to take his time over the shots and 9 times out of 10 he player the correct shot. That’s a big attribute to have at that age, and is only going to get better.

Postby Smart

case_master wc wrote:Hendy said Zhang reminded him of himself at that age…..that’s a big compliment. What I really liked a Zhang is that he was not afraid to take his time over the shots and 9 times out of 10 he player the correct shot. That’s a big attribute to have at that age, and is only going to get better.

Yep he was very composed, floated a lot of balls full length when under pressure, and tactically was not really found wanting (despite his lack of experience). <ok>

Postby Wildey

to be that composed on his crucible debut with the confidence to roll balls as appose to most thumping them in he has a great future lets hope he can build on it next season and climb the rankings..

Postby Smart

compare and contrast him with Wenbo................. who I literally cannot stand watching, he is very frustrating - way too much think time, way too much practice shots and pacing the table and face pulling ......

Zhanger every time over Wenny. :wave: