Post a reply

WPBSA AGM

Postby Wildey

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 02,00.html

Pathetic Turnout in the AGM with only 14 players voting

all 14 Backed Jason Ferguson as Chairman

I have to ask the Question? What gives Snooker Players the right to voice their concerns on Twitter or any other medium if they cant be fussed to attend or Vote in a AGM Regarding the future of how the Sport is Run.

Put up or Shut up is the message.

Re: WPBSA AGM

Postby PLtheRef

An absolute disgrace. 14 Votes is below even Pathetic really.

All of the players on tour were essentially available, even just turning up to cast a vote would be helpful. Really, how can a governing body which is supposed to represent the players go forward if just 10.94% of those on tour decide to vote. Of course, due wind to those players who were playing at the time but that doesn't make it any better.

Really, I don't think this benefits anyone. To give any sort of validity to these elections, there should be a rule where an AGM can only occur if a Minimum of 1/3 of the members are actually present, 42 members is hardly many, but it still shows some remote interest from the players.

Nothing against Ferguson and Chamberlain's elections. Both I think are decent appointments

I think it'd be good to know which players actually turned up to the AGM.

One thing is for certain though, a huge number of snooker players have abdicated their right to complain about the way the tour is run and the governing body operates.

And when I thought that these apathetic days were gone

Postby Andre147

Exactly, if they cant be fussed to cast a vote on how the sport should be run in the future, then they have no right whatsoever to have an oppinion regarding those running it, even more so when some of them go on Twitter with their donkey doo.

I would also like to know those who were present, but WS won't reveal that I'm sure, but maybe only guessing I can have an idea of some of those who did attend that.

Postby Wildey

Starting to draw up a list of players at the AGM

Mark Allen
Mark Davis
Michael Holt
Alan McManus

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:Was Ronnie there?

He probably told Barry Hearn that he doesn't like to play in a flat system away from venues like Barnsley then Barry told him i don't give a buck what you want and then Ronnie had the sulks. <ok>

Postby Wildey

Graeme Dott another that was there

Postby snooky147

Wildey wrote:
Jewell wrote:Was Ronnie there?

He probably told Barry Hearn that he doesn't like to play in a flat system away from venues like Barnsley then Barry told him i don't give a buck what you want and then Ronnie had the sulks. <ok>

That's my problem with Hearn. These guys have put in close to £600,000 in entry fees in a season so where there is a problem and there are problems apart from the flat 128 then it is not professional for a CEO of a company to simply tell people if they don't like it to get another job. They are paying good money to play the sport. They need the Chairman to be a bit more respectful and not the arrogant ass he comes across as.

Postby Wildey

Snooky with respect this sport has done things for the players for many years and it got us nowhere at all the fact only 8 players attended a AGM Shows lack of respect for the sport so they get the same lack of respect back.

With someone like Barry you got to earn his respect and Moaning in the Press and on Twitter just wont cut it with him he much prefer players to approach him with grievances face to face than slagging off in the Press.

Postby Roland

You could argue that only 8 showing up shows the rest are happy with where the game is at the moment

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:You could argue that only 8 showing up shows the rest are happy with where the game is at the moment

i hope it does because it really has never been better.

i was never a fan of barry hearn and although there are things thats been done that i dont necessarily agree with after 4 years at the helm he has transformed a sport that was dying ok everything not perfect yet and he knows that but atleast the players got a sport to play.

yup expenses are going through the roof but young players are also earning cash look at Lyu Haoatian hes just turned 16 and hes already earned £13,500 while kids his age are running up huge debts in collage.

Postby Roland

£13,500 won't get you very far to be fair but then he's not noticeably had any major runs

Postby snooky147

Wildey wrote:Snooky with respect this sport has done things for the players for many years and it got us nowhere at all the fact only 8 players attended a AGM Shows lack of respect for the sport so they get the same lack of respect back.

With someone like Barry you got to earn his respect and Moaning in the Press and on Twitter just wont cut it with him he much prefer players to approach him with grievances face to face than slagging off in the Press.

He is the Chairman of several multi million pound companies mate. The 8 players that attended had some issues but I dont know his response apart from him getting a lighting issue dealt with but if his response was at any time to go get another job it would just confirm what I already believe.

Postby Roland

One thing about him is I wish he would spend more time on snooker, his twitter feed is more focussed around boxing, darts and Leyton Orient than snooker. Not very reassuring but then you can't really diss him given what he's done to snooker since taking over.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:£13,500 won't get you very far to be fair but then he's not noticeably had any major runs

no but its further than most 16 year olds will get before they left school.

Postby Roland

Yes but take out travel. entry fees and accommodation and there won't be much left for food and bills let alone leisure. Still, Haotian will make a lot of money at this game that's pretty clear.

Postby vodkadiet

A lower ranked British snooker player may have to take on a second job, maybe as an M.P?

Postby snooky147

Sonny wrote:Yes but take out travel. entry fees and accommodation and there won't be much left for food and bills let alone leisure. Still, Haotian will make a lot of money at this game that's pretty clear.

A 64 to 128 player, playing in everything will be approx £4,400 in entry fees in the season. Estimate travelling, hotels and food, even on the low side to be at the very least £15,000 for the season so a total of £say £20,000 a year to play snooker which equates to £384 A WEEK just to pick the cue up. It's more like £500 A WEEK for the top 64 so you need to have earned around 80 K in the year just to break even and pay bills such as TAX.

Postby Roland

80K is a bit steep isn't it Snooky? I'd happily take 80K and pay entry fees, travel and accommodation out of it.

Postby vodkadiet

They should get it down to 32 players before they travel abroad. It seems pointless just playing 1 round in Barnsley.

Postby snooky147

Sonny wrote:80K is a bit steep isn't it Snooky? I'd happily take 80K and pay entry fees, travel and accommodation out of it.

It's not steep when you have to consider tax and NI plus normal everyday cost of living, direct debits and stuff, all the things you need whether in a flat on your own or in a house with a partner. Not even gonna try to calculate the figure needed when kids involved but suffice to say not many will reach that figure.

Postby Roland

I would've put the figure closer to £40K to start having spare cash to throw around i.e. enough to live off and make it worth sticking at it as a career. Plus if you're earning that you're good enough to have a bonus run or two. I agree though, it's hard on the lower ranked players who must get a second income. I imagine most will be working at the clubs they practice at doing bar work and brushing the tables.

Postby snooky147

Sonny wrote:I would've put the figure closer to £40K to start having spare cash to throw around i.e. enough to live off and make it worth sticking at it as a career. Plus if you're earning that you're good enough to have a bonus run or two. I agree though, it's hard on the lower ranked players who must get a second income. I imagine most will be working at the clubs they practice at doing bar work and brushing the tables.

Sorry mate , we'll have to agree to disagree here lol. Take into account a flat alone. The rent on a flat and everything that comes with.

Postby vodkadiet

Michael Holt has a second job, he is a Hitman I have heard.

Postby Roland

What it comes down to Snooky is amount left after expenses and before tax. Not food or rent or anything like that, just expenses (flights, accommodation, entry fees) and then work out if you would be making a better living doing something else. That depends on the individuals qualifications and abilities so you could have a potential banker who would be on 200K but obviously he'd need to be top 10 in order to make it worth while, or you could have another player who would only be living off benefits otherwise in which case they make 20K in prize money and they're level. We all have to find money for tax and transport and food and rent/mortgage, it's a part of being in this society.

Postby snooky147

Yeah, but you find that money through your job which in this case is snooker.

Postby Roland

The stress of it not being a steady income is something I sympathise with. Imagine playing for your livelihood and knowing if you lose the next match you won't be able to afford xmas but if you win you'll be flush and can splash out. That only puts pressure on the player which in turn is bound to make a lot of them play negatively. That's one of the pitfalls of being a professional sportsman I suppose.

Take that long jumper. He won the Olympics and was a hero, next thing he's being dropped by his sponsors and left by the wayside. Harsh career!

Postby snooky147

None of those 128 would get a loan at the bank for a mortgage simply because they have no gauranteed income. The top players may well be cash flush but they will be credit poor. No bank in their right mind would loan to a snooker player, especially those ranked between 32 and 128.

Postby PLtheRef

vodkadiet wrote:They should get it down to 32 players before they travel abroad. It seems pointless just playing 1 round in Barnsley.

Absolutely; the international events at the moment cannot cater for fields beyond 32. They've doubled the fields, and therefore doubled the matches played at the venues, but the venue sizes aren't bigger. No questions have been raised about any of these venues though yet York isn't apparently big enough

Have 64 fields for the Domestic Events, and 32 finals fields for the International events

Postby Wildey

This is laughable

Sorry Guys but welcome to the real world how is snooker going to give £80,000 even £40,000 a year to every player on tour even if they cant win matches.

The Cash is there but you got to be successful or find something else to do take David Morris hes on almost £38,000 for this season before christmas so potential is there to make £40,000+ a season but Sport is not a steady income you have to earn it.

£80,000 per player works out at over £10,000,000 before you talk about first Prizes of £300,000, £200,000 or £150,000 for winning tournaments.

ive found a return flight to Beijing and back in March for £423 from Manchester Airport.