Post a reply

Can Robbo make 100 tons this season ?

Postby GJ

We are only half way through the season and the WN1 is currently on 58 centurues.

Can he make 100 in 1 season ?

It will be tough but he can do it imo.

Re: Can Robbo make 100 tons this season ?

Postby GJ

Lucky wrote:More importantly. ...who cares.

jamie cope :wave:

Postby Sickpotter

Don't see why not with all the events available.

I think the next couple of years will give us much higher centuries per season averages than we've seen before, but that doesn't necessarily mean better play, it may just be a reflection of the fact that there's more events to play.

A more important stat IMO is the frames per century which takes into account the higher number of frames being played.

Postby SnookerFan

He can, but as had been said, you have to factor in the amount of tournaments there are nowadays.

If he doesn't do it this season, somebody else will sooner or later.

Postby Andre147

I don't know, as there is only 1 PTC left he may not reach 100 tons this season, but then again if he keeps reaching the latter stages of tournaments and keeps scoring the way he has then I can't see no reason for him not to reach 100 tons.

Though yeah just think in the 90s had Hendry had so many events like this how many tons you think he could have reached? He by now would be well above 1000 tons in a career, and Ronnie very close to 1000 too. It's just the way it is at the moment, but I'm not taking any credit from Robbo here, he's an amazing player and has been scoring fantastic :hatoff:

The closest this season is Ding on 38 odd isn't he? And followed by Ronnie and Selby with 28, so yeah truly amazing from Robbo to already have 58. :hatoff:

Postby GJ

SnookerFan wrote:He can, but as had been said, you have to factor in the amount of tournaments there are nowadays.

If he doesn't do it this season, somebody else will sooner or later.

so trumps record of 61 is poor then because there were a similiar number of events last season and half way through this season robbo is matching his full season total :wave:

Postby SnookerFan

GJ wrote:
so trumps record of 61 is poor then because there were a similiar number of events last season and half way through this season robbo is matching his full season total :wave:

I was implying nothing, sir. If Robertson does it, it'll be a good achievement. :spot on:

Postby GJ

SnookerFan wrote:
GJ wrote:

I was implying nothing, sir. If Robertson does it, it'll be a good achievement. :spot on:

<ok>

Postby Sickpotter

frames played vs centuries made....it's the only way to find a comperable stat with all the available events and no consistent # of frames played from player to player.

We see the # of tons getting real high but I doubt the FP vs Tons percentage has changed all that much.

Postby GJ

Sickpotter wrote:frames played vs centuries made....it's the only way to find a comperable stat with all the available events and no consistent # of frames played from player to player.

We see the # of tons getting real high but I doubt the FP vs Tons percentage has changed all that much.

robbo scored 4 in a best of 7

not bad eh :hatoff:

Postby GJ

simplysnooker wrote:Willing to do a wager he won't get to 80 before the end of the season

deal

you name the wager <ok> :wave:

Postby Skullman

Have to say I doubt he'll make it to 100 just because there's only one PTC left and it seems like he's slowed down to 'only' one century per match on average now. Plus he has to have a dip in form at some point.

I'd say around the 77-85 mark, but I'm not going to make any more wagers for a while rofl

Postby Muppet147

GJ wrote:We are only half way through the season and the WN1 is currently on 58 centurues.

Can he make 100 in 1 season ?

It will be tough but he can do it imo.

Robbo is supreme at winning meaningless competitions. So I would say, "yeah, he can do it." If you want to know whether he will ever win the world championship again, my answer would be "no way, he'll never get a lucky draw again."

Postby The Cueist

No , He wont be able to see clearly enough
With all the tears in his eyes.

I predict he will get to 87 and something will happen
That will bring a tear to his eye which I predict will
Ruin at least 27 potential centuries.

It will just be another crying shame.

Postby SnookerFan

GJ wrote:Record officially broken

62 and counting

He's certainly giving it a good go, isn't he?

In fact, I am now predicting by the time the last ball is potted at The Crucible Theatre this year, Neil Robertson will have made 100 centuries or more.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:

62 and counting

In fact, I am now predicting by the time the last ball is potted at The Crucible Theatre this year, Neil Robertson will have made 100 centuries or more.

For me it will all depend how long he goes in this CL little tourney... if he for instance wins this group, then it certainly won't be that easy to reach 100 tons. Though I know that by the time he won the UK Champs he was just one ton short of Judd's record, amazing isn't it... :hatoff:

It will be beneficiary for him for instance not to win this CL group and keep the tons tally going. Of course he won't be thinking about that, and if he loses it certainly won't be on purpose, he always gives 100% on every match.

Postby Muppet147

SnookerFan wrote:

62 and counting

No need to wait till the last ball is potted. Robbo will probably lose in the first round yet again. <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Muppet147 wrote:No need to wait till the last ball is potted. Robbo will probably lose in the first round yet again. <ok>

Okay. If you insist, I'll edit my stance.

In fact, I am now predicting by the time he gets knocked out at The Crucible Theatre this year, Neil Robertson will have made 100 centuries or more.

Thanks for bringing this important semantic point to our attention. :|

Postby Muppet147

SnookerFan wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:No need to wait till the last ball is potted. Robbo will probably lose in the first round yet again. <ok>

Okay. If you insist, I'll edit my stance.

In fact, I am now predicting by the time he gets knocked out at The Crucible Theatre this year, Neil Robertson will have made 100 centuries or more.

Thanks for bringing this important semantic point to our attention. :|

Our?? How many of you are there in that fat suit?

Postby Andy Spark

I don't care how many tons Robbo makes. The century count stat is more or less meaningless and I'm saying this as a Ronnie fan who will probably overtake Hendry at the head of overall centuries made soon. Century RATE! That is the stat that makes sense, or if you want a better one 75 break rate, as who needs the other 25 points. Mark Williams couldn't be bothered a lot of the time.

In the future we'll see players who aren't half as good as Hendry at break building wizzing past him on overall centuries made simply because they've played far more frames, it's meaningless. While we're at it lets get 147 RATE started as a stat, top players playing low ranked opposition often sacrifice a more likely century break to try and get a 147.

Postby Andre147

You make a very good point Andy Spark, it's not just because you can in theory have 100 tons in a season that suddently you're one of the best breakbuilders in the game, BUT you can't deny the amazing scoring power Robbo has had in recent times and who knows if he carries on like this for 1 or 2 more seasons for instance how many tons he'll have when he finishes his career. Hendry still leads I think the overall century rate, but as I said we have to take our hats off to what Neil has done so far this season, which has been simply amazing. Even a Hendry at his peak if he had this amount of tourneys in his heyday would be more than happy to what Robbo has done so far and keeps doing. :hatoff: Knocking in centuries for fun.

Postby Skullman

Despite there being more frames these days, Robbo breaking the previous century record in January is still an amazing achievement, especially as there isn't such a big difference in frame played between 2013/4 and 2012/3.

Plus looking at century rates like you suggest, Robbo is a fair bit behind ROS at the moment, this is because he's only really improved his breakbuilding this season. Looking at seasonal rates , Robbo is currently on 7.83 this season, which has been beaten by ROS thrice (in 2006/7, 2007/8 and 2010/1) - disregarding any anomalies caused by people playing one match in a season and making two tons.

That's not bad, considering there's still time for improvement this season.

Postby Roland

I reckon Robbo's ton rate this season must have something to do with the advice Hendry gave him about his amateurish break building previously.

It doesn't matter what you think about century rates and the fact Williams used to play exhibition shots once frame was won (which incidentally made him uber cool at the time). The fact remains that Robertson this season has been phenomenal. It's not just that he makes a lot of centuries, it's that he makes them in such a condensed period. He won a PTC match 4-0 with 4 centuries, and he'd made a century in the last frame of his previous match which wasn't the only one, and he made 3 centuries yesterday in his 3-0 win against Perry in which Perry potted a red and a black but Robbo potted every single other available ball in the match. He's not doing a century here and a century there, he's blitzing opponents hitting tons with same regularity others make 30 breaks. It's absolutely outstanding what he's doing this season. If he wins the Worlds in April then you can only say he deserves it. He will never top this season in terms of tons and I doubt anyone else will for a very very long time. Enjoy it while it lasts.