Post a reply

Weighted H2H System

Postby Snooker Overdrive

We talk a lot about Head to Head records in snooker. Websites like CueTracker or snooker.org provide reliable data. But the problem I have with the simple standard h2h statistics is that all matches are counted as equally important. Even completely meaningless matches like the Champions League are counted.

I thought there should be a way making these h2h records more meaningful. The idea is a weighted system in which matches are rated accordingly:

Champions League, Premier League & other matches: 0 points
PTC events & round robin (ranking) matches: 1 point
Standard ranking event: 2 points
UK & Masters: 3 points
World Championship: 4 points

Example 1: Barry Hawkins vs Mark Selby

not weighted: BH 7-5 MS
weighted: BH 16-6 MS

Example 2: John Higgins vs Ronnie O'Sullivan

not weighted: JH 25 - 28 RO
weighted: JH 41-24 RO

I think the weighted system gives a more correct reflection of the actual outcome in an important match. I know it's some work to weight all matches but I think it would be worth it.

What do you guys think about my system?

Re: Weighted H2H System

Postby Skullman

I agree with the idea in principle. I know Ron Florax, who runs Cue Tracker is planning on adding a filter for H2H at some point, so that'll help a bit. But I'm not entirely sure whether a standard ranker is worth twice a PTC, especially as it's only two frames more.

Also, if there was some way to differentiate between rounds. For example, semi of a ranking event is more important than a UK last 32, especially now that it's only best of 11.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:I agree with the idea in principle. I know Ron Florax, who runs Cue Tracker is planning on adding a filter for H2H at some point, so that'll help a bit. But I'm not entirely sure whether a standard ranker is worth twice a PTC, especially as it's only two frames more.

Also, if there was some way to differentiate between rounds. For example, semi of a ranking event is more important than a UK last 32, especially now that it's only best of 11.

If you consider price money and prestige, a standard ranker is even worth more than twice a PTC.

To differentiate between rounds is an interesting idea but I'm not sure how to implement that without making the system too complicated.

Postby snooker loopy

You can work this out by looking at the data yourself. Although in my opinion a player should play every match like it's got a WC final importance.

Postby Wildey

head to head is head to head

you start a match at 0-0 play best of x frames and who ever wins gets a win doesn't matter about length or prestige of an event when working out head to heads.

Postby Roland

Exactly Wild. It wasn't too long ago when there was no data. It's only a guide and if it includes minor events then just go to Cuetracker and study the list to make up your own mind.

Postby roy142857

Sort-of like the idea of weighting, but agreeing something that's truly reflective may be difficult. Probably more prestige to the Paul Hunter than other PTCs for instance.

Also, winning in a lesser competition may give a player confidence against the same player when they come up against them in a full ranking competition.

Actually, the thing that gets hidden by head-to-head sometimes is trends, if there was to be additional information in the head-to-head stats that are available to us, I'd quite like to see two season and all-time separately ... but nothing really beats actually looking at what's behind the head-to-head.

Postby Wildey

in Tennis they have head to heads in

Grass
Hard Courts
Indoor
Clay

but it doesn't differentiate from Best of 3 or Best of 5 sets or Grand slam

yes winning championship league or PL Means nothing compared to the UK or WC however its a match win like sonny said you can make up your own mind by going on Cuetracker website.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild I think you're missing my point. You admit that the current H2H statistics have little meaning and you're only suggestion is that everyone who's interesting in what's really going on should look it up on Cuetracker.

A weighted system provides a more meaningful figure at a glance that represents the actual balance of power between two players a lot better.

Postby Wildey

But its not head to head

scenario Ronnie wins 7 matches in PL against the same player using this system Ronnie on 0 and the other guy on 0

Meanwhile in the Welsh Open player B Beats Ronnie 4-3 now its Ronnie 7-1 on head to heads but in reality its 2-0 to Player B

Postby PLtheRef

Interesting system and a good one to bear in mind when but I think it should be 1-2-3-4-5 all matches should count for something or there's no point in playing those matches

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:Exactly Wild. It wasn't too long ago when there was no data. It's only a guide and if it includes minor events then just go to Cuetracker and study the list to make up your own mind.

Yeah agree, we should just be grateful that a website like CueTracker exists, it's the most accurate snooker database ever.

It's not too hard to check it up and make our own minds of what's important and what's not so important in respective head to heads between players.

Postby Wildey

Just want to clarify something Theres nothing Wrong in Ranking a Win over a opponent if that what you want to do But its not Head to Head.