Post a reply

Re: Steve Davis set for the Jungle

Postby SnookerFan

I heard rumours about this last week.

Don't really care as I won't watch it. But you wonder why he'd want to do it. It's bad enough when random C-listers from the 80s do it, because they're trying to revive their career. But Steve still has a job commentating and providing analysis when he isn't playing, and must have enough money in the bank. Why go and eat bugs and kangeroo's testicles, just for the sake of getting on telly? :?

Postby Alex0paul

Not entered either European Tour event so looks a strong possibility.

Postby roy142857

Does he think his Tour place is safe? His position looks fairly ok but hardly guaranteed in both Top 64 and European Order of Merit, really surprised he's not cementing his place by playing in the two up-coming events.

Postby Wildey

roy142857 wrote:Does he think his Tour place is safe? His position looks fairly ok but hardly guaranteed in both Top 64 and European Order of Merit, really surprised he's not cementing his place by playing in the two up-coming events.

the telling point will be when the Draw for the UK Championship is out if hes not in that then A Hes going in to the jungle and B his place on tour is in trouble he is 58 on the Money list.

i don't believe players like Steve and Jimmy should receive helping hand from the sport with Wild Cards and all that bullocks they've had 30+ years so if they cant hold on to a tour place on their own merit then its goodbye see you in Q School :wave:

Wild Cards should be issued to players Starting out on a career.

Postby Wildey

Steve Davis is now 1/100 that hes going to eat Kangaroo Balls and Crock baboons shiny behinds in the Jungle.

hes not playing in the UK Championship.

Postby Witz78

I disagree Wild

if new young players need a wildcard to get on tour, they cant be all theyre cracked up to be.

And take that chip off your shoulder about Jimmy and Steve for once. Youd think they were the only 2 older players on tour the way you only ever mention them when talking about older players. There legends of the game and im sure more folk would rather see them (even as a shadow of their former selves) than the bulk of other more senior members of the tour who are journeymen

Postby SnookerFan

Yeah. We all want youth to come through, but somebody being young doesn't give them a divine right to appear at a tournament.

Like anybody, they have to earn their runs in a tournament. If you win, you progress in a tournament. If the old guard are still winning, what are you supposed to do? Ban them for not being young?

Postby Wildey

Being a old player hes had his chance if he cant stay on tour tough rubbish close the door on the way out

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Being a old player hes had his chance if he cant stay on tour tough rubbish close the door on the way out

Surely, this applies to all players though?

Postby SnookerFan

By the way, I'm not necessarily disagreeing on the point that Steve shouldn't be given preferential treatment. If he wants to go and snake hiss about in the jungle rather than attempt to qualify for the UK Championship, that's his decision made. He shouldn't receive any help with wildcards or whatnot, if he can't be fussed to enter major tournaments like the UK.

Merely pointing out that if a player is good enough to win games against other top players, they are good enough. The date they were born isn't a factor.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:Being a old player hes had his chance if he cant stay on tour tough rubbish close the door on the way out

Surely, this applies to all players though?

yea But if a player shows promise in Q School but just about fails Give him a Wild Card and not because they are a legend.

If Steve falls off Tour he should go to Q School and take his chance.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:yea But if a player shows promise in Q School but just about fails Give him a Wild Card and not because they are a legend.

If Steve falls off Tour he should go to Q School and take his chance.

I see where you're coming from.

A player who has had past glories, but not recent success shouldn't be rewarded over a player with potential.

However, I don't think we should be itching to get rid of a hard working player, who is having decent runs in tournaments, just because they are on the wrong side of 40. Look at Mark Davis. It's possible.

I'm merely pointing out age isn't necessarily an indication of how good a player is.

Postby Wildey

I Agree its up to younger players to retire off the older players but then that happens and because hes a Legend he comes back with a 2 year card.

That cant be right surely.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Was listening to real radio today, the woman that done the news talking about the jungle refered to Davis as 'ex snooker player Stephen Davis' .

Postby roy142857

A two year tour card's a possibility if he drops out of the Top 64 but is one of the top 8 from outside the top 64 on the European Order of Merit.

Interesting day from a 'Davis watch' perspective. Jamie Jones did enough to pass Davis on the end of season list, whilst Mike Dunn and Michael Wasley passed Davis on the European Order of Merit. Ian Burns would do so if he wins tonight or wins his first match in Antwerp. And Martin O'Donnell needs just one win tomorrow or in Antwerp to pass Davis. All of which only matters if Davis and those players are not in the Top 64 at the end of the season of course.

Postby Wildey

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:Was listening to real radio today, the woman that done the news talking about the jungle refered to Davis as 'ex snooker player Stephen Davis' .

well that woman knows her stuff must be following matt at pro snooker blog.

Postby roy142857

... not to mention the snooker.org updates for the European Order of Merit ... which show Ian Burns, Martin O'Donnell and Joel Walker all surpassing Davis' position on the Order of Merit, and Peter Lines, Berry Pinches and David Grace all one win in Antwerp away from passing him.

Don't think many people would have expected all these players to close on/pass Davis so fast ... doesn't matter if he doesn't fall out of the Top 64 of course, but I'm already imagining him v Jimmy White for a place on Tour as a possibility by the end of the year ...

Postby Wildey

roy142857 wrote:... not to mention the snooker.org updates for the European Order of Merit ... which show Ian Burns, Martin O'Donnell and Joel Walker all surpassing Davis' position on the Order of Merit, and Peter Lines, Berry Pinches and David Grace all one win in Antwerp away from passing him.

Don't think many people would have expected all these players to close on/pass Davis so fast ... doesn't matter if he doesn't fall out of the Top 64 of course, but I'm already imagining him v Jimmy White for a place on Tour as a possibility by the end of the year ...

Jimmy White is definitely in the box seat

Postby SnookerFan

Am I the only one who finds the show I'm A Celebrity depressing? How can somebody be so desperate to be on television, they'd eat bugs and generally make fools of themselves just for a few brief seconds of 'fame'. I can't even believe it gets an audience.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:I don't find it depressing, I just find it bucking rubbish.

Well, I was taking that as generally understood. <laugh>

It's just sad people want fame this badly, really. Especially people who get paid to watch snooker, and talk about it. Why the buck would you rather do I'm A Celebrity?

Postby SnookerFan

Jewell wrote:Yeah, they get paid big money just for turning up.

Still, you'd think someone like Steve wouldn't really need the money.

That was going to be my next point.

Considering the options are getting paid to watch and talk about snooker in a heated studio and flirt with Hazel Irvine, or eat insects, testicles and camp out in a jungle with a group of people claiming to be celebrities. <laugh>

I know what I'd rather do. :-D