Topic locked

International Championship Last 16 Discussion !!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Sunday 27th of October - Sunday 3rd of November in Chengdu, China

Ronnie O'Sullivan, John Higgins and Mark Williams failed to reach this round.

But through are world no 1 Neil Robertson, world no 2 Mark Selby, former World Champions Peter Ebdon and Graeme Dott and Chinese stars Zhao Xintong, Liang Wenbo and Ding Junhui.

Who will reach the Quarter Finals?

DRAW

Last 16

Ryan Day v Fergal O'Brien H2H Day leads 1-0
Mark Allen v Joe Perry H2H Perry leads 4-3
Zhao Xintong v Marco Fu Never played before
Stuart Bingham v Mark Selby H2H Selby Leads 9-7
-----------------------------------------------------
Neil Robertson v Peter Ebdon H2H Ebdon Leads 6-2 ( 4-0 in chinese rankers)
Matthew Stevens v Ding Junhui H2H Ding Junhui leads 6-1
Graeme Dott v Kurt Maflin H2H 1-1
Mark Davis v Liang Wenbo H2H 2-2

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: International Championship Last 16 Discussion !!

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:Wednesday 30th of October

6.30am

Zhao Xintong v Marco Fu TV/streaming Guess
Neil Robertson v Peter Ebdon TV/streaming Guess
Mark Allen v Joe Perry
Graeme Dott v Kurt Maflin

11.30am

Ryan Day v Fergal O'Brien
Stuart Bingham v Mark Selby TV/streaming Guess
Mark Davis v Liang Wenbo
Matthew Stevens v Ding Junhui TV/streaming Guess

I think it's fair to say they will show those matches on TV in the morning session, although in the afternoon one it'll be interesting to see if they want 2 chinese players at the same time or Selby v Bibgham. I for one would go for the latter, but with WS you never know...

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:

6.30am

Zhao Xintong v Marco Fu TV/streaming Guess
Neil Robertson v Peter Ebdon TV/streaming Guess
Mark Allen v Joe Perry

11.30am

Stuart Bingham v Mark Selby TV/streaming Guess
Mark Davis v Liang Wenbo
Matthew Stevens v Ding Junhui TV/streaming Guess

I think it's fair to say they will show those matches on TV in the morning session, although in the afternoon one it'll be interesting to see if they want 2 chinese players at the same time or Selby v Bibgham. I for one would go for the latter, but with WS you never know...

That indeed will be interesting to see. I guess it's Selby's turn to be on a tv table.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Jewell wrote:
Skullman wrote:But if it's rustiness, will two matches in a month really help?

Yes.

A very important part of the season is coming up. This defeat will hopefully allow him to reassess and refocus.

You have to remember that he has won the last two major ranking events he has competed in and you wouldn't blame him for starting to think it all abit too easy. Hopefully, this is the wake up call that he needed.

Agree, some forget that he too like Ding was trying to win 3 Major rankers in a row, 2012, 2013 Worlds, but unfortunately the IC wasn't to be. Sometimes players need defeats like this to know they need to improve, and like you say hopefully he'll come back stronger in an important part of the season with the CoC, UK and Masters especially.

Ronnie was not going for 3 Rankers in a row he has entered Tournaments and withdrawn in between those 2 World titles and Wuxi this season he pulled out.

Winning 3 Rankers in a row is a special feat because it shows consistent form over a short time span not with a year between 1st and 2nd.

Postby Wildey

Wednesday 30th of October

6.30am

Zhao Xintong v Marco Fu TV/streaming
Neil Robertson v Peter Ebdon TV/streaming
Mark Allen v Joe Perry

11.30am

Stuart Bingham v Mark Selby
Mark Davis v Liang Wenbo TV/streaming
Matthew Stevens v Ding Junhui TV/streaming

Postby Andre147

6.30am

Zhao Xintong v Marco Fu TV/streaming
Neil Robertson v Peter Ebdon TV/streaming
Mark Allen v Joe Perry

11.30am

Stuart Bingham v Mark Selby
Mark Davis v Liang Wenbo TV/streaming
Matthew Stevens v Ding Junhui TV/streaming

It's confirmed then :|

Although I think Selby should have got the TV match, but I guess the chinese want Wenbo to have it, especially after he knocked out Ronnie.

Postby hendry_fan

Graeme Dott,the pride of Scotland in this tournament. :-)

Ebdons done well to get far after losin the plot for a while,i can,t see him get past Robbo though.

Stevens has also done well to get this far but has,nt got a chance against Ding.

Selby indeed has gotten the finger out,difficult call who,ll win this one though.

Postby Witz78

A virtual bye for The Force here

worst possible draw for Robbo and GJ here

Have a feeling this might be the tourney Ebdon produces the magic to bag that customary ranker that he gets every couple of years against the odds

Great win for Kurt and also great to see young Xing winning again.

Not sad to see Ronnie lose at Wenbos expense, chuffed to see him finally getting his form back after being ridiculed by many in last few seasons.

Postby Andre147

Witz78 wrote:A virtual bye for The Force here

worst possible draw for Robbo and GJ here

Have a feeling this might be the tourney Ebdon produces the magic to bag that customary ranker that he gets every couple of years against the odds

Great win for Kurt and also great to see young Xing winning again.

Not sad to see Ronnie lose at Wenbos expense, chuffed to see him finally getting his form back after being ridiculed by many in last few seasons.

Wenbo certainly has the potencial to at least win a ranker, but his form did go on a downward spiral after 2009 and only over the last couple of months he recovered it. It's still to early in the tourney though, and personally I think he will be a little bit too hyped after winning against Ronnie and Mavis will get the better of him.

As for Ebdon, yes he very now and then wins a ranker, but this time I really can't see how Robbo can lose, he is playing just too damn good at the moment, even considering that 4 nil head to head Ebdon has in chinese rankers, 6-2 overall in their meetings.

And I also want a Ding v Robbo clash, by FAR the 2 best players at the moment. :hatoff:

Postby Roland

Every player has their bogey players and Ebdon is Robbo's, just look at the head to heads. Obviously you have to fancy Robbo the way he's playing at the moment but if Ebdon wins then it proves he's got something about him Robbo can't cope with.

Postby Skullman

If anyone can forget about bad head to heads and overturn them, it's Robbo. Smurph and Mags used to be his bogey players, with 8-4 and 8-1 head to heads against him. But Smurph hasn't beaten once in ten times since 2010, and Mags only in the CL since 2009.

Anyway, we'll have to wait and see I suppose.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Yes Robbo is quite good at that sort of thing but I also have to add that since 2009/2010 Maguire's and Murphy's standard dropped while Robertson's massively improved.

You're right regarding Murphy, though have to disagree with you on Maguire cause since the 2011/2012 season he has reached the finals of both the German Masters and China, losing narrowly to Ronnie and Ebdon respectively, and last season won the Welsh Open, he hadn't won a ranker since the 2007 Northern Ireland trophy, so Mags standard has indeed improved over the last couple of years, whereas Murphy, apart from that final in the UK last season, hasn't done much, despite a times being consistent.

Robbo of course has improved so much that he is a much better player than when he won the Worlds in 2010, back then I thought that was the peak of his form, but his safety and scoring departments in particular have improved massively.

Postby Odrl

Skullman wrote:Marco Fu is looking good. Top half's best (and only) chance of maintaining the pattern of no British players in finals.

O'Brien is still in it as well. ;-)

But yeah, good stuff from Fu, punished most of Zhao's mistakes today. Might not get as many chances against someone like Selby though...

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:Looks like Ebdon's found his break making boots.

Why are you surprised? He plays his favourite opponent.

The last/only time I saw Ebdon beat Robbo it was a complete grindfest and very few breaks. Plus I didn't think Ebdon had the firepower to take Neil head on.