Post a reply

Snooker, the movie.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

hey folks, just sitting watching the colour of money, one of my favourite movies, that and the hustler. just got me thinking if there had been any good snooker movies made and if you have any ideas of one.

me, ill go for the obvious, alex higgins. that would be a great story for the big screen thou im not a big fan of him it would make good viewing with the sex drugs and rock n roll snooker.
hope to hear your thoughts :-)

Re: Snooker, the movie.

Postby Roland

The Hustler is a great movie albeit with bad effects in places because of it's age e.g. punch to the face which misses by miles etc. The Color of Money isn't as good, Tom Cruise is just a bell end in it as he is with everything else.

I doubt we'll see a snooker movie any time soon. Alex Higgins would be the obvious story to go for though if anyone ever did make one. After all his story is full of smokey snooker halls, hustling and getting into fights which would make a good film.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:The Hustler is a great movie albeit with bad effects in places because of it's age e.g. punch to the face which misses by miles etc. The Color of Money isn't as good, Tom Cruise is just a bell end in it as he is with everything else.

I doubt we'll see a snooker movie any time soon. Alex Higgins would be the obvious story to go for though if anyone ever did make one. After all his story is full of smokey snooker halls, hustling and getting into fights which would make a good film.

rofl rofl rofl

Postby Roland

I've not heard of that one. Quite an all star line up as well. I'll have to hunt it down

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Sonny wrote:The Hustler is a great movie albeit with bad effects in places because of it's age e.g. punch to the face which misses by miles etc. The Color of Money isn't as good, Tom Cruise is just a bell end in it as he is with everything else.

actually thought tom cruise played that part well. maybe it was because tom was supposed to be a bell end so it came natural <laugh>

Postby Roland

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:

actually thought tom cruise played that part well. maybe it was because tom was supposed to be a bell end so it came natural <laugh>

I guess he was the prime candidate for the role.

I saw it on VHS must be around the time it came out, then got the hustler and com dvds on ebay for about a quid a couple of years ago and watched them back to back. Hustler is a much much better movie.

Postby Dannyboy

SnookerFan wrote:Have you ever seen Billy The Kid and The Green Baize Vampire?

Odd film. <laugh>

Is that the one with Jimmy White in? pmsl

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Sonny wrote:
Ayrshirebhoy wrote:

I guess he was the prime candidate for the role.

I saw it on VHS must be around the time it came out, then got the hustler and com dvds on ebay for about a quid a couple of years ago and watched them back to back. Hustler is a much much better movie.

oh yeah the hustler is the best without doubt, minnesota fats is class and never realised for years he was the sheriff in smokey and the bandit rofl

Postby Cannonball

The life and times of the Rocket! Complex personality and social circles, including a parent in the clink for murder. Drink, drugs and 147s in record time, dumping the game, only to come back to dominate it like the ultimate phoenix. Depression and ecstasy. Higgins would be good, but I'd have to give it to the GOAT.You couldn't make up Ronnie's life, so a colourful movie script would be easy peasy. Of course, Ronnie would give up snooker to direct it..... :john:

Postby Wildey

Trumpster wrote:The life and times of the Rocket! Complex personality and social circles, including a parent in the clink for murder. Drink, drugs and 147s in record time, dumping the game, only to come back to dominate it like the ultimate phoenix. Depression and ecstasy. Higgins would be good, but I'd have to give it to the GOAT.You couldn't make up Ronnie's life, so a colourful movie script would be easy peasy. Of course, Ronnie would give up snooker to direct it..... :john:

God Ronnies Story would be so dull in the Movies ...

he will be Running a Lot , then go on the school Run not forgetting paying for his kids schooling then go on his computer and talk bullocks on twitter.

ohhh with a few frames of snooker thrown in when he could be bothered.

Postby Witz78

talking of snooker and movies I wonder what films titles would apply to snooker players and personalities ?

Dusk to Dawn - Rory McLeod
28 Weeks Later - Rod Lawler
Watchmen - Dominic Dale
Dracula - Ray Reardon
Airplane - Ali Carter
I am Legend - Barry Hearn
Silence of the Lambs - Mark Williams
Mask - Matt Selt
Artificial Intelligence - Dave Hendon

and last but not least....
Saturday Night Fever - Simple Franklin

Postby SnookerFan

Dannyboy wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Have you ever seen Billy The Kid and The Green Baize Vampire?

Odd film. <laugh>

Is that the one with Jimmy White in? pmsl

No, but wasn't Jimmy in some film about playing snooker against alot of kung-fu fighters or something. rofl

But the one I'm talking about, one of the characters is supposedly based on Jimmy White.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:anyone ever saw a film Poolhall Junkies before?

quite good viewing if I recall

£5 on Amazon. :chin:

Do you have to know a lot about pool to enjoy it?

Postby Andre147

Jewell wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Trumpster wrote:The life and times of the Rocket! Complex personality and social circles, including a parent in the clink for murder. Drink, drugs and 147s in record time, dumping the game, only to come back to dominate it like the ultimate phoenix. Depression and ecstasy. Higgins would be good, but I'd have to give it to the GOAT.You couldn't make up Ronnie's life, so a colourful movie script would be easy peasy. Of course, Ronnie would give up snooker to direct it..... :john:

he will be Running a Lot , then go on the school Run not forgetting paying for his kids schooling then go on his computer and talk bullocks on twitter.

A movie about Stephen Hendry would be duller than watching paint dry.

If they indeed made a snooker movie I think it would definately have to be either Alex Higgins, Ronnie, Jimmy White and maybe the one who made it all happen, Joe Davis.

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:
Wildey wrote:

A movie about Stephen Hendry would be duller than watching paint dry.

did i say anything different? <doh>

Postby Witz78

Thered be scope in a movie called The Peoples Champions documenting the passing of the baton from Higgins to Jimmy to Ronnie. The fact all 3 were mates with each other and lived similar lifestyles and played similar styles of snooker, would help add to the fun.

Postby Andre147

Witz78 wrote:Thered be scope in a movie called The Peoples Champions documenting the passing of the baton from Higgins to Jimmy to Ronnie. The fact all 3 were mates with each other and lived similar lifestyles and played similar styles of snooker, would help add to the fun.

Yeah agree, a movie about the 3 and their lifestyles would be the icing on the cake.

Postby Wildey

i think a Movie Surrounding the Idea Joe Davis and associates had about establishing the World Championship in mid 20s.

Postby SnookerFan

A film about Peter Ebdon and Ali Carter's fine work for the carrot juice marketing board would be fun to watchi. :spot on:

Postby Roland

One of the brothers who writes Alan Partridge (Neil Gibbons) has just tweeted this, thought I'd share since this topic exists and it's obviously tongue in cheek:

Neil Gibbons ‏@neilgibbons 3m

After Rush (Hunt & Lauda) and now Gold (Coe & Ovett), look out for my true-life sporting rivalry/personality clash movie Crucible.

Neil Gibbons ‏@neilgibbons 3m

Set in '82, Crucible sees Alex Higgins (Cillian Murphy) & Steve Davis (Grint) strive to be the best. But Thorburn (Crowe) has other ideas.