Help or Hindrance?

Ronnie is undoubtedly beneficial to snooker
64%
Hindrance, snooker needs to get rid of him
18%
Neutral
18%

Total votes : 28

Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan: Help or Hindrance to snooker?

Postby Alpha

These last few posts sum up O'Sullivan in a nutshell. As much of a bell-end as O'Sullivan can (and has) be off the table, the way the man plays on the table mean he has truly transcended his sport and is probably the main reason why there are still sponsors and broadcasters for UK tournaments

Postby Andre147

Alpha wrote:These last few posts sum up O'Sullivan in a nutshell. As much of a bell-end as O'Sullivan can (and has) be off the table, the way the man plays on the table mean he has truly transcended his sport and is probably the main reason why there are still sponsors and broadcasters for UK tournaments

There are some players more special than others because of everything they have done for the game, but I don't quite agree with you when you say he has transcended this sport because no player will ever be bigger than the sport itself. Snooker will survive and it showed last season without Ronnie, as it did without Alex Higgins for instance. of course with Ronnie still involved it makes it all the more better, but I say once again no player in history can be bigger than any sport.

Postby Cannonball

Snooker is full of robots. Ronnie saved snooker from itself. When he retires, snooker will be very boring. He's rock and roll with a cue.

Postby SnookerFan

Raziel wrote:I must admit that I am not usually a fan of Ronnie O'Sullivan's antics.

Some of these antics have been:

(1.) Walking out of a tournament, leaving paying fans sitting in their seats with no snooker to watch.

(2.) Entering tournaments, and then not turning up for them, disappointing fans who had booked tickets just to see him play.

(3.) Continually talking about packing in the game, changing his mind every five minutes, and leaving his fans not knowing what he is going to do.

(4.) Doing a load of other selfish, immature crap over the years which I can't be bothered to itemize and list.

If Ronnie O'Sullivan was appreciative of snooker fans who, in the end, are the people who pay his wages, he would not do the things I mentioned above.

Ronnie O'Sullivan comes across to me as a selfish, spoiled little brat who does not care about his fans at all. The only person Ronnie O'Sullivan seems to care about is Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Maybe, if he had ever been forced to do a "real" job, he would appreciate how fortunate he is to be able to earn millions of pounds by knocking little balls into holes with a stick.

It certainly did for Ray Reardon. Being trapped under a pile of rubble in a coal mine made Ray Reardon appreciate every second of how fortunate he was to be able to play snooker for a living.

However, Ronnie O'Sullivan does put "bums on seats". So I think that, even if he is a selfish, spoiled little brat, he is still an asset to snooker. I still love watching Ronnie O'Sullivan play, even though I am not a fan of him personally.

But, some people who do not like Ronnie O'Sullivan always try to take it too far. They try to make a big deal of everything that he does in the public eye.

And that brings me to Ronnie O'Sullivan's latest Tweets. Even if Ronnie O'Sullivan is a total bell-end, I don't think he should be subject to any kind of sanction for Tweeting something about his mate apparently being able to "nosh himself off".

That kind of thing, to me, is nothing but a harmless bit of fun.

And, in this "age of the Internet", anybody who is offended by what Ronnie O'Sullivan Tweeted should really go and find something better to worry about.

:goodpost:

I agree with pretty much everything written here.

I didn't see the photo as I don't follow him on twitter, but his comments about his mate sucking himself off mean very little to me. Who cares?

And I agree that much though I think he's a total bell-end, Ronnie is popular with the fans and brings money in to the game. I was at a Shaun Murphy match in Telford on year. Ronnie was playing on the other table, and his match was full. There were five of us watching Murphy.

I’m not sure Ronnie’s popularity is down to him being a top bloke, but it’s there non-the-less.

It’s just a shame the way he acts a lot of the time.

Postby Sickpotter

Trumpster wrote:Snooker is full of robots. Ronnie saved snooker from itself. When he retires, snooker will be very boring. He's rock and roll with a cue.

Does this mean we'll no longer have to put up with your drivel? You'll stop watching when he leaves?

<ok>

Postby Cloud Strife

Roland wrote:I was disappointed he didn't enter the Indian (and was quite vocal about it) but then once I saw it was best of 7s and the relatively poor prize money I didn't blame him for skipping. It's just a shame he doesn't feel a duty as World Champion to be an ambassador for the game because I can only think of Carter and Allen as realistic WC contenders who would do the same and skip a lot of events that don't suit them personally. But Ronnie expressed regret at not entering Shanghai and seems gupping to get playing again so I think he'll turn up to most of the remaining big events this season and try and get in the PTC finals.

Regarding the crowd, it's just the ones who have a blatant disregard for the other players and have to shout "GO ON RONNIE" whenever his opponent misses that get on my tits but the problem is there are usually several of them at any one time. At the Crucible this year there was an Irish hammer in the row in front of me who kept having to shout "DIFFERENT CLASS RONNIE" and things like that constantly, totally not giving a rubbish how those around him wanted to hammer him one. And of course you had the Ronnie fan who brought the fart machine in and kept using it when Judd was down on his shot. It's only his fans that do things like that. I'm not tarring all his fans with the same brush but let's just say there are a vocal few who really get my back up and over the years they grind you down so that you end up wanting Ronnie to lose even though he's a joy to watch.

Pink Ball?