Post a reply

888.com World Seniors Championship.

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Qualifying Rounds 3rd of October at Barnsley Metrodome

Final Stages October 19th and 20th at Mountbatten Centre, Portsmouth

The World Seniors championship is back with Nigel Bond defending his title. This year there are 58 players starting out first in qualifying where two men will make their way to Portsmouth where 7 Times Champion of the World Stephen Hendry and the Ever popular Jimmy White will be waiting.

Competing in Qualifying will be Dave Harold the only player that's still on the Main Tour that will be trying to qualify, also there Eurosport Commentator former Hong Kong champion Mike Hallett, Former World Matchplay Champion and WPBSA Employer Gary Wilkinson, The Inaugural UK Champion Patsy Fagan and Former World no 8 Grimsby's Dean Raynolds.

Who will follow in the footsteps of Jimmy White, Darren Morgan and Nigel Bond as World Seniors Champion?

Re: 888.com World Seniors Championship.

Postby Wildey

Thursday 3rd of October

9am

Jimmy O'Shea v John McBride
Sean Lanigan v Guilio Rea
Anthony Harris v Bill Oliver
Mike Hallett v Steve Ventham
Tony Jones v Darren Thompson
Bill Kelly v Stephan Mazrocis
John Rea v Les Dodd
Gary Filtness v Roger Leighton
Stephen Gough v Barry Stark
Steve Meakin v Gary Wilkinson

11am

John Leahy v Jimmy O'Shea/John McBride
Ashley Beal v Surinder Gill
Gary Miller v Dave Harold
Andrew Milliard v Sean Lanigan/Guilio Rea
Paul Stockwell v Nigel Gilbert
Robert Marshall v Dean Raynolds
Tony Brown v Dessie Sheehan
Ali Bassiri v Karl Townsend

1pm

Hassan Vaizie v Anthony Harris/Bill Oliver
Wayne Jones v Mike Hallett/Steve Ventham
Nick Pearce v Tony Jones/Darren Thompson
Gabriel Burns v Bill Kelly/Stephan Mazrocis
Barry West v John Rea/Les Dodd
John Welsh v Gary Filtness/Roger Leighton
Patsy Fagan v Stephen Gough/Barry Stark
Philip Williams v Steve Meakin/Gary Wilkinson

3pm

Round 3 (16 players)

5pm

Round 4 (8 players)

7pm

Qualifying Round (4 players)

Postby SnookerFan

John From London Town wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:C'mon John! :hatoff:

Ta bud ;-)

I might have to come down to Portsmouth if you're playing. I'll be the one in the crowd going; "Oi John. Alright mate?" every time you go down on a shot. rofl

Re: Snooker Seniors Draw Announced

Postby SnookerFan

I booked tickets to the Saturday afternoon session. Apparently that is the much anticipated Steve Davis vs Dennis Taylor match. :hatoff:

Saturday evening sessions is sold out. But I might have to be hurrying back to London for a friend's birthday anyway. That means I probably won't be able to see the Stephen Hendry or Jimmy White games. :sad:

Re: Snooker Seniors Draw Announced

Postby gallantrabbit

Yes John went down unfortunately to John Leahy, but won his first game.

I'd probably have enjoyed going to the qualies more than the main event. Many names in there that were great amateurs and who turned pro in the (mistaken IMO) opening up of snooker in the early nineties. I played against some of these fellows (and usually lost...). Would have been interesting. It's now Less Dodd (always there) v Philip Williams (only fellow to make a ton - 100 - impressive for three frame snooker) and Wayne Jones v Dave Harold for the two places.
I'm sure all the chaps have had a good day anyway.

Postby Wildey

The 2 Men to Qualify and Book their places in the 16 man field for October 19-20 at the Mountbatten Centre in Portsmouth are Phillip Williams who played on the Main tour from 1993 to 2004 off and on and Dave Harold the Current World no 55

Postby SnookerFan

Dave Harold. The bloke from Stoke. :hatoff:

You know how you see people in the crowd with T-Shirts they've purchased from the merchandise booths? The ones that say stuff like; "Rocket", "Nugget" or "Wizard". They should do a Dave Harold one that just says "Bloke".

rofl

I'd buy that.

Postby gmg

And The Bloke from Stoke's presence certainly raises the prospects of the main event being won by a qualifier for a third consecutive year. Does he kick off against Thorburn or Drago in the opening match?

Postby SnookerFan

gmg wrote:And The Bloke from Stoke's presence certainly raises the prospects of the main event being won by a qualifier for a third consecutive year. Does he kick off against Thorburn or Drago in the opening match?

The Bloke is playing Tony Drago. I got a ticket to that one.

Sadly, by the time I got round to purchasing a ticket, the evening session had sold out. Which means I'll miss Stephen Hendry vs Joe Johnson and the Jimmy White match.

Maybe if I don't have to hurry off, I'll stay in the bar and watch it on the big screen they have there. With a pint or 12. And a hot dog or 12.

Postby Casey

It's a lottery, a few old blokes trying to cash in. Should be good banter but it can also be a bit painful to watch.

Postby Wildey

Saturday 19th of October

1pm

Dene O'Kane v Nigel Bond Bond leads the head to head 4-0

Followed by

Tony Knowles v Darren Morgan Morgan leads the head to head 2-1

Followed by

Tony Drago v Dave Harold Head to Head 2-2

Followed by

Steve Davis v Dennis Taylor Steve Davis Leads the Head to Head 28-7

7pm

Doug Mountjoy v Jimmy White Jimmy White leads the head to head 10-4

Followed by

Alain Robidoux v Tony Chappel Head to Head 1-1

Followed by

Cliff Thorburn v Phillip Williams Never played before

Followed by

Joe Johnson v Stephen Hendry [color=#D30D0D]Hendry leads the Head to Head 7-3

Sunday 20th of October

1pm

4 x Quarter Final Matches (Random Draw)

7pm

2 x Semi Final Matches (Random Draw)

Followed by

The Final

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerFan wrote:
gmg wrote:And The Bloke from Stoke's presence certainly raises the prospects of the main event being won by a qualifier for a third consecutive year. Does he kick off against Thorburn or Drago in the opening match?

The Bloke is playing Tony Drago. I got a ticket to that one.

Sadly, by the time I got round to purchasing a ticket, the evening session had sold out. Which means I'll miss Stephen Hendry vs Joe Johnson and the Jimmy White match.

Maybe if I don't have to hurry off, I'll stay in the bar and watch it on the big screen they have there. With a pint or 12. And a hot dog or 12.

Apparently there are more tickets available for the evening session, over the World Snooker website. Though after travelling down to Portsmouth in the morning, and spending all afternoon watching old people hit their balls, I dunno if I'll be up for another four hours of it in the evening. Might see how knackered I am, and buy a ticket at the venue if I'm up for it.

If not, I could retire to the snazzy looking hotel bar, or to the Green Posts pub up the road to see if it still has that pinball machine. :wave:

Postby SnookerFan

simplysnooker wrote:Might catch some of this just to see Hendry destroy everyone haha

Seemed odd that they stuck him as last match on, considering how they bent the rules to let him in. He probably won't be out to at least 10pm. You'd have thought they'd have put him in earlier, or during the afternoon.

Maybe they thought he'd be a draw, and wanted to keep him to the end to keep people watching. :spot on:

Postby The Monk

Shame John Williams isnt refereeing like in recent years bring a bit of nostalgia back..

Where did that oldish ref come from John Pellow he was announced as??

Dave

Postby PLtheRef

The Monk wrote:Shame John Williams isnt refereeing like in recent years bring a bit of nostalgia back..

Where did that oldish ref come from John Pellow he was announced as??

Dave

Wales

Postby Wildey

Sunday 20th of October

1pm

Cliff Thorburn v Nigel Bond HtoH Nigel Bond leads 2-0 (Both Deciders)

Followed by

Darren Morgan v Dave Harold HtoH Dave Harold leads 5-1

Followed by

Tony Chappel v Steve Davis HtoH Steve Davis leads 5-1

Followed by

Jimmy White v Stephen Hendry HtoH Stephen Hendry leads 35-19

7pm

2 x Semi Final Matches (Random Draw)

Followed by

The Final

Postby Wildey

opening quarter final is in a decider Bond won a very scrappy 2nd frame.

Postby Wildey

Nigel Bond proved far to strong for Cliff in the decider

Next up Repeat of the final of the 1993 Asian Open Between Dave Harold and Darren Morgan Harold won that Match 9-3.

Postby Dannyboy

Only Sky could make Darren Morgan look like a superstar in that montage!

He could still make a good go in the PTC events couldn't he? Win some decent cash.