Topic locked

Re: Betfred.Com World Championship 1st Round Discussion !!!!

Postby Wildey

its 2010 a new decade with changes happening in the way the sport is being run what will happen nobody knows but for now lets put the politics in to the back of our minds and look forward in about 3 days time for 17 days of snooker bliss at the new look Crucible Theatre.

there will be highs there will be lows and can there be a new name on that trophy at long last.

i now declare the Tournament on the Island OPEN

Re: World Championships 2010 R1: Ebdon vs Dott

Postby Casey

Whilst I agree with Hearn’s plan I can understand why some are opposed.

The WPBSA have 4 million cash in the bank and then there is all their assets.

Now if they went looking for a private investor and willing to give away 50% they would be looking for 4-5 million in return (at least)

Postby Witz78

case_master wc wrote:Whilst I agree with Hearn’s plan I can understand why some are opposed.

Now if they went looking for a private investor and willing to give away 50% they would be looking for 4-5 million in return (at least)

Whats good is 4 million in the bank and a sport dying on its ass.

Whats are they gonna do, wait till there are no tournaments left and snooker is totally dead then say " ah but nevermind about that, we now have 6 million pounds in the bank" !?!?! So here is the money split among you the 96 players and the WPSBA staff and would the last person please switch the lights off and close the door, SNOOKER IS DEAD. <doh>

By giving Hearn full control, this will be an investment in itself as he will increase income, revenue, resulting in more prize money for players which is better for them as they wont ever see any benefit from the coffers of the governing body, whether its WPSBA or Matchroom being healthy.

Prize Money is all the players can derive their earnings from so this should be the players key factor in deciding what way to vote !

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:
case_master wc wrote:Whilst I agree with Hearn’s plan I can understand why some are opposed.

Whats good is 4 million in the bank and a sport dying on its ass.

Whats are they gonna do, wait till there are no tournaments left and snooker is totally dead then say " ah but nevermind about that, we now have 6 million pounds in the bank" !?!?! So here is the money split among you the 96 players and the WPSBA staff and would the last person please switch the lights off and close the door, SNOOKER IS DEAD. <doh>

By giving Hearn full control, this will be an investment in itself as he will increase income, revenue, resulting in more prize money for players which is better for them as they wont ever see any benefit from the coffers of the governing body, whether its WPSBA or Matchroom being healthy.

Prize Money is all the players can derive their earnings from so this should be the players key factor in deciding what way to vote !

witz :bowdown: :bowdown:

i agree with what hearn is proposing

Postby Roland

Looking forward to it very much. It should be a break-building festival with some silly shots from Cope and some misses from Carter both of which make you go <doh>

It will be a close one. I'm going for Cope.

Postby Wildey

from where i stand that whatever they had in the bank was being used on private cars,acomadation,swimming pools etc for board members and not being put back in to the sport.

hearn has already made cut backs to save money. and some including dell hill as head of coaching didnt like because he loses a job.

Postby Casey

Witz as I said I agree and welcome Hearn's plan.

However you are thinking of this from a players and fans view, in strictly business terms snookers total assets would total at what...at least 8 million. So it stands to right from a purely business point of view that a 50% buy in would cost close to 50% of the assets that have been built up over the years.

Now there is of course the risk factor to build in from an investors view and this would make a slight bit of difference for the buy in value.

Anyway this is all academic because nobody wants to buy in for proper money or return and thats not why Barry has made his offer. I am just simply pointing out from a business standpoint you can see why some think its outrageous.

From a business point of view to spout rubbish like snooker is dead is irrelevant because you are potentially giving away 50% of your assets for £1

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote:Looking forward to it very much. It should be a break-building festival with some silly shots from Cope and some misses from Carter both of which make you go <doh>

It will be a close one. I'm going for Cope.

im looking forward very much too, both atacking, im suprised with you and gj saying cope to win when carter is very much in form and a prov number3

Postby Witz78

rocket_ron wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:now im no official mod but i am on the tournament section in whitch this is so i think this discusion should be carried on somewhere else it has nothing to do with Dott v Ebdon thank you <ok>

i was just thinking that myself

its such a sensitive issue Wild that your gonna be struggling to contain views on this to one thread.

As for the tournament itself theres no doubt that the power struggle is going to cast a large shadow over the tournament. Its already overshadowed the build up and id imagine it will be the hot topic of conversation among the media, pundits, fans and commentators throughout the 17 days.

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:now im no official mod but i am on the tournament section in whitch this is so i think this discusion should be carried on somewhere else it has nothing to do with Dott v Ebdon thank you <ok>

i was just thinking that myself

its such a sensitive issue Wild that your gonna be struggling to contain views on this to one thread.

As for the tournament itself theres no doubt that the power struggle is going to cast a large shadow over the tournament. Its already overshadowed the build up and id imagine it will be the hot topic of conversation among the media, pundits, fans and commentators throughout the 17 days.

yes but this thread is about dott v ebdon only

god if i were a mod

Postby GJ

Witz78

incorrect i can see why your so in to politics more interested in off table stuff

im excited as ever for the worlds :afro: :D :ahh:

Postby Roland

Yeah but with all due respect to him, he ain't the 3rd best player in the world. He'll have a tough time handling Cope. Of course he could always ditch him out comfortably like 10-4 or something but I very much doubt it. Fair play to him if he does, but I think Cope will do him.

Postby Witz78

GJtheaussiestud wrote:As for the tournament itself theres no doubt that the power struggle is going to cast a large shadow over the tournament. Its already overshadowed the build up and id imagine it will be the hot topic of conversation among the media, pundits, fans and commentators throughout the 17 days.

Witz78

incorrect i can see why your so in to politics more interested in off table stuff

id rather not be interested in the off the table stuff but until this vote goes the right way and Hearn takes the game the way it should be, im going to be distracted from the action on the table. Im still actually more annoyed about the off table stuff of the last few weeks at the moment than i am excited about going to Sheffield in a few days which is strange as by now all id be thinking about would be the excitment of watching the snooka....

Postby Roland

witz - me too. I can't remember ever feeling this flat/frustrated this close to the World Championships. Not only because I want Hearn to be backed for the good of snooker, but also because of the time we've put into this site this year and I know if Hearn isn't backed, Snooker Island will suffer as well.

Postby Wildey

you know what.

what Mark Williams said today has lifted my spirits from how they were yesterday and i am a little more possitive.

what we have to remember hearn wants to be involved in snooker again suerly that in itself is a possitive.

how the vote will go has nothing to do with Lee Doyle it was always in the hands of players.

just think how you would feel if Walker was still in charge and nothing at all on the table for change again thats a possitive.

less of this negative talk and more feeling possitive that 12 months on snooker has a chance for change there wasent there when Higgins won in 09.

Postby Smart

GJtheaussiestud wrote:
Witz78

Exactly right, I have the buzz big time. What will happen AFTER the championship is done and dusted. So to quote Oasis 'be here now' or an older song goes 'sha la la la live for today'.

Come on !!!!!!!!