Post a reply

Re: House of Thai players Passakorn and TT firebombed

Postby Roland

You have to laugh at the caption

Arson: The Sheffield home of two Thai snooker players under investigation for possible match-fixing has been firebombed in a premeditated attack

below a picture of Ronnie bloody O'Sullivan

Postby Roland

SB has followed it up http://www.snookerbacker.com/2013/09/22 ... yers-home/

So anyway, now you can see the case of the Thai players is totally different to the case of Stephen Lee. And of course Un-Nooh's match against Steve Davis last season had similar betting patterns but the case was dropped.

What can World Snooker do about this if indeed the arson is directly linked to TT and Passakorn? They were visited by the police who turned up at the Star Academy to interview them, then they are intimidated into staying quiet. There are dark forces at work in the Thai gambling community. You can only hope this forces them to abandon the tactic knowing the snooker authorities are highly suspicious of betting patterns and will act accordingly if a player is caught however unlikely that may sound.

I just feel sorry for the players. The likes of Wattana, Poomjaeng, TT and Un-Nooh liven up the tour so fingers crossed they can get on with their careers without becoming unwilling participants in the dark underworld of Asian gambling.

Postby GrumpyMrDavros

Smart wrote:totally different from the Lee case.>

If someone wanted to get back at Lee they'd have firebombed the local pie factory :D

A very brazen attempt at intimidation but not a very clever one . The British police will investigate and it's been brought to the notice of the British snooker authorities . I'm led to believe it's entirely different in Thailand where any gangster can buy themselves out of trouble

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:You have to laugh at the caption

Arson: The Sheffield home of two Thai snooker players under investigation for possible match-fixing has been firebombed in a premeditated attack

below a picture of Ronnie bloody O'Sullivan

Yeah, that's sloppy journalism. It's a story about snooker, let's put a picture of the only player that we've heard of underneath the headline. <doh>

Hopefully the two players involved aren't too shaken up. It's good news that they weren't home at the time. :phew:

Certainly highlights the differences between this case, and the Stephen Lee affair.

Postby Sickpotter

I wonder if they put up a pick of Ronnie because of his recent tweet regarding cheating and that's somehow being seen as a possible instigator of the attack :chin:

Why bomb them now is the question. Did Ronnie's tweet scare the gambling syndicate into thinking the players might out them? :shrug:

Should make for interesting reading over the next while to say the least... :hmmm:

Postby Roland

No the firebomb was on August 30th and unrelated to the Lee case. It came after the players had received a visit from the police about the match fixing claims.

Postby SnookerFan

Sickpotter wrote:I wasn't suggesting there is a link....just trying to find some rationale as to why they put his picture in there. ;-)

Probably because the Daily Mail had never heard of the players involved, so put up a snooker player they already had a picture of.

I don't think they put any more thought into it than that.