Help or Hindrance?

Ronnie is undoubtedly beneficial to snooker
64%
Hindrance, snooker needs to get rid of him
18%
Neutral
18%

Total votes : 28

Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan: Help or Hindrance to snooker?

Postby Alpha

Wildey wrote:am i in the minority here. :roll:

id like to see Ronnie play snooker.

His fans prefer never to see Ronnie play it seems :dizzy:

I think you might be in a minority Wild, Ronnie fans don't want to see their man in action. Bizarre.

Postby Andre147

Of course at least me as a Ronnie fan want to see him play and enter tournaments, but if he doesn't well... what can we do about it...? a few years ago I used to be so upset when he didn't enter one but now we're so used to it I just don't care to be honest, but if he does indeed play I'll obviously support him all the way.

And most of you are making generalizations on here that ALL Ronnie fans are disrespectful to the other players and only watch him play. Well, as most of you know me, not ALL of them are like that and for instance me and SO and TR here are just a few who respect the other players and Snooker in general, and I'll say it once again I watch snooker because I love the game, with or without Ronnie in it doesn't matter.

Of course if he is in it all the more better because we all have our favourite players, the ones we grew up watching and love their style of playing snooker. But yes I understand there are quite a few delusional Ronnie fans out there that just don't respect the other players, but I'll never be like that nor the other ones for instance I mentioned here.

As for the thread in itself, I think he is definately a help to snooker, off table yeah he can be quite a douche sometimes and hinder the game, but overall I think what he has done for the game kind of overcomes the bad things he has done mostly off the table.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:I was disappointed he didn't enter the Indian (and was quite vocal about it) but then once I saw it was best of 7s and the relatively poor prize money I didn't blame him for skipping. It's just a shame he doesn't feel a duty as World Champion to be an ambassador for the game because I can only think of Carter and Allen as realistic WC contenders who would do the same and skip a lot of events that don't suit them personally. But Ronnie expressed regret at not entering Shanghai and seems gupping to get playing again so I think he'll turn up to most of the remaining big events this season and try and get in the PTC finals.

Regarding the crowd, it's just the ones who have a blatant disregard for the other players and have to shout "GO ON RONNIE" whenever his opponent misses that get on my tits but the problem is there are usually several of them at any one time. At the Crucible this year there was an Irish hammer in the row in front of me who kept having to shout "DIFFERENT CLASS RONNIE" and things like that constantly, totally not giving a rubbish how those around him wanted to hammer him one. And of course you had the Ronnie fan who brought the fart machine in and kept using it when Judd was down on his shot. It's only his fans that do things like that. I'm not tarring all his fans with the same brush but let's just say there are a vocal few who really get my back up and over the years they grind you down so that you end up wanting Ronnie to lose even though he's a joy to watch.

Oh yeah, I remember that hammer. <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Andre

on here we have You, Snooker overdrive and a few others that have a balanced opinion of play and you was ever present during tournaments and really enjoyed them without Ronnie entering them.

then we have these idiots on forums that disrespect a tournament win from a player just because Ronnie was not playing, hardly anyone's fault but Ronnie's, that really pisses me off so i would prefer to see Ronnie playing in almost everything to shut those cretins up.

Postby Smart

There is a guy on the front row at the Crucible. He is a season ticket holder. You will know the face (parted hair). Basically he is so up ROS's ass its untrue. When ROS plays he sits - leaning forward, head on hands and clearly says - almost directly to ROS - "shot Ron" incessantly. He does this throughout. All the other season ticket holders joke about it but its almost as if he cannot control himself or stop himself. <doh>

I noticed this week in China they have a guy with a sign saying no phones, no smoking, no ....etc etc

Perhaps Rob Walker should go thru snooker etiquette in he pre-amble, i.e. respect both players by not calling out on every shot. Have to say it must be difficult to police for the ref tho as his main focus must be the table - not the crowd. <ok>

Postby Roland

Andre you and others are not the type of fan I'm on about. And Grumpy Davros I didn't realise we disagreed so much :redneck:

That poster Trumpster, he's the type, talking about Ronnie taking on World Snooker and winning and setting up a breakaway tour. Some people are so delusional.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Andre you and others are not the type of fan I'm on about. And Grumpy Davros I didn't realise we disagreed so much :redneck:

That poster Trumpster, he's the type, talking about Ronnie taking on World Snooker and winning and setting up a breakaway tour. Some people are so delusional.

now that really would be a hindrance :redneck:

Postby vodkadiet

Wildey wrote:
Ronnie O'Sullivan ‏@ronnieo147 12m

Any snooker players up for challenge match on tv if tv company wanna screen it? I'm bored and fancy a challenge

has it ever occurred to him there's plenty of challenges being put his way in the form of flying to Australia and India and he doesn't take up the challenge.

O'Sullivan's bored. Now there's a surprise. Why doesn't he just play Grand Theft Auto all day. That is right up his street, or better still he could learn to read. I suggest he starts with 'The adventures of Noddy and Big Ears'. <ok>

Postby vodkadiet

Jewell wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Ronnie O'Sullivan ‏@ronnieo147 12m

Any snooker players up for challenge match on tv if tv company wanna screen it? I'm bored and fancy a challenge

has it ever occurred to him there's plenty of challenges being put his way in the form of flying to Australia and India and he doesn't take up the challenge.

O'Sullivan's bored. Now there's a surprise. Why doesn't he just play Grand Theft Auto all day. That is right up his street, or better still he could learn to read. I suggest he starts with 'The adventures of Noddy and Big Ears'. <ok>

I'm playing Grand Theft Auto 5 right now. Superb Game. Lots of killing, shooting things and mowing people over...

I prefer doing that in real life. :-D

Postby snooker_loopy

His new comments could be serious:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-spo ... ts-2289212

Hmm, seems he's touched a raw nerve!If his comments make future sponsors think twice about investing in the sport then he could be trouble. A large fine perhaps for the classic offense of: "bringing the game into disrepute."

Weren't the snooker players told to behave when they use social media? I think they were. I can't remember if there were new rules about online conduct.

Postby vodkadiet

I'm playing Grand Theft Auto 5 right now. Superb Game. Lots of killing, shooting things and mowing people over...[/quote]

I prefer doing that in real life. :-D[/quote]

I do too, but I prefer to kill defenceless animals instead so that I can then have them for my supper. <ok>[/quote]

I prefer killing humans. They are generally selfish and stupid, and they deserve to suffer more than animals. :wave:

Postby vodkadiet

snooker_loopy wrote:His new comments could be serious:

Hmm, seems he's touched a raw nerve!If his comments make future sponsors think twice about investing in the sport then he could be trouble. A large fine perhaps for the classic offense of: "bringing the game into disrepute."

Weren't the snooker players told to behave when they use social media? I think they were. I can't remember if there were new rules about online conduct.

O'Sullivan wouldn't care what damage he has done to the sport. He has made his money. Aside from getting people watching because of his style of play(which is just incidental), he has almost gone out of his way to damage the game. He just wants to make as much money as he can and then disappear, not caring what state the game is in when he leaves.

Postby snooky147

vodkadiet wrote:

O'Sullivan wouldn't care what damage he has done to the sport. He has made his money. Aside from getting people watching because of his style of play(which is just incidental), he has almost gone out of his way to damage the game. He just wants to make as much money as he can and then disappear, not caring what state the game is in when he leaves.

Not often I agree with you mate but I think your spot on there.

Postby Alpha

snooky147 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

Not often I agree with you mate but I think your spot on there.

If Jason Ferguson's point is true, then it proves the point I was making earlier about the gambling industry being put off by all these betting scams in snooker. And worst of all, in a Shanghai Masters which saw a potential new star in Kyren Wilson, Michael Holt come close to fulfilling his true potential and the first ever all Chinese ranking final, all anyone will ever remember about it, is greedy, cheating Stephen Lee and bigmouth Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Postby Casey

Is Ronnie a help? Yes he is, no doubt and when snooker was on its knees he was badly needed.
Today however there is much less reliance on him and the game will grow just fine without him.

When his career is done and dusted and we look back, I think the positives will far outweigh the negatives. I would say however, that he could have had a greater impact (in the positive) if he really wanted to.

Postby Roland

I've just been visiting relatives who are staying up here for a couple of days. Two of my uncles obviously know I'm into snooker (they've known me all my life so they know I've been obsessed from an early age) and all they wanted to talk about was what Ronnie said and saying the game is corrupt because of gambling sponsorship and that players are throwing matches all over the place. So there is first hand experience of people with a passing interest at best and how they view the game thanks to Ronnie's outburst on Twitter.

It's stupid because you could say the same about every sport, particularly head to head sports like tennis, darts, badminton, boxing or whatever else. Except you don't hear about it, only snooker. If it's going on in snooker then it's going on everywhere else because every other sport is contested by humans.

Postby vodkadiet

Sonny wrote:I've just been visiting relatives who are staying up here for a couple of days. Two of my uncles obviously know I'm into snooker (they've known me all my life so they know I've been obsessed from an early age) and all they wanted to talk about was what Ronnie said and saying the game is corrupt because of gambling sponsorship and that players are throwing matches all over the place. So there is first hand experience of people with a passing interest at best and how they view the game thanks to Ronnie's outburst on Twitter.

It's stupid because you could say the same about every sport, particularly head to head sports like tennis, darts, badminton, boxing or whatever else. Except you don't hear about it, only snooker. If it's going on in snooker then it's going on everywhere else because every other sport is contested by humans.

You are right there. O'Sullivan by typing a few ill thought out thoughts on his keyboard has sent the sport back a decade. As I say, he just wants to ruin the sport and then disappear from it with fortunes in his bank account.

I still say he should have been banned for throwing that match against Tian Pengfei. I don't care if he got money out of it or not, he still threw the match. After what he did in that match he has no right to talk about others throwing matches.
Last edited by vodkadiet on 22 Sep 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Postby vodkadiet

Jewell wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Sonny wrote:I've just been visiting relatives who are staying up here for a couple of days. Two of my uncles obviously know I'm into snooker (they've known me all my life so they know I've been obsessed from an early age) and all they wanted to talk about was what Ronnie said and saying the game is corrupt because of gambling sponsorship and that players are throwing matches all over the place. So there is first hand experience of people with a passing interest at best and how they view the game thanks to Ronnie's outburst on Twitter.

You are right there. O'Sullivan by typing a few ill thought out thoughts on his keyboard he sent the sport back a decade. As I say, he just wants to ruin the sport and then disappear from it with fortunes in his bank account.

I still say he should have been banned for throwing that match against Tian Pengfei. I don't care if he got money out of it or not, he still threw the match. After what he did in that match he has no right to talk about others throwing matches.

Even if he had accepted money for losing to Tian Pengfei he wouldn't have been banned. Snooker, at that point in time, wasn't in a position to be able to make do without Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Ronnie O'Sullivan was the owner of snooker in all but name.

I agree with you there. No one in charge of the game has ever been prepared to cut this cancer out of the game. It just shows what a minority sport snooker is that he has got away with numerous behaviours that would have had him banned from more popular sports a long time ago.

Postby Wildey

In your dreams jewell when the time is right and Ronnie oversteps his mark good and proper he will be banned. make no mistake about that one at the moment the misdemeanors have been kids stuff but Barry Hearn would not think twice of throwing him out of the game. the problem is with Ronnie would that be a punishment or just a way of quitting the sport without having to make the decision for himself

Postby PLtheRef

Jewell wrote:
Wildey wrote:In your dreams jewell when the time is right and Ronnie oversteps his mark good and proper he will be banned. make no mistake about that one at the moment the misdemeanors have been kids stuff but Barry Hearn would not think twice of throwing him out of the game. the problem is with Ronnie would that be a punishment or just a way of quitting the sport without having to make the decision for himself

Whoever bans Ronnie will forever be known as the man that helped kill snooker.

Rubbish!

I'm fairly neutral on this because the scale of options isn't big enough. Naturally, Ronnie is one of the best players in the game and when he's playing at his absolute best and giving it his all he's still and will always be one of the most entertaining players in the game.

However, these spurts of needing to have his say on almost everything - even when it doesn't concern him is where he is a hinderance to the sport. Ronnie knows his responsibilities to the sport, he knows how that much damage can be done in how he operates away from the table.

The 2012/13 season showed quite clearly that snooker can manage without Ronnie. Whether Ronnie can manage without snooker given he's indicated retirement several times and recanted is a different matter entirely

Snooker obviously would like Ronnie to continue playing - but I don't think it will miss him badly if he was to finish now.

Postby GrumpyMrDavros

Jewell wrote:
Whoever bans Ronnie will forever be known as the man that helped kill snooker.

rofl

Yeah sure he will . We had this same scenario twenty odd years ago when Higgins was banned . Higgins had a hundred times the fans O Sullivan had and a million times more charisma . I was sad to see him go but snooker continued and in the late 1990s started finding a niche in foreign markets .

The truth is - and this will sicken Rocket fans - is that no one is bigger than snooker so get over yourselves if you think O'Sullivan will be greatly missed to the point no one watches it without the presence of O'Sullivan

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:
Sickpotter wrote:For those who don't grasp.the damage ROS can do/does with his ill thought out statements have a read :sad:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/24186728

I wonder if sponsors really are worried or if Fergie is just trying to use scare tactics. :chin:

why would he want to use scare tactics if there's no problem?

just let players tourist everything off and create media interests. <doh>

Sponsors do not under any circumstance want their product to be mentioned in the same breath as corruption.

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Jewell wrote:
Sickpotter wrote:For those who don't grasp.the damage ROS can do/does with his ill thought out statements have a read :sad:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/24186728

I wonder if sponsors really are worried or if Fergie is just trying to use scare tactics. :chin:

why would he want to use scare tactics if there's no problem?

just let players tourist everything off and create media interests. <doh>

Sponsors do not under any circumstance want their product to be mentioned in the same breath as corruption.

Most of the sponsors happen to be bookmakers, probably why the regime have been getting so uppity about Ronnie's comments.

Fergie and Hearn clearly are worried about the well of bookie cash drying up, at least that's how these comments from Fergie come across to me.

Instead of doing their jobs they are trying the silence the one man the general public give a monkeys about.

there's not 1 sponsor in china that's a betting firm and they are the ones forking out most money snookers way at the moment with £495,000 winners cheques alone and they are just as worried.

Mud Sticks and that's why a life ban is the only course of action in this scenario for Stephen Lee.

Ronnie put it out as if it was a well known thing players parakeet or fix matches and unless hes willing to back that up with names he had no right to drag other players through the mud as Mike Dunn said "I feel offended at some of the crap coming out his mouth !" because the finger is pointed at every player because he hasn't named names. and to the general public and the rubbish press out there every player is under suspicion and sponsors don't want to be associated with that.