Topic locked

ROBERTSON BIDDING TO GO ONE BETTER

Postby GJ

Neil Robertson heads to the World Championship confident of going one better than his impressive run to the semi-finals last year.

The Australian left-hander was edged out 17-14 in an epic clash with Shaun Murphy in Sheffield and since then he's further underlined just why he could challenge for the Crucible crown this time around.

Back in October Robertson became the most successful player from outside Great Britain in ranking events when clinching his fourth career title with a 9-4 victory over Ding Junhui 9-4 in the final of the Grand Prix in Glasgow.

Chinese star Ding matched his achievement when capturing the UK Championship and the duo will be viewed as two of the most dangerous overseas contenders gunning for glory.

Robertson, provisionally world ranked number four, admits he loved the special atmosphere of the 'one table' situation at the Crucible and is eager to reach at least the semis to taste that same experience once again.

"I think I can go one step further than last year," said the 27-year-old. "I won the Grand Prix earlier in the season so I definitely know I can win tournaments and beat the best players and currently sit provisionally four in the world rankings at the moment.

"The best result I've had before finishing the season is at seven so it looks like I'll at least equal or better that which has been my focus. The number one spot is miles away, John Higgins wrapped that up in China, so the aim is to finish as high as I can and reaching the semi-finals at the one table situation would be great.

"The atmosphere is awesome when you get to that stage. Last year it was an amazing feeling walking out and seeing the one table there and experiencing how the whole place changes.

"The tournament is played on two tables in a tight area where they have to make the most out of the space available then all of a sudden you're playing on one table with all this room and all the eyes are on you. It's what all snooker players dream of."

The 'Thunder from Down Under' accepts there will be more attention on him in Sheffield due to his performances last year but doesn't think this will affect his chances.

He said: "I think the players who do have a really good World Championship the year before have some added pressure because you're remembered for doing so well but I don't tend to think about things like that too much.

"Once I get out there playing there's not a lot else you can do other than concentrate on your game and let the snooker gods do the rest!"

There have been seven different winners of the ranking events this season and Robertson, who plays Fergal O'Brien in the first round, believes the World Championship will be as open as it has ever been.

He said: "I think years ago when Stephen Hendry was dominating, he used to say he could almost walk into the semi-finals but it's just not possible nowadays - there's just so many good players and anyone can beat anyone on their day.

"The World Championship does obviously suit the better player but there always are upsets and surprises and the top eight seeds don't always reach the quarter-finals as much as they may have done. So you can't really look too far ahead in the draws."

Robertson hit a 147 break in the second round of the recent China Open although he was thumped 5-1 by Peter Ebdon in the same match.

Nevertheless the Aussie is happy with his overall preparations and isn't planning to overwork himself before or during the World Championship.

"I took a couple of days off after coming back from China to get over the jet lag and then into practice again," he added. "Making a 147 over there was great and shows I'm obviously playing well, even despite losing to Peter Ebdon, who was fantastic in that match. So I am still very confident.

"I didn't really have too many opportunities against Peter after I made the 147 because he played so well but I could definitely sense while I was in my chair it was very hard to focus on the match, it's hard to stop thinking about a break like that. In hindsight I was lucky to have even got the 147 just to get a frame on the board!

"At the start of the season you're trying to work on your game and improve because it all builds up to the World Championship.

"I like to take it a little bit easy in the build up to Sheffield - not necessarily in terms of days off practice but not going overboard because the matches can go on for so long and you need to hold your concentration for around two and a half weeks.

"Reaching the semi-finals last year, I noticed you don't really get any spare time, and any time you do get away from playing sessions you really need to be relaxing.

"You set up practice matches with players - I tend to play Joe Perry as we're at the same club - but other than that, if you're happy with your game then I just do an hour or two practice when on my own.

"And before a match you might just want to hit a few balls around for about 20 minutes. There's no point overdoing it and working on problems that aren't there."

By Chris Hammer

Sporting Life

http://www.sportinglife.com/snooker/new ... 15456.html
Last edited by GJ on 14 Apr 2010, edited 2 times in total.

Re: ROBERTSON BIDDING TO GO ONE BETTER

Postby Casey

Bourne wrote:I'll second that :dance: Not gona be easy though.

He has another tuff 2nd round round, if he gets past it he should make the SF's. Can't see him winning it this year but he needs a few wins there to set himself up for another year.

Postby Bourne

That's pretty much how I see it. Murphy will probably raise his game here like he tends to and beat Greene, and Ding should have few problems with Pettman. From this point, Ding has a tough run - Murphy, Carter, Higgins, O'Sullivan (on paper) to win the biggest title of all when his record has previously been very poor here, my thoughts about Selby are similar actually, definitely got the talent to win it but has been dealt another tough hand this time and may have to wait another year.

Postby Casey

I don’t subscribe to the notion that its one of the most open draws ever, if you look back to 06 and 07 now they were open.

Really I expect the winner of Higgins/Robbo to get to the final. Ding has never been on the one table situation at the crucible before and it can take the newbies a session or 2 to settle – look at Robbo and Allen last year.

In the other half of the draw, well Selby should reach the QF’s were he would face either Ronnie or Williams. Williams has did really well in winning a ranking event and I was delighted for him, however there is a big step up to WC winning form. So really Selby or Ronnie should make the final from the other half

Imo potential winners (in order)

Higgins
Selby
Ronnie
Robbo

Outside chance –

Ding
Murphy (of course they will meet in the second round)

Postby Bourne

I don't know about Selby easing into the quarters I think he's got a very tough couple of opening matches, the sort that he's come off on the wrong end of in the last couple of seasons, tends to start too slowly. I really think anyone in that quarter apart from Campbell can make the semis, Ronnie is obviously favourite but his form isn't where he wants it to be and we know what Liang can do if he brings his best. I agree with your faves/potential winners though, I think Robbo has a better shot than Ding, but it's so rare that we get the expected guys in the latter stages of the Worlds everytime.

Postby Casey

Bourne wrote:I don't know about Selby easing into the quarters I think he's got a very tough couple of opening matches, the sort that he's come off on the wrong end of in the last couple of seasons, tends to start too slowly. I really think anyone in that quarter apart from Campbell can make the semis, Ronnie is obviously favourite but his form isn't where he wants it to be and we know what Liang can do if he brings his best. I agree with your faves/potential winners though, I think Robbo has a better shot than Ding, but it's so rare that we get the expected guys in the latter stages of the Worlds everytime.

Yea there is usually always one that makes the semis as a surprise - Allen last year (good chance of repeating that again)

Also no offence to Ronnie fans but if O'Sullivan does lose in round 1 it will completely open up that quarter of the draw...well that whole half, but whilst he is still in you always expect him to win.

Postby Bourne

I do think Carter can do some damage ... Final/Semis in his last two rankers, finalist only 2 years ago, semis at the UK long-format, accustomed to one-table set-up ... I guess he's a bit unlucky that he's got one of the toughest qualifiers in R1 but if he gets through that ...

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:I do think Carter can do some damage ... Final/Semis in his last two rankers, finalist only 2 years ago, semis at the UK long-format, accustomed to one-table set-up ... I guess he's a bit unlucky that he's got one of the toughest qualifiers in R1 but if he gets through that ...

thats the tie of the round for me carter v cope

Postby Bourne

GJtheaussiestud wrote:
Bourne wrote:I do think Carter can do some damage ... Final/Semis in his last two rankers, finalist only 2 years ago, semis at the UK long-format, accustomed to one-table set-up ... I guess he's a bit unlucky that he's got one of the toughest qualifiers in R1 but if he gets through that ...

Yeh it's gona be real tough to call if both play their best, when are the sessions ?

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:

Yeh it's gona be real tough to call if both play their best, when are the sessions ?

sunday afternoon and monday afternoon

Postby Bourne

case_master wc wrote:What is his second round and QF route again?

Carter's ? Perry/Ding or Murphy

Cheers GJ

Postby Casey

Bourne wrote:

Cheers GJ

QF exit for Mr Carter, whoever wins between Ding and Murphy will be full of confidence.

Mr Murphy will need it as he has been shocking ever since the Shanghai Masters.

Postby Bourne

case_master wc wrote:
Bourne wrote:

Cheers GJ

QF exit for Mr Carter, whoever wins between Ding and Murphy will be full of confidence.

Mr Murphy will need it as he has been shocking ever since the Shanghai Masters.

Murphy was terrible against Higginson last year in R1 even though he had the UK in the bag ... that loss to Pinches at the GP was lamentable, yet when I went to watch him live at the Prem final, he was on fire ! Who would be favo between Ding and Murphy in R2 :chin:

Postby Casey

I don’t think their 1st round matches will provide any insight. I would make Ding slight favorite but I wouldn't put a penny on it. The only thing is that Murphy has a lot of self belief but Ding has been the form man all season.

Ding 13-11 :huh2:

Postby GJ

i would make ding a pretty big fav to beat murphy around 1/2

Postby Bourne

1/2 would be a lay ;) I think Ding would be favo but something like 1.85, not one that i'd enjoy backing tbh.

Postby Smart

Simply based on the difference in results they each have achieved means Ding would be favourite (vs Murphy)...... but not a massive favourite because Murphy has played well at the Crucible before, won there, and will be pysched up........ would not back either. <ok>

Postby Wildey

case_master wc wrote:I don’t subscribe to the notion that its one of the most open draws ever, if you look back to 06 and 07 now they were open.

ill tell you what its the first World Championship for over 10 years i dont think Ronnie will come close to winning.

obviously he is super talented but i place him far less certain than i have for donkeys.

Postby GJ

wildJONESEYE wrote:
case_master wc wrote:I don’t subscribe to the notion that its one of the most open draws ever, if you look back to 06 and 07 now they were open.

ill tell you what its the first World Championship for over 10 years i dont think Ronnie will come close to winning.

obviously he is super talented but i place him far less certain than i have for donkeys.

he didnt come close last year as 2 experts predicted he would bite the dust to allen :D :ahh:

the defending WC Case and this years WC predictor <cool>

Postby Wildey

yes but point is going in to the tourno as apose to losing during the torno.

if you look through the record books i think its been Ronnies Worst season ever.

Postby Bourne

You predict him to lose every match, Case is an Allen fan <laugh>

The difference between 08 and now is then, Ronnie had a dream draw ... this time, he's going to be vulnerable from the off and won't get a moment's peace in any of the potential 5 matches. I just don't think his form is good enough at the moment to cope with that.

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:You predict him to lose every match, Case is an Allen fan <laugh>

The difference between 08 and now is then, Ronnie had a dream draw ... this time, he's going to be vulnerable from the off and won't get a moment's peace in any of the potential 5 matches. I just don't think his form is good enough at the moment to cope with that.

if he manages to beat wenbo i will pick him to beat williams and its a myth i never pick ronnie to win

round 1 last year at the worlds :chin: