4%
John Pullman
No votes
Other (please state)
No votes

Total votes : 51

Snookers Biggest Legend (select 3)

Postby Wildey

In your opinion who is the Biggest Legendary figure of all time?

To be a legend you don't really have to be the best at something or the most successful doing it but his star is maybe Greater than the Sport itself.

Re: Snookers Biggest Legend (select 3)

Postby Wildey

For me its Joe Davis, Alex Higgins and Steve Davis.

Joe Davis because he was the first guy to see the potential in snooker and developed the game to roughly the game we see today.

Alex Higgins because lets be honest without him TV Wouldn't have taken a interest in the game to the extent it did and made it cool for younger players like Jimmy White to Turn pro and made millionaires of players to come.

Steve Davis because he was Snookers first Pro of the TV Age that to this day goes about his Work Professionally on the Table and carries himself with dignity off it.

Postby Casey

I think in today’s age with visual exposure Joe Davis falls out of the top 3.

Legends for exposure and headline making - Alex Higgins, Jimmy and Ronnie.

For professionalism and on table contribution for me it's - Reardon, Davis & Hendry. I was close to saying John Higgins and maybe in 10 years Reardon will slip further into the ether and be replaced by Higgins.

Postby Wildey

yea but you dont have to have seen them playing or even liked the person concerned when thinking of a legend.

For me myths and stories about these players from a bygone age is legendary.

Postby SnookerFan

I've put Ronnie O'Sullivan, Stephen Hendry and Steve Davis.

I wanted to put Jimmy White pretty badly, because even now when I tell people I watch snooker, people who don't watch it much still ask me about Jimmy White. Jimmy's popularity trumps pretty much everybody on that list (except for maybe Ronnie). So if by legend you mean in terms of popularity alone, Jimmy would and should be on everybody's list.

However in terms of success and fame it's hard to look past the three I put up. Eighteen world titles between them. And one of them still has a realistic chance of adding more to that tally.

Postby SnookerFan

Jewell wrote:Hendry is not a legend. Yes, he's the most successful at this point in time.

However, once all his records get taken by someone else, which they eventually will, he'll be forgotten about.

:roll:

You talk a lot about him for somebody who hasn't got legendary status.

Postby Wildey

of course Hendry is a legend christ sakes some talk a lot of nonsense on here its untrue.

Postby Wildey

Muppet147 wrote:Did you post this thread just so you could tell everyone that Hendry is a legend?

Obviously, he is not.

no i posted this thread and i did not name hendry in the top 3 legend if Hendry isnt a legend then Ronnie isnt either and definitly not in the top 3 by a long chalk but that doesn't stop people saying he is.

all thoes players i put up are legends its up to you to rate the top 3 can you lot do that without talking rubbish ? answer no to much to ask.

Postby Muppet147

Wildey wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:Did you post this thread just so you could tell everyone that Hendry is a legend?

Obviously, he is not.

no i posted this thread and i did not name hendry in the top 3 legend if Hendry isnt a legend then Ronnie isnt either and definitly not in the top 3 by a long chalk but that doesn't stop people saying he is.

all thoes players i put up are legends its up to you to rate the top 3 can you lot do that without talking rubbish ? answer no to much to ask.

I agree that they are all legends - with the exception of Hendry.

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Obviously, he is not.

all thoes players i put up are legends its up to you to rate the top 3 can you lot do that without talking donkey doo ? answer no to much to ask.

Being a legend is not just about achievement. It is also about the person.

Unfortunately, Hendry was abit lacking in the personality department, therefore he cannot be called a legend.

on that criteria Steve Davis isnt a legend either.

you dont half talk bullocks mate

Postby Sickpotter

Muppet and Jewell, well done :clap:

Folks,.we have our nominations for the most clueless snooker fans ever........Probably have to split the prize <ok>

Honestly anyone who'd suggest Hendry isn't a legend shouldn't be allowed to post on a snooker forum....probably shouldn't be allowed to walk and chew gum at the same time either :john:

Postby SnookerFan

Casey wrote:I think in today’s age with visual exposure Joe Davis falls out of the top 3.

Legends for exposure and headline making - Alex Higgins, Jimmy and Ronnie.

For professionalism and on table contribution for me it's - Reardon, Davis & Hendry. I was close to saying John Higgins and maybe in 10 years Reardon will slip further into the ether and be replaced by Higgins.

If you are basing legendary status purely based on achievement on the table, then it's hard to argue against John Higgins being deserving. I put Ronnie above Higgins, just based on Ronnie has won more World Titles though.

Postby roy142857

For me a legend has to be someone that people still talk about years after their peak, so a lot (Edit - think I should have said some!) of the options on here are non-starters for me as they haven't passed the time test.

So, I've gone for Steve Davis ... only just qualifies time-wise from my perspective, but he's the player non-fans mention to me the moment I say I like snooker.

Joe Davis - well, would there really still be snooker without him, pushed the boundaries and the only player to absolutely dominate a generation, eventually when he competed every other player had a handicap advantage against him.

Really got stuck on 3rd player, Walter Donaldson was tempting, as was John Pullman but for me they're behind two others, I've gone for Ray Reardon both from the public familiarity and in the way his play linked eras, but very close between him and Alex Higgins (Higgins takes the public bit, Reardon though is a better link between eras, the number of World Championships Reardon won swung it for me).

Postby Wildey

you could argue playing Devil's advocate Steve Davis was lucky to be at the right place at the right time lets not forget when Steve was ruling the roost so to speak Snooker was right up there with Football regarding Column spaces in newspapers and the name Steve Davis was mentioned more than any other sportsman in the 80s because he just kept winning.

The likes of Ray Reardon, Joe Davis and Alex Higgins layed the foundation that Steve Davis got Lucky to benefit from and the same could be said of Hendry and Ronnie.

Postby Alpha

I chose Joe Davis as the father of snooker, Steve Davis who laid the foundations of what it takes to become a true pro, and Stephen Hendry who took that blueprint and broke all Steve Davis' records to become simply the greatest.

Postby Witz78

Jimmy, Steve and Alex I went for

Davis really was a massive star in British sport throughout the 80s when the sport was at its peak, just look at how often he was in the top 3 in the BBC Sports Personality awards as well as winning it (in 88 I think). Also his longevity and dedication to the sport, plus his sheer professionalism compared to his peers of the same era makes him a standout.

Jimmy was the Peoples Champion and the story of him the loveable rogue v the "bad guy" Hendry helped keep a lot of people interested in snooker into the 90s after the peak, whereas the sport might have died out completely if Hendry was facing a similar non personality in the final every year.

Alex doesn't really need any explanation, should be pretty much the first pick on everyones 3 legends picked from this list.

Postby Wildey

Hendry always had More personality about him in the 90s than Steve Davis ever had in the 80s.

Hendry was more attacking even more Flamboyant than Davis so i guess we were Lucky Steve finished reaching World Finals in 1989 then.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Hendry always had More personality about him in the 90s than Steve Davis ever had in the 80s.

Hendry was more attacking even more Flamboyant than Davis so i guess we were Lucky Steve finished reaching World Finals in 1989 then.

And yet, people turn out to see them both when they play each other in Snooker Legends events. :hatoff: