Post a reply

How is Luca Brecel doing?

Postby PatRoberts

Hi everybody,

I wonder how Luca Brecel is doing lately. I'm from Belgium and love snooker but we don't get many coverage here and almost nothing in the media. I watch online sometimes to games but don't see him play very often. I know he's been discribed as a great talent, but do you see him reaching the top any time soon or will it take a lot more time?

Grtz :-)

Re: How is Luca Brecel doing?

Postby Roland

Luca is a future star of the game and he'll come good soon. He seems at the moment to allow himself to get a bit wound up during his matches but the talent is undoubtedly there. If he can control that then he can be winning tournaments very soon. He is ridiculously talented.

Postby PatRoberts

Sonny wrote:Luca is a future star of the game and he'll come good soon. He seems at the moment to allow himself to get a bit wound up during his matches but the talent is undoubtedly there. If he can control that then he can be winning tournaments very soon. He is ridiculously talented.

Yeah i noticed his talent when he played in the World Championship. Unfortunately that's the only time we were able to see him play live here. Well it's good to hear we'll be seeing him play a lot more in the future as he gains more experience in tournaments. :-)

Postby roy142857

PatRoberts wrote:Hi everybody,

I wonder how Luca Brecel is doing lately. I'm from Belgium and love snooker but we don't get many coverage here and almost nothing in the media. I watch online sometimes to games but don't see him play very often. I know he's been discribed as a great talent, but do you see him reaching the top any time soon or will it take a lot more time?

Grtz :-)

Are you anywhere near where any of the Belgian national tour matches are played? I think the first of the new season is at the Riley Inn in Genk on 14th/15th September. I know Luca plays in some of them if his schedule allows, doesn't always win - Tomasz Skalski beat him in the final national event last season.

Do you get to see or hear anything of your 'home' players ? I know Jurian Heusdens was developing pretty well for a while, must be 22 now and not heard much recently, and I saw Jeff Jacobs (age 17?) did respectably well at the European Under 21 but quite a way behind Brecel in his development. Would be good to see those two have a crack at Q School to see if they could get on tour ...

Postby snooker_loopy

He did make it to the tv stages of the 2011 WC but hasn't done anything of note since. He seems to have underachieved thus far. He might be one of those players blessed with tremendous natural ability but cursed with an inability to produce 'practice standard' snooker at pro level. My gut feeling is Luca Brecel is not capable of doing that. His current world ranking of 72 would seem to prove it. Still, he's young so got enough time to improve. :-) I know he'd thrash me in a game!

Postby Alex0paul

snooker_loopy wrote:He did make it to the tv stages of the 2011 WC but hasn't done anything of note since. He seems to have underachieved thus far. He might be one of those players blessed with tremendous natural ability but cursed with an inability to produce 'practice standard' snooker at pro level. My gut feeling is Luca Brecel is not capable of doing that. His current world ranking of 72 would seem to prove it. Still, he's young so got enough time to improve. :-) I know he'd thrash me in a game!

Quarters of the UK last season was something of note i'd say. Plus he qualified in 2012 not 2011 <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:Quarters of the UK last season was something of note i'd say. Plus he qualified in 2012 not 2011 <ok>

I was going to say.... <laugh>

I watched him at The Crucible the year he made it. It didn't seem like two years ago.

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul wrote:
snooker_loopy wrote:He did make it to the tv stages of the 2011 WC but hasn't done anything of note since. He seems to have underachieved thus far. He might be one of those players blessed with tremendous natural ability but cursed with an inability to produce 'practice standard' snooker at pro level. My gut feeling is Luca Brecel is not capable of doing that. His current world ranking of 72 would seem to prove it. Still, he's young so got enough time to improve. :-) I know he'd thrash me in a game!

Quarters of the UK last season was something of note i'd say. Plus he qualified in 2012 not 2011 <ok>

its few and far between to be honest hopefully with a flat structure he can string things together.