Topic locked

World Championship: All bets are off for Stephen Maguire

Postby GJ

STEPHEN MAGUIRE has called on Britain's bookies to ban bets on him so he doesn't get dragged into another match-fixing scandal.

The 29-year-old world No. 2 remains at the centre of a police investigation, along with fellow Scot Jamie Burnett, over alleged irregular betting patterns during their UK Championship encounter in December 2008 which Maguire won 9-3. The Glaswegian is among the favourites to lift the World Championship which starts at the Crucible on Saturday.

And in a twist of fate his first round opponent is Stephen Lee who was arrested and released after a two-year investigation into match fixing.

Maguire said: "I'm waiting to hear what's happening which is obviously not ideal because it's been hanging over my head for about 16 months now.

"It's an on-going situation which hasn't disappeared as quickly as I would have liked.

"As far as I'm concerned, the bookies shouldn't take bets on my matches for the rest of my career then I'll know nothing like this will happen again.

"I don't know if they can do that but what I do know is that I wouldn't be dragged into a carry on like this again.

"What annoys me is that the bookies will scream and shout about match fixing but still put my name on the market."

Maguire is gunning for glory at the Crucible after reaching the semi-finals and the quarters twice in the past three years.

He said: "It's the biggest snooker tournament on the planet and I'll be giving it my best shot - it's the one every player wants to win.

"I have the ability to win the World Championship. When I'm on top form I'm probably as good as anyone but on an off-day I struggle to it dig out.

"I want to put that right as one bad session can see you getting mauled at the Crucible.

"I got knocked out by Mark Allen in the second round of the China Open a few weeks ago but on the plus side it meant I could get on the next available flight home in the morning and get back to the practice table."

Maguire admits his clash with Lee will make for a difficult start to the tournament because the Englishman's style is so frustrating. He said: "I'm really looking forward to the Crucible but not to playing him.

"He's slow and negative and I'll need to keep calm when I play him because these kind of games can wind me up.

"I just need to try to get into my own stride and if I do then I should be OK. After that I can start looking at who I'll get the next round.

"The worry for me is that if it comes down to a hard tussle and difficult match play, then it'll be tough."

By John Docherty

Daily Record

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/snoo ... -22182384/
Last edited by GJ on 14 Apr 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Re: World Championship: All bets are off for Stephen Maguire

Postby Bourne

Thanks for the advice Stephen but I was never going to back you anyway, even though you've won me money in the past :dance:

He's landed a plum draw again though, at his best he's good enough to make that quarter look pretty easy but his best has been too infrequent this season, apart from one or two occasions around the turn of the year.

Postby SnookerFan

Apart from the odd parakeet vs parakeet joke, this one has pretty much gone under the wire. I think if Stephen Maguire doesn't play well, he could well lose this one. Another first rounder featuring two big-names, no pun intended, which has slipped a bit past public conciousness due to the match-fixing scandals both have been involved in.

Postby N_Castle07

Don't understand Mags on this one. On one hand he is saying he wants this to all go away and to be forgotten about so he can move on with his career. But on the other hand he is bringing this matter up time and time again in press interviews. Why? This must of been the forth Interview he has giving the press on this matter. Why not just let it lie. I can understand his frustration over this but still I think it would be better if he didn't bring it up all the time.

Postby Bourne

To his credit, I think he was probably asked the question in the interview and he had to give a response, i'm pretty sure that last thing he wants to be talking about in the build-up to the biggest event on the calendar is match-fixing BS. I feel sorry for him though, I think he's innocent and this is all getting in the way.

Postby Monique

Maybe he doesn't bring it? Maybe the journalist asked about it? I wouldn't be surprised, scandal is what sells.
The way an article is written doesn't necessarily reflect the way the interview is conducted.
Last edited by Monique on 14 Apr 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Smart

case_master wc wrote:Lee on his day is top class, Maguire could have shot himself in the foot with these comments.

thats my thoughts exactly - Mags was fired up when Trump was getting the headlines in south west area....... he then beat Trump in last years WC qualifying and said as much. <ok>