Topic locked

A Ronnieism

Postby N_Castle07

comment by Knowlesy 2009 (U3859922)
posted 20 Minutes Ago
A typical Ronnieism. This was posted on 606

From today's Daily Record:

>>>>>RONNIE O'SULLIVAN insists he has no chance of becoming world champion for a fourth time unless his form improves dramatically.
The Rocket, who begins his World Championship bid against China's Liang Wenbo on Monday, heads for the Crucible after an indifferent start to the season.
And O'Sullivan said: "My form has been better but anything can happen at the Crucible "I'm not playing as well as I know I can but your form in the season doesn't usually mean much in Sheffield.<<<<<<

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/snoo ... -22182392/

Re: A Ronnieism

Postby Wildey

yup as i said on 606 its a defense mechanism against losing.

Postby Monique

Well yes, it's typical Ronnie. But hey! What do you expect?

Every player is different and tries to cope with the expectations, the pressure and the possible disapointment in their own ways. Ronnie usually downplays his chances but that doesn't mean he will not try.
Ronnie is not the most positive of guys, that's nothing new, he's an anxious and emotional person, always was. He hasn't got a bad season actually: he's won a ranking event Shanghai, reached two other finals (PL and Masters which he lost narrowly in the decider), reached also 2 other semis (UK, and Welsh, each time losing to John Higgins in a close match, not to mention the UK come back!), and lost again to John Higgins in a decider in the GP and if it wasn't for the random draw you'd expect he could have gone further than round 2. In fact only China was a real upset. On the other hand, he has indeed suffered quite a number of close defeats in important matches, so why wonder if he isn't feeling too confident?

Personally I prefer this kind of attitude to what we had sometimes from other players, from Maguire for instance. I'm thinking about the 2008 GP. Lots of boasting before the tournament, the "I'm going to show the world who's the boss" attitude, bringing his whole family at the venue and then getting beaten soundly (5-1) ... don't you look stupid then? Or the Jimmy White "I'm sure I can still win it, I'm playing great in practice" ... I'm not sure if I want to cry or laugh at it.

If players can have a positive attitude, without overhyping themselves, like Selby right now (see http://www.markselby.info/blog.html#item12957-25376 ) that's great, although Selby himself admitted he did cope badly with the 2008 disapointment. But then again people are different and cope differently, and it's also all those different personalities that make the game interesting and the build up of tournaments enthralling.

Postby GJ

StalinESQ wrote:absolutely nothing new here, infact a lot of players talk their chances down, not just ROS <ok>

BTW getting quite excited by the whole thing now....... Come on !!!!!!!!!

:D <cool>

Postby Eirebilly

I dont take much of what Ronnie says too seriously to be honest. I used to listen to him and let him annoy me but now i just cant be bothered, i prefer to just watch him play snooker <ok>.

Postby Smart

eirebilly wrote:I dont take much of what Ronnie says too seriously to be honest. I used to listen to him and let him annoy me but now i just cant be bothered, i prefer to just watch him play snooker <ok>.

thats how I play it - somtimes the fascination takes over and I listen to an interview (post match) but its all a bit contradictory ...... <ok>

Postby Rocket_ron

GJtheaussiestud wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:absolutely nothing new here, infact a lot of players talk their chances down, not just ROS <ok>

BTW getting quite excited by the whole thing now....... Come on !!!!!!!!!

:D <cool>

:D :D :D :D :excited: :excited:

Postby Eirebilly

StalinESQ wrote:
eirebilly wrote:I dont take much of what Ronnie says too seriously to be honest. I used to listen to him and let him annoy me but now i just cant be bothered, i prefer to just watch him play snooker <ok>.

thats how I play it - somtimes the fascination takes over and I listen to an interview (post match) but its all a bit contradictory ...... <ok>

There are two different things here, i hear Ronnies interviews but i dont listen to them rofl