Post a reply

Cue care: Sticky cues

Postby Andy Spark

Hi, I thought I would ask this question because I am thinking others may have had the same problem during the recent hot spell. My club doesn't have air conditioning and I had problems with my cue getting really sticky. So I was wondering if there a routine I should incorporate to minimise general cue stickiness and what are the best surfaces to use when wiping/rubbing down a sticky cue?

Re: Cue care: Sticky cues

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Being a sweaty beasty and always self conscious about squeaky cue action my case always had talcum powder in it. :)

Postby Roland

According to my local cuemaker the worst thing you can do is damp and dry i.e. damp towel to get the cue moist and dry towel to wipe it dry. The way the cue makers would have it so as to maintain the cue is to wash your hands and dry them between frames and wipe the cue with a dry towel and very occasionally use ultra fine wire wool to take a fine layer of dirt off the cue.

I have to say since getting my latest cue which is an absolutely stunning one piece, I have tried this method including today which was very humid and sticky, and I am now convinced the cue doesn't need more than the occasional (i.e. once monthly) wire wool wipe between dry towel wipes to keep it smooth and flowing, it's all about keeping the hands dry.

Postby Andy Spark

Thank you. I think I will try and get hold of some ultra fine wire wool! I'll also try to master the tap in the toilets of my snooker club too so I can wash my hands between frames. It's one of those taps that you press down and the water shoots out and drenches your trousers so you come out looking like you've wet yourself! Annoying! Pity my old Bournemouth Riley's closed down, their toilets were nicer.

Postby Sickpotter

The little green dish scrubbing pads work quite well to remove excess dirt from the shaft, you'll be amazed at what comes off and how nice the cue glides after using it.

Ultra fine wire wool works well too but I've always been a little wary of getting fine metal threads in my hand so I stick with the scrubbing pad.

Postby Andy Spark

Oh good, Mum has a sponge with a white scrubbing bit at the end so I'll use that once a month. :-)

Postby Roland

I know what you mean about being wary of wire wool Sickpotter but the stuff I've got is 0000 grade and it's more like cotton wool and I'm happy it's fine enough not to wear the shaft down.

Postby Smart

wet wipes or a yellow car sponge are something that I always carry with me - be prepared or prepare to fail is my motto.......if you have big pockets you could carry a window cleaners bucket too. I guess it just depends how much you want to avoid a sweaty cue. :clap: