Poll ended at 19 Apr 2010

Steve Davis
44%
Mark King
56%

Total votes : 9

World Championships 2010 R1: King vs Davis

Postby Bourne

Haven't met in ranking tournaments since 2008 where King won, but he lost the previous three meetings to the 6-time Crucible champion, who is making his thirtieth appearance at the tournament this year.

King is figthing to remain in the World's elite top-16 again and could remain there regardless of whether he wins or loses against Davis, who has a remote chance of making it back there himself.

This match is sure to be attritional, both are sure to give their all in every frame, perhaps realising that their chances of doing well in this tournament are dwindling with every year that passes. King has the better form, a quarter-final in China, the higher ranking, odds-on and won a round last season, whereas Davis was thrashed for the loss of 2 frames against semi-finalists Neil Robertson.

Who do you think will take the spoils here ? Be sure to tune in at 7pm on Monday 19 April for the first session and 24 hours later for the final session.

Re: World Championships 2010 R1: King vs Davis

Postby SnookerFan

Lets face it, we aren't looking at a match that the tournament winner is playing in here. I can't see the winner of this going very far at all, especially if they have to play Higgins in the next round.

Unfortunately, I think Davis' days of beating top-16 quality opposition are over. Even when he was in the top-16, he was doing well if he beat the qualifier and lost in the next round. Even that didn't always happen. King is possibly one of the easiest games he could've hoped for. But people were convinced Jimmy would beat King at The Masters. Steve Davis isn't as completely incapable of winning as Jimmy is these days, but I can't see him getting past King. His safety is as good as ever, and this will be a slow-burn Ebdon-style game. But I'd say King will have the superior potting ability, and will make less unforced errors then Davis. King may be one of the weakest in the top-16, but I think he'll know enough to knock Davis out.

Postby Casey

Some good reports Bourne, keep them coming.

As for this match, well sentiment has to come in here – Davis making his 30th appearance and 25 years on from ‘that’ final. I have no doubt there will be a big tribute for Davis and a well deserved one at that.

As for the match, well it COULD be close, if Davis can come out of the 1st session ahead or no worse than 5-4 down, all the pressure is on King. This is one of the few first round matches that could go towards giving some an advantage in the predictions contest as well.

Postby SnookerFan

case_master wc wrote:Some good reports Bourne, keep them coming.

As for this match, well sentiment has to come in here – Davis making his 30th appearance and 25 years on from ‘that’ final. I have no doubt there will be a big tribute for Davis and a well deserved one at that.

As for the match, well it COULD be close, if Davis can come out of the 1st session ahead or no worse than 5-4 down, all the pressure is on King. This is one of the few first round matches that could go towards giving some an advantage in the predictions contest as well.

Sentiment, yes. But how much of that will come into play when it comes to the game? The only person I can see it distracting is Davis. Mark King isn't going to feel bad beating a guy who won 6-world titles just because he couldn't pot a black ball 25 years ago.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote: Mark King isn't going to feel bad beating a guy who won 6-world titles just because he couldn't pot a black ball 25 years ago.

<laugh>

the 1985 world final in a nutshell.

i have to go for King here i know he has stick why hes in the top 16 but lets face facts hes there because he beats the likes of Davis and i cant see that changing here.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:
SnookerFan wrote: Mark King isn't going to feel bad beating a guy who won 6-world titles just because he couldn't pot a black ball 25 years ago.

<laugh>

the 1985 world final in a nutshell.

i have to go for King here i know he has stick why hes in the top 16 but lets face facts hes there because he beats the likes of Davis and i cant see that changing here.

I don't mean to sound glib about the match. But I can't see why the fact it was 25 years ago this year, will effect Steve's opponent more then if it was 24 years ago or 26 years ago. Though on saying that, the big 3-0 may be more of a factor. If people are wanting to see Steve have a big run for his 30th year, the crowd getting on his case may effect Mark King. I don't suppose most people care what year the black ball finish was, but they are more likely to care about Steve's 30th.

Still no disrespect intended, but Mark King isn't a guy who has ever caught the public's imagination, this can't be the first time he's played somebody who gets more cheers then he does. I think he'll still win.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 13 Apr 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

what happened in 85 is gone finished caput Mark King was 11 years of age back then .

its part of history but 25 years will as snookerfan said mean nothing when king grinds davis head in the dirt.

Postby Bourne

King for me. As much as I like Davis, he's just not at this level anymore of being able to beat top 16 players, even arguably the weakest of the lot in King ... but King does pretty much everything Davis does but to a higher standard at the moment, and does have a decent R1 record at the Crucible in recent years. I think he'll win it with something to spare in the end.