Topic locked

Will there be a 147 in the 2010 World Championships ?

Poll ended at 17 Apr 2010

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes : 7

Will there be a 147 in the 2010 World Championships ?

Postby Bourne

It seems that the new tables have really tightened up the top-scoring this season, with just one 147 since last April (Robertson vs Ebdon, China 2010) ... whereas between March 08 and December 08, we saw 7.

Hendry's last year was a classic effort:

What do you think the chances are of there being another one in Sheffield this time and who are the likely candidates ?

Re: Will there be a 147 in the 2010 World Championships ?

Postby Wildey

to be honest its hard to back against it but with only 2 in 2009 compared to 7 in 2008 with Robbo making the first of this decade .....

i think there will be a lot of atempts over the 600 frames or there about during the championship so ill say yes someone will do 1.

Postby SnookerFan

I was going to make a sarcastic comment saying I wasn't nostradamus, so how woud I know, but I didn't realise the stastics were that striking. Between March 2008 and December 2008 we saw seven 147s? Is that just in ranking tournaments and The Masters, or are we adding other events?

It'd be good to see one at The Crucible, but I hadn't realised how conditions were against it. (I do remember Murphy bothcing two 147 attempts in a row at the UK Championship though.)

Lets hope we do get one. Snooker may be very different next season, and it'll be good to see this era out in style. <ok>

Postby Bourne

Maguire in China
Carter in Worlds
O'Sullivan in Worlds
Cope in Shanghai
Campbell/Wenbo in Bahrain
Ding in UK

Wild made a good point, there'll be several hundred frames this fortnight and logic suggests that there'll be at least 4 or 5 good chances from about 80 onwards, but whoever gets it usually struggles to win the match after that so I hope it's not Ding :chin:

Postby Wildey

in the 80s players never went to the table with a aim of clearing up with a frame winning break not even the likes of jimmy white because it was never a issue for them.

it was always about getting whats there if you clear great if you didnt it was expected.

Hendry changed that mindset and today from the first red and black it does enter players heads and they will atempt harder shots to stay on the black than they did in the 80s or early 90s.

theres 2 ways to look at that poor shot selection and leaving the table open for a counter atack if you miss but equally the chance of a 147 is incresed quite a bit.