Post a reply

Lee Doyle resigns from WPBSA board

Postby Roland

Lee Doyle, the chairman of 110sport, has today resigned from the WPBSA board and declared his opposition to its chairman, Barry Hearn, and his future plans for the sport in a move which will precipitate (yet another) bitter battle for control of the sport.

He said: "I feel that my current position as a Director on the Board of the WPBSA is now untenable given that I am completely opposed to the proposals the Chairman, Barry Hearn, has laid out whereby the controlling rights in the Company are handed over to him.

“I do understand what Barry is trying to achieve in snooker and we have discussed this at considerable length. But on this one we agree to disagree.

“Barry has always run his own business and made his own decisions. However, I feel extremely uncomfortable where from my perspective decisions are being taken on contracts without me being consulted as a Board member.

“I do wish some of the players would look at these proposals from the business angle and see the bigger picture and the implications going forward for the game, rather than turning everything in to some kind of popularity contest between those they like and those they don’t want to listen to.”

I have no inside knowledge of the way the WPBSA board works under Hearn.

But I do know that 110sport were the leading cheerleaders of the Altium bid eight years, which bore many similarities to what Hearn is proposing now.

Ironically - or perhaps not - many of those against Altium are now for Hearn.

And so the self-interested, factional world of snooker turns once again.

Doyle's resignation and opposition to Hearn means the bright new future - announced only a fortnight ago - could already be dead in the water, and with it the new tournaments and broadcasting contracts that came with them.

That said, apathy may well yet be the winner. I understand only a handful of players have contacted Hearn since his letter went out, even though he supplied his mobile number and email address.

How many of them will turn up to the May 5 meeting to hear him out rather than rely on 'managers' to decide what's best for them?

Doyle, who manages a large stable of players, neglects to put forward an alternative to the Hearn plan. Perhaps he thinks the way the sport has been run for the last decade is the way things should continue.

However, I understand an alternative proposal is being put together by the very board members who the players rejected just four months ago.

The way things are going, though, the sport will have no credibility left regardless of who is in charge.

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... board.html

Re: Lee Doyle resigns from WPBSA board

Postby Casey

Try and look at the positives, there is going to be an alternative on the table. Who knows, it might be better than what Hearn is suggesting: huh2: :huh2:

Postby Roland

You honestly think so? Cloud cuckoo land springs to mind. The absolute last thing snooker needs right now is a return of the board who were voted out in December. Imagine that only with them having even MORE power! I shudder at the thought.

Postby gallantrabbit

I'm amazed that Doyle lasted as long. He was part of the old regime and involved in the back hander scandal. Good riddance is politeness personified.
I must admit I'm getting a little nervous about this vote though. The worst thing that could happen to snooker after all this renewed hope is for Hearn to walk away. Snooker would die as we know it, just when we have the chance of seeing real progress.

Postby Monique

This is on WPBSA board and on Dave's blog aswell

WPBSA Board Announcement
Lee Doyle, Chairman of 110 Sport has tendered his resignation, with immediate effect from the Board of the WPBSA.

Chairman Barry Hearn commented “I welcome Lee’s decision to resign as a Director of WPBSA.

As a manager of players and promoter of rival events in important territories like China Lee’s position as a Board Director, where confidential information becomes available to effectively a competitor, has become untenable.

He may well be opposed to my plan to reinvigorate snooker for the benefit of all players and I therefore totally understand his reasons for resigning. I’m glad to say that the remaining Board Members, Steve Davis, Brandon Parker and Pat Mooney are, like me, totally committed in supporting these new proposals for taking the game forward and look forward to discussing them with the Players at the meeting planned for 5th May."

Postby Wildey

dont understand Hearn's stance on that "As a manager of players and promoter of rival events in important territories like China Lee’s position as a Board Director, where confidential information becomes available to effectively a competitor, has become untenable."isnt that also Barry himself.

Postby Casey

Well that’s what I don't like about Hearn, he is obviously bitter over this so had a dig at Doyle, you didn't see any of that the other way around.

Also eh…..is matchroom not a competitor to WS? Couldn’t be highlighted more with players last year choosing to play in the matchroom PL ahead of the WPBSA ranking event.
Own goal there Barry

Postby Monique

Other members of the board are Pat Mooney and Brandon Parker. Both also are event promoters and organisers. So there must be more to this than meets the eyes. My reading of it is that Pat Mooney and Brandon Parker agree with Barry Hearn to work with him and offer a blended calendar (the EPT will feature the former PHC in Furth organised by Brandon and Thomas Cesal, the "World Series" would probably be blended in that also) ... while Doyle wants to remain independant. Just my reading...

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

case_master wc wrote:Try and look at the positives, there is going to be an alternative on the table. Who knows, it might be better than what Hearn is suggesting: huh2: :huh2:

In fairness though, if these people had anything to offer than it would have been done in the past few years. There are things I don't like about Hearns proposal and there are alternatives to him but the apathetic players aren't going to find it. If somebody else did come in then they would find another reason to be against it. The opposition to him is mostly self-interest rather than genuine concerns.

Postby Wildey

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
case_master wc wrote:Try and look at the positives, there is going to be an alternative on the table. Who knows, it might be better than what Hearn is suggesting: huh2: :huh2:

In fairness though, if these people had anything to offer than it would have been done in the past few years. There are things I don't like about Hearns proposal and there are alternatives to him but the apathetic players aren't going to find it. If somebody else did come in then they would find another reason to be against it. The opposition to him is mostly self-interest rather than genuine concerns.

whats worrieng for me is the effect this have on players minds when it comes to voting and by mixing it up they are being torn to think if Lee Doyle dont like it there must be something in it.

how i see it is the previous regime is trying to re get control of the sport because barry said if theres a no vote i walk.

so they see a way in through the back door now.

i think saying that was a mistake by barry.

Postby gallantrabbit

I think there's a lot of rankle from times gone by with Doyle's father.
It's a dodgy one because Doyle has 13 players.
Just pray that the majority see sense, or there is a very big chance that snooker will die and I ain't being melodramatic.

Postby Witz78

Bloody hell, the plot thickens :huh:

Another spanner in the works for Hearns plans or as i see it, another convenient excuse for the scared of change and self interests first, players to vote no.

All of this makes a no vote for Hearns plans more likely and IMO this makes 2 things inevitable.

1) a period of bitter in-fighting between the 2 factions
2) a breakaway led either by Hearn or the top players themselves

Does anyone seriously think that re-instating the old guard who failed so badly will really achieve anything other than drag the game further down the gutter.

Hearn says he will walk away if he gets a no vote, personally i could see myself doing the same as the sport with 6 rankers is already a joke and more of the same while sponsorship etc dwindles will just be depressing.

We had the feelgood factor for a few months after Hearn was appointed, now a few influential people who have their own selfish reasons to back against Hearn for their own good, rather than snookers, could well scupper the sports chances for resurrection forever.

Postby Tubberlad

This, in my opinion, brings the Old Guard right back into this race. I hope the players aren't stupid enough to fall for this blatant WPBSA bluff... but I think they are.

Postby Casey

Hearn could yet get the vote, although I think its going to be close. If he doesn’t I don't think it will be the end for snooker as someone else will come in, its a big challenge for someone with ambition.

As for a split, with no broadcasters, no money and only select players that is not going to happen soon

Its just a shame Barry will walk if his plans don’t get passed.

Postby Witz78

Hearns the best man for the job, hes got the proven track record and the ruthless attituide thats required to get snooker back up and running quickly rather than the old guard whove already failed letting the sport drift along and the fans and players being fed a load of waffle and spin to cover up the lack of progress.

As for someone else with ambition coming in if Hearn doesnt get in, its not that simple Case. Walker, Ebdon, Doyle etc are on a power trip and they want power, so why if Hearn gets kicked out would they then be happy for someone else to take control instead.

As for the split, well the PDC split started from scratch with a few select players and broadcasters and sponsors were soon found and over time the rival grew and grew. I could feasibly envisage a breakaway snooker tour on Sky with around a dozen top names, itd be like an extended version of the Premier League in some ways.

The top players have nothing to lose by breaking away to be honest, its sad to say that but given the state of the sport theres almost little worth staying behind for.

The players may have to be bold and take one step back to go 2 forward.

Postby Wildey

i do not want a breakaway but lets face it the top players in snooker today has far more money than the band of darts players had in 1993 so if they broke away the likes of Ronnie,Higgins and co can with no problam.

it would turn snooker in to a joke but with whats gone on today its getting that way anyway.

4 + days before the World Championship and i feel deflated with this rubbish today.

Postby Witz78

me too wild, its put a dampener on things.

Any player that comes within 10 yards of me in Sheffield will be getting interrogated and told that they must vote Hearn !!

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:me too wild, its put a dampener on things.

Any player that comes within 10 yards of me in Sheffield will be getting interrogated and told that they must vote Hearn !!

<laugh>
good lad <ok>

Postby Roland

wildJONESEYE wrote:4 + days before the World Championship and i feel deflated with this rubbish today.

It's depressing isn't it? After the high of the last few months then days before the big one and now this.

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:4 + days before the World Championship and i feel deflated with this rubbish today.

It's depressing isn't it? After the high of the last few months then days before the big one and now this.

It's a pity, that's for sure. I wouldn't expect anything better from Doyle though, never a character that appealed to me, and has a long running feud with Hearn I believe.

Hopefully Hearn is still going to get the go ahead, because this tired bunch can't be left back in.

Postby GJ

the problem is hendry and other are managed by doyle

this will be interesting

Postby Tubberlad

GJtheaussiestud wrote:the problem is hendry and other are managed by doyle

this will be interesting

Why must I love a sport that's so messed up internally <doh>

Postby Witz78

exactly Tubber

Hearns proposal to take 51% control and be in sole charge is the only way for snooker to move forward properly rather than having too many bees round the honey, or in snookers case flies round the sh1t

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:exactly Tubber

Hearns proposal to take 51% control and be in sole charge is the only way for snooker to move forward properly rather than having too many bees round the honey, or in snookers case flies round the sh1t

I think nearly all of us with a brain acknowledge that Hearn is the only credible option, and represents the required change for a game that has looked really tired. I was absolutely buzzing about the World Championships, feeling total confidence in the game, and now this.

Disappointing, but hopefully it's just a blip on the road to redemption for snooker...

Postby Casey

Witz I would take some convincing that there would be a split.
When darts did it the prize money on the BDO was not that great so the risk was less for the players.

With the WPBSA they have
£250k
£150K
£100k
£75K
and a couple of £40K+ all to play for.

Sky's ONLY snooker tournament offers a top prize of only £30K and that’s with only 7 players involved. It would be a massive slash in wages for the players, could the likes of Selby, Robbo, Allen, Ding, Cope all take the risk in leaving for small money? Remember they are not set up like Higgins and O'Sullivan.

If sky were really interested in hosting more snooker then that would be evident in Hearn's plan. Also if they were really interested why hasn't matchroom put something else on sky apart from the league?

If 110sport have control of event in China you can be sure the Chinese players would be staying with the WPBSA, meaning a big loss in potential income for any new tour.

Nope can't see a split, but to answer your question if Hearn was to leave I would imagine Pat Mooney might be interested in the job :huh2:

Its just a shame Barry is demanding control, there would have been no problem if he just wanted to put in place the proposed calendar.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Players like Hendry and others managed by Doyle have to forget loyalties and look at the bigger picture and do whats best for the sport !!

Stephen Hendry is his own man and theres no lovelost these days between Lee Doyle and Hendry but 110sport/Cuemasters call it what you want was built around hendry.

If i was a betting man my guess is Hendry will jump ship if need be.

he needs change he needs inspiration and he will go with Barry Hearn on this.

Postby gallantrabbit

Don't worry fellas (and ladies) Now I've realised that ROS and Hendry are managed by Doyle I'm not concerned anymore. ROS and Hendry will vote with Hearn, they have already declared so. Doyle won't be as much of an influence as those two either to get his other pros on his side.
Anyone who is not in the top 16 MUST vote with Hearn. Otherwise they will continue playing for a 5 spot per frame down their local clubs.
Let's keep calm, the vote will go with Hearn :ahh:

Postby NedB-H

Witz78 wrote:exactly Tubber

I don't agree with that. Other sports have a head of their governing board, but not one with total control like this would give Hearn. They have boards, similar to the current one, to keep a lid on the power of the chairman. If Hearn gets the 51% control, he can basically force through whatever he wants, and that won't necessarily be a good thing... Hearn will have good ideas, but he still needs to be balanced out by other officials, or things will spiral out of control. That doesn't mean the remaining board members have to be from the old regime though.