Post a reply

English Amateur Championship 2013

Postby roy142857

Last 32 rounds will be played at Northern Snooker Leeds and South West Snooker Gloucester on the weekend of 20th/21st April, not sure but guessing that Northern and Southern finals on 15th June and 'Grand' final on 16th June at the Star Academy, Sheffield.

Qualifying round losers included Gary Wilson, losing 3-4 to David Lilley, James Cahill, losing 3-4 to Chris Norbury, Oliver Lines losing 1-4 to Jeff Cundy and Rob James losing 1 - 4 to Jamie Bodle. Ryan Causton lost 1 - 4 to David Gray, who then beat Sam Harvey 4 - 0 in the next round.

Johnathan Bagley currently has the high break with a 114.

Re: English Amateur Championship 2013

Postby roy142857

Northern section - Northern Snooker, Leeds 20th/21st April

Last 16
Jeff Cundy 5 – 1 Jonathan Bagley
Stuart Carrington 5 – 1 Jason Tart
James Gillespie 5 – 0 Danny Connolly
Michael Williams 5 – 4 Andy Marriott
Chris Norbury 5 – 3 Ashley Hugill
Antony Parsons 5 – 4 John Whitty
Michael Rhodes 5 – 4 Sanderson Lam
Kyren Wilson 5 – 4 David Lilley

Quarter finals
Stuart Carrington 5 – 0 Jeff Cundy
(Carrington had breaks of 78,61,80 and 74)
Michael Williams 5 – 4 James Gillespie
(Williams break of 106)
Antony Parson 5 – 2 Chris Norbury
(Parsons break of 125)
Michael Rhodes 5 – 2 Kyren Wilson

Semi finals
Stuart Carrington 8 – 0 Michael Williams
(Carrington had breaks of 61,61,54,69, 54,77 and 59)
Michael Rhodes 8 – 7 Antony Parsons

Stuart Carrington and Michael Rhodes qualify for the Northern Final

Postby roy142857

Southern section – SWSA Gloucester 20th/21st April

Last 16
Zak Surety 5 – 1 Andrew Norman
David Gray 5 – 0 Jonathan Charlton
Syd Wilson 5 – 3 Lewis Frampton
Jamie Bodle 5 – 1 Tony Strange
Billy Castle 5 – 3 Adam Bobat
Jamie Brown w/o Michael Cushion
Ben Harrison 5 – 0 Shane Castle
Mitchell Mann 5 – 3 Zac Richardson

Quarter finals
David Gray 5 – 2 Zak Surety
Syd Wilson 5 – 1 Jamie Bodle
Billy Castle 5 – 4 Jamie Brown
Ben Harrison 5 – 4 Mitchell Mann

Semi finals
David Gray 8 – 5 Syd Wilson
Ben Harrison 8 – 7 Billy Castle

David Gray and Ben Harrison qualify for the Southern Final

Postby Roland

I'm off to watch this tomorrow at the Star Academy in Sheffield, somewhere I'm yet to visit, however I'm waiting on Ben to confirm Gray has showed up before setting off.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I'm off to watch this tomorrow at the Star Academy in Sheffield, somewhere I'm yet to visit, however I'm waiting on Ben to confirm Gray has showed up before setting off.

:chuckle:

Postby Roland

Nice set up here. Ben and Gray are 1-1 at the moment, looking like Gray in the 3rd. In the other semi carrington and Rhodes are 2-2

Postby Roland

Long frame that, Ben nicked it on the black. The other match is 3-2 Carrington and there's a MSI so they're 2 frames plus an interval behind.

Postby Wildey

Stuart Carrington 3-2 Michael Rhodes
Ben Harrison 2-1 David Gray

Postby Wildey

Stuart Carrington 5-2 Michael Rhodes
Ben Harrison 4-3 David Gray

the second session is underway since 4pm

Postby Wildey

Stuart Carrington 6-2 Michael Rhodes
Ben Harrison 5-3 David Gray

Postby Wildey

Stuart Carrington 7-2 Michael Rhodes
Ben Harrison 5-4 David Gray

Postby Wildey

Stuart Carrington 8-2 Michael Rhodes
Ben Harrison 7-5 David Gray

Postby Roland

We could do because Q School has happened between the qualifers and the finals. The under 21s tomorrow is between two tour players, Hammad Miah and someone else (help).

I'm back there tomorrow to watch the final. Hopefully Ben will pick up where he left off because he was firing in the last 3 frames. The first session was scrappy and Ben should really have lead by more than 4-3, Gray was all over the place and never looked like making 20 from any chance. Then the second session Ben started off well and killed a frame off quick to lead 5-3 and that seemed to kick Gray into gear and he ran out the next two fairly comfortably, one of them aided by a nasty snooker which netted 28 points in foul and misses. But at 5-5 and with Gray looking in good nick, he missed a simple blue to middle, not on its spot but easy all the same and Ben punished him with a 60 odd, amusingly playing a half fussed side of tip shot to pink before the white had stopped travelling when he knew he hadn't landed on it from blue. The ref and marker looked at each other in confusion. Anyway, it was a great punish from Ben and looking back it's what won him the match, he never looked in trouble knocking in a 70 from a long red at the start of the next, and a 20 odd from a long red in the last, played safe, then got in with a 40 odd later in the frame and it was game over.

As I just said on Twitter, if you read the @englishsnooker twitter feed you'll see they were inactive for 2 years and suddenly started tweeting just after I got there and started tweeting. Snooker Island bringing English Snooker into the cyber age.

Postby roy142857

Sonny wrote:We could do because Q School has happened between the qualifers and the finals. The under 21s tomorrow is between two tour players, Hammad Miah and someone else (help).

Chris Wakelin

Postby Roland

Yes I just saw the name in the ranking list and thought "That's him" anyway I'll know who he is after watching him tomorrow.

Postby Wildey

Latest

Stuart Carrington 1-1 Ben Harrison

under 21

Chris Wakelin 2-0 Hammad Miah

Postby Wildey

Latest

Stuart Carrington 4-2 Ben Harrison

under 21

Chris Wakelin 6-1 Hammad Miah

under 14

Joseph Reynolds 3-2 Chae Ross

Postby Wildey

Latest

Stuart Carrington 6-2 Ben Harrison

under 21

Chris Wakelin 6-1 Hammad Miah

under 14

Joseph Reynolds 5-2 Chae Ross

Postby Roland

It was a bit disappointing today with Ben losing 10-2 and not making a better match of it but Carrington was very good and made the most of every chance. Whenever he got in he always looked like making a 60 and often from positions which when he came to the table didn't look on, and before you know it he's got black on the spot and reds spread nicely around it.

He's only 22, I thought he was older because he looks older but in which case then he's got a bright future in the game. He looks a bit like a David Grace / Matthew Stevens hybrid bizarre as that sounds. Anyway he deserved his win today and Ben showed his inexperience in the longer formats by panicking a bit early when he didn't need to which in the end is where the match got away from him.

We're talking taking on a tough double after being disappointed at not landing on one of the last 2 reds with colours on spots at 3-2 down instead of playing an easy safety shot, and the red that missed the double ended up being potted for 4-2. Then not taking due care and attention on a shot which required it as it wasn't easy (red on pink spot, white close to middle jaws played at hard stun pace) when he was in with a scoring chance in the next and on a break of 20 odd with balls perfect, the red missed and went into the pack and Carrington made a 70.

At 7-2 down after the first session (when I arrived he was 1-0 and 53 points ahead) he badly needed to get off to a good start, and he had a chance at the end of a scrappy frame in which with 4 reds left the scores read 15-5. Ben landed not perfect on the blue which was close to top cush and half way between black and pocket and tried to cut it to the far pocket and left it in the jaws. Part 2 of the shot worked which was snookering behind the pink (which would have been easy frame ball had the blue dropped), however as I knew he would Carrington went in and out of baulk, clipped the blue in and landed perfect on the pink for 8-2 which knocked the stuffing out of Ben and he looked and later admitted to be embarrassed and wanting to get out of there for the last couple of frames.

Still, it's all a learning experience and Carrington showed his quality today, amazingly the guy who was with him (his dad or coach) wasn't happy with how he played because he missed a handful in a 9 frame session!

In the under 21s Chris Wakelin lead Hammad Miah 2-0 and in the 3rd they both missed makable blacks for frame which Wakelin potted for 3-0. Miah managed to get back to 3-1 potting some stupid long balls which are clearly his trademark and to watch out for if you see him on the tv or stream this season. He ended up being outplayed until 6-1 but when I chatted to him between sessions he said how he was going to close shop and stop going for everything because it was his last chance to win the under 21s as he's on tour (he's 19).

He made a good fist of it coming back to 6-4 but ended up losing 8-4. At 6-2 they were on the black again and Miah had white near top cush and black about a foot off side cushion just past middle. I looked away just as he made contact and next thing I see black going into the middle it was nearest at perfect line and pace. I thought "Hang on, he was standing there and the black is going in at this angle, what happened?" and his opponent tapped the table as if to say good shot. What I later found out is that he did fluke it, and he's one of those players who never apologises for little flicks and run of the ball so I guess it was a sarcastic tap of the table. "It's about time I had some form" he said at the MSI.

The juniors was entertaining, mainly because they were just going for everything but the right kid won, Joe Reynolds. He looks like the milky bar kid but he had a bit more nous and was very good with the rest which both needed a lot more than adults obviously.

Saw Mark and Hannah, sorry I didn't chat for longer Mark, when I left I thought I was going to come back in but ended up going home after spending a few minutes with a very disappointed snooker player!

Postby markj147

No problem. It was nice to see you not banned since your shenanigans yesterday. :)

Joe Reynolds is a cracking lad. He plays in shed loads of tournaments. He knocked in an 88 break in a 1 frame county snooker match the other week and he is 11 years old. Bit of a temper on him but it seems to be going with experience.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:amazingly the guy who was with him (his dad or coach) wasn't happy with how he played because he missed a handful in a 9 frame session!

he might have been happy inside but never show a young hopeful how happy you are there's always more to strive for and let them go away with more to work on.