Post a reply

Re: Victoria Bulgarian Open (European Tour 1) Discussion !!

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:In their head to heads, Ronnie still leads, but only just and Higgins is fast approaching.

I actually did the maths one day and if you exclude PL and CL, Higgins is already ahead.

Yeah that's right.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
TheRocket wrote:When we talk about streaks. Do you think that Ronnie is sick of keeping to lose against Higgins or does he not even care? I mean, look, how hard he tried it against Trump when Trump managed him to beat 3 times in a row. Ronnie wanted to beat him very badly and he did.
But when I saw the match today I didn't see a hungry and motivated Ronnie who is obsessed to end this ugly streak. I just saw a man who gave up after the 2:2.

I can only speak for my personal life. I often play table tennis or pool with my friends for fun but even then I hate nothing more than to lose and if I lose against the same person 2 times or more in a row I'm getting extremely obsessed and agressive and give 150 % next time to beat this man. And I don't even play for money. But I play for my honour. I want to win everything. That's what Stephen Hendry thought and did in his best years. He was obsessed to beat the donkey doo out of his opponents.

But I don't see this obsession in Ronnies face when he plays against Higgins. Even today he looked like he was already beaten when he entered the arena and he walked like a scared rabbit around the table while Higgins was full of self confidence. Where was the aura of Ronnie?

Ronnie needs to grow some balls. Unworthy for a player of his calibre to fear someone.

Maybe he was extremely competitive earlier when the streak was only two or three matches and when Higgins kept winning, he lost that drive?

Or maybe he's so unused to good players actually putting up a fight and he can't deal with it anymore?

No he's more than used to that, what he struggles is Higgins and Selby putting up a good fight, that's when in recent times he ends up losing against them.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:When we talk about streaks. Do you think that Ronnie is sick of keeping to lose against Higgins or does he not even care? I mean, look, how hard he tried it against Trump when Trump managed him to beat 3 times in a row. Ronnie wanted to beat him very badly and he did.
But when I saw the match today I didn't see a hungry and motivated Ronnie who is obsessed to end this ugly streak. I just saw a man who gave up after the 2:2.

I can only speak for my personal life. I often play table tennis or pool with my friends for fun but even then I hate nothing more than to lose and if I lose against the same person 2 times or more in a row I'm getting extremely obsessed and agressive and give 150 % next time to beat this man. And I don't even play for money. But I play for my honour. I want to win everything. That's what Stephen Hendry thought and did in his best years. He was obsessed to beat the rubbish out of his opponents.

But I don't see this obsession in Ronnies face when he plays against Higgins. Even today he looked like he was already beaten when he entered the arena and he walked like a scared rabbit around the table while Higgins was full of self confidence. Where was the aura of Ronnie?

Ronnie needs to grow some balls. Unworthy for a player of his calibre to fear someone.

Maybe it's a good thing Ronnie lost today in the long run. Things were going really well in the last 2 years. He's the reigning World Champion and if had won today also, maybe he would have become a bit lazy over the next couple of months.

I hope he'll be thinking about this match today and I hope he's very displeased with that result. Maybe he'll now enter more events than he would have planned only to get back at Higgins. Show him who's the World Champion.

Postby TheRocket

@ Skullman. Barry Hawkins (World Final), Neil Robertson (2012 World) and especially Stephen Maguire (German Open 2012 final) put up a much harder fight against Ronnie than Higgins ever did against him in the last 5 or 6 years but against Hawkins,Robertson and Maguire Ronnie gave everytme the perfect answer and fought like a Lion.

I wrote it a couple of pages before. Since 8 years Ronnies level always drops heavily in his matches against Higgins and he misses the easiest balls and making amateurish mistakes. Even Higgins admitted after their 2011 World Championship match that Ronnies bad mistakes were the reason he came back and won.
As I said. Even today he looked right from the beginning of the match uncomfortable and didn't believe in himself. I just want to repeat my statement. It's like Federer vs Nadal. To quote vodkadiet. "O'Sullivan is a mental midget when playing Higgins". Hard words but it's the truth. Even I admit it as a big Ronnie O'Sullivan fan.

So yes, I think Ronnie needs to grow some big balls.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Maybe it's a good thing Ronnie lost today in the long run. Things were going really well in the last 2 years. He's the reigning World Champion and if had won today also, maybe he would have become a bit lazy over the next couple of months.

I hope he'll be thinking about this match today and I hope he's very displeased with that result. Maybe he'll now enter more events than he would have planned only to get back at Higgins. Show him who's the World Champion.

Just like all his previous losses to Higgins have motivated him.

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Maybe it's a good thing Ronnie lost today in the long run. Things were going really well in the last 2 years. He's the reigning World Champion and if had won today also, maybe he would have become a bit lazy over the next couple of months.

Their next match will prove it skullman. This PTC was indeed a small weak tournament. I hope, they will play in many rankers as possible, preferably, UK,Masters,World. Then we will get the answer of the motivation.

Postby Skullman

Muppet147 wrote:It should be pointed out that as well as losing to Higgins in the world championship, Ronnie has beaten Higgins on more than one occasion. Most notably in the final.

True but that was in 2001. Higgins has had the advantage for the last ten years.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:

Things changed since when. Ronnie is now officially the best player of the World and was pretty much untouchable in the last 2 years at the Crucible. Considering these cirumstances, it's unaccepable that he can't beat Higgins. This has to be his next big challenge - ending that losing streak.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Things changed since when. Ronnie is now officially the best player of the World and was pretty much untouchable in the last 2 years at the Crucible. Considering these cirumstances, it's unaccepable that he can't beat Higgins. This has to be his next big challenge - ending that losing streak.

Untouchable against people who haven't been able to beat him in several years, with two exceptions and Ronnie is no better than he was back in 2009-11 when Higgins was beating him consistently. Things haven't changed.

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Things changed since when. Ronnie is now officially the best player of the World and was pretty much untouchable in the last 2 years at the Crucible. Considering these cirumstances, it's unaccepable that he can't beat Higgins. This has to be his next big challenge - ending that losing streak.

Untouchable against people who haven't been able to beat him in several years, with two exceptions and Ronnie is no better than he was back in 2009-11 when Higgins was beating him consistently. Things haven't changed.

That's not true. Ronnie was clearly better in 2012 and 2013 than he was between 09-11. But the performance of today was 2009-2011 like. That's right.

Postby Muppet147

Skullman wrote:

Ronnie should have won today. He was unlucky to accidentally knock in the black after he potted the blue in frame three. That would have put him 3-0 up and on course for victory.

Next time he will get him!

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:

Sorry but that couldn't be further from the truth. Ronnie's state of mind improved dramatically since he started working with Dr Peters. He never would have beaten Robertson or Trump if he had played like he did between 2009 and 2011.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:
Skullman wrote:

That's not true. Ronnie was clearly better in 2012 and 2013 than he was between 09-11. But the performance of today was 2009-2011 like. That's right.

I see we're both thinking very alike. <cool>

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Sorry but that couldn't be further from the truth. Ronnie's state of mind improved dramatically since he started working with Dr Peters. He never would have beaten Robertson or Trump if he had played like he did between 2009 and 2011.

Ronnie from that era was good when he could be bothered and crap when he couldn't. When he could be bothered he still couldn't beat Higgins.

The only thing that's changed now is that he can be bothered more often. His actual standard of play hasn't improved.

Postby Muppet147

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Sorry but that couldn't be further from the truth. Ronnie's state of mind improved dramatically since he started working with Dr Peters. He never would have beaten Robertson or Trump if he had played like he did between 2009 and 2011.

Ronnie from that era was good when he could be bothered and crap when he couldn't. When he could be bothered he still couldn't beat Higgins.

The only thing that's changed now is that he can be bothered more often. His actual standard of play hasn't improved.

Actually, that's quite true. Though he's won the past two world championships, he hasn't played significantly better than in previous years. In fact, when he won in 2008 he was much better than now.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:

Wrong. I agree that his consistency improved but his biggest improvement was the ability to cope with pressure. In 2009 and 2010 he should have beaten Allen and Selby but he didn't because he missed important pressure shots. He didn't in 2012 and 2013.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Muppet147 wrote:
Skullman wrote:

Actually, that's quite true. Though he's won the past two world championships, he hasn't played significantly better than in previous years. In fact, when he won in 2008 he was much better than now.

I don't think so. Remember he hammered Bingham, scored a record breaking 6 centuries in the final and never lost a session.

Postby TheRocket

2012/2013 Ronnie is better than 2009-2011. His Breakbuilding is more solid and he is mentally far stronger thanks to Peters. But ,yes I have to admit that he still has the same mental problems against Higgins. Peters should work with him concerning this point.
But apart from that I always said that Ronnies full peak years were between 2004-2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wq9LCbSxM4

And that was I think Ronnies greatest match ever and his last really big victory over Higgins in a big match and one of the greatest displays in the history of Snooker. I don't know how many people here remember this match. I do it and its a great memory.

Have fun with the video. I'm going for a Kip. Good night to everybody.

Postby Muppet147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:
Skullman wrote:

I don't think so. Remember he hammered Bingham, scored a record breaking 6 centuries in the final and never lost a session.

I remember. But he was making more long pots in 2008. And the way he played against Hendry in the semi-final that year was awesome.

He was missing quite a few long pots in the 2013 tournament.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:
Skullman wrote:

I don't think so. Remember he hammered Bingham and scored a record breaking 6 centuries in the final.

Agree, this year's Worlds performance was by far his best one in winning the Worlds, very close to last year in fact, whereas in 2001 and 2004 especially he was very inconsistent in the eralier rounds. He's playing much better now, his long potting has improved so much considering that spell from 2006/2011 when his long potting was way off, and his safety is as good as it's ever been, not to mention his scoring ability, the most tons anyone has ever made in a World Final, and he equalled his record of tons in the Worlds with 13 this year (2004 was the other one) just 3 shy of Hendry's record of 16 in 2002 Worlds.

I just hope Ronnie plays in the big events this season like Worlds, UK, Masters and then maybe German and Welsh Open, and draws Higgins so he can get his revenge.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:2012/2013 Ronnie is better than 2009-2011. His Breakbuilding is more solid and he is mentally far stronger thanks to Peters. But ,yes I have to admit that he still has the same mental problems against Higgins. Peters should work with him concerning this point.
But apart from that I always said that Ronnies full peak years were between 2004-2008.

And that was I think Ronnies greatest match ever and his last really big victory over Higgins in a big match and one of the greatest displays in the history of Snooker. I don't know how many people here remember this match. I do it and its a great memory.

Ronnie had a 97% pot success in that match. UNBELIEVEABLE.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
TheRocket wrote:2012/2013 Ronnie is better than 2009-2011. His Breakbuilding is more solid and he is mentally far stronger thanks to Peters. But ,yes I have to admit that he still has the same mental problems against Higgins. Peters should work with him concerning this point.

Ronnie had a 97% pot success in that match. UNBELIEVEABLE.

That was one of Ronnie's greatest ever performances. Along with 2007 Masters final, 2008 Worlds semi, 2013 Worlds Final, 2007 NI match against Carter where he had 5 tons just to name a few.

Postby vodkadiet

The O'Sullivan vs Higgins is distorted by matches that aren't real snooker. O'Sullivan leads 10-3 in the combination of Premier Leaue and Championship League matches(they don't count to a real snooker fan). Higgins leads 22-18 in the real matches, and has won 9 of the last 10 between the pair. However, I don't think it will last. O'Sullivan is bound to get a few wins over Higgins soon, if only because Higgins isn't anywhere near as good as he once was. It isn't like the O'Sullivan vs Williams rivalry which is just insanely one sided. Williams has absolutely no belief when he plays O'Sullivan.

Mark Selby said after beating O'Sullivan in the 2010 that "O'Sullivan doesn't like players standing up to him". Therein lies the secret. Play the balls and not the player. O'Sullivan has spells when he plays great, but most times he will play at a level which is very beatable.

It is about time the younger generation started performing though. These 2 guys (O'Sullivan and Higgins) are nearly 40 and are still favourites for the big tournaments. That can't be right.

Postby Alpha

If O'Sullivan had not fouled the final blue in the 3rd frame, he would have won that one as Higgins was way off. I remember it being the same in their 2011 World quarter final where O'Sullivan battered Higgins from pillar to post but just could not pot those crucial balls allowing Higgins to drag himself back into the match.
Sadly, the only player that will beat O'Sullivan at the 2014 Crucible is Higgins. And if Higgins wins, a 39 year old man will be World Champion.