Post a reply

Re: Victoria Bulgarian Open (European Tour 1) Discussion !!

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Overall this tournament was a success for Ronnie. He turned up, he had the right attitude, made a couple of centuries and reached the semi final. Not bad.

Yeah that's the way we have to look at it, but still his streak of recent losses against Higgins hurt a lot more whereas had he faced another opponent in the semi and lost wouldn't have been so bad, but anyway..

Like I said, hope he plays in more events and gets his revenge on Higgins, a Major match encounter would be even more tasty.

True. If he had lost to someone like Mark Davis or Barry Hawkins I wouldn't have minded but Higgins :irk:

Every streak ends sometime. And Ronnie is far too good to not beat Higgins anytime soon. Also if he had had just a little bit of luck in that 3. frame we now would be talking about Ronnie being the unstoppable force in snooker.

Postby Skullman

Casey wrote:It's a completely different Higgins to the one we seen during the first 6 months of the year. Is he due one last push in his career?

He was strong early season last year as well and only petered out near the end. He's still as good, he just doesn't have the stamina for these new busier times. If he manages his season better, he could still be a force.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Overall this tournament was a success for Ronnie. He turned up, he had the right attitude, made a couple of centuries and reached the semi final. Not bad.

Yeah that's the way we have to look at it, but still his streak of recent losses against Higgins hurt a lot more whereas had he faced another opponent in the semi and lost wouldn't have been so bad, but anyway..

Like I said, hope he plays in more events and gets his revenge on Higgins, a Major match encounter would be even more tasty.

Every streak ends sometime.

So MJW will have a winning streak against ROS soon then?

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
Casey wrote:It's a completely different Higgins to the one we seen during the first 6 months of the year. Is he due one last push in his career?

He was strong early season last year as well and only petered out near the end. He's still as good, he just doesn't have the stamina for these new busier times. If he manages his season better, he could still be a force.

Couldn't agree more, in this time in his career he could play about half of the events or a little bit more and it would be better for him cause on his day he still is as good as ever.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:

Every streak ends sometime.

So MJW will have a winning streak against ROS soon then?

Why not? Although Ronnie had Williams always firmly in his pocket since that 2010 Masters semi final, O'Sullivan will eventually have a bad day against Mark and in a short distance match like in a PTC event, Williams might finally get the better of him.

But this is less likely because it's been over a decade since MJW beat Ronnie and most of the time comfortably while Higgins always only edged Ronnie in the last couple of years.

EDIT: I misread your post, of course Williams will never have a winning streak against Ronnie again but a single win in a PTC, why not?

Postby vodkadiet

O'Sullivan is a mental midget when he plays Higgins. He has only beaten him once in a real match in about 8 or 9 years. The rest of the tour, with the exception of Selby should be ashamed of themselves.

Postby TheRocket

vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan is a mental midget when he plays Higgins. He has only beaten him once in a real match in about 8 or 9 years.

That's the first time I agree with you. Indeed. Ronnie O'Sullivan isn't able to play his full ability against Higgins (since 2005). His last big win over Higgins was the 2005 Masters final.

Postby Wildey

Muppet147 wrote:I doubt many people will bother to watch the final. It's a shame as most of them were probably hoping to watch the world champion play.

most people of Bulgaria, Europe and the World thought the World Champion wouldn't even show up so that's a load of cobblers to start.

Postby vodkadiet

TheRocket wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan is a mental midget when he plays Higgins. He has only beaten him once in a real match in about 8 or 9 years.

That's the first time I agree with you. Indeed. Ronnie O'Sullivan isn't able to play his full ability against Higgins (since 2005). His last big win over Higgins was the 2005 Masters final.

The 2006 Masters final is what turned the mental advantage in Higgins favour. I think he cleared up with 65 to win on the black in the final frame. Prior to that there was the Grand Prix final in 2005 when Higgins beat him 9-2 when he hardly missed a ball.

Postby TheRocket

vodkadiet wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

The 2006 Masters final is what turned the mental advantage in Higgins favour. I think he cleared up with 65 to win on the black in the final frame. Prior to that there was the Grand Prix final in 2005 when Higgins beat him 9-2 when he hardly missed a ball.

Yes, this two matches had massive impact. Since then O'Sullivan was never able to produce solid stuff against Higgins, let alone producing his best game. The strange thing is. If Higgins is playing bad and producing mistakes, O'Sullivan is even getting worse. I'm not a psychologist but O'Sullivan looked even very uncomfortable when he entered the arena and after Higgins made it 2:2 he already gave up and produce two amateurish mistakes to give Higgins the match.

So yes, as I mentioned before. He surely has a mental barrier when playing against Higgins. Like Williams,Carter and Ding has it when they play O'Sullivan.
Or another prominent example. Like Federer has it against Nadal.