Post a reply

Players to look out for in the 2013/14 season

Postby Roland

Just for a bit of fun tell us which players you will be keeping a close eye on next season and why.

I'll kick off with mine:

Pankaj Advani - He impressed greatly in his first season, the man has proven bottle in winning several world titles at various levels in both billiards and snooker (World Amateur snooker champ at 18) and is clearly a top cueman capable of big things in the snooker world. If ever there was a man to demonstrate the art of great safety and how it can be enjoyed from a viewers point of view then Pankaj is the man, and at times his cue ball control and the touch shots he plays to retain it are mind-blowing. As one of his peers said on twitter, "He just made a century keeping the white on a piece of string that was only 6 inches long!" I rate him as highly as being a potential Top 16 players and tournament winner.

Kurt Maflin - Kurt is a class snooker player who plays the type of game that is great to watch. He's a phenomenal break builder and exceptional potter, daring to take on the spectacular at high pressure moments. Kamikaze maybe but he gets a high %age and I just love watching him play the game and hope he pushes on to bigger things next season. He can do serious damage in any tournament he enters assuming he is blowing more hot than cold.

Liu Chuang - He reached the Crucible at 17 and has been serving his apprenticeship ever since. I thought last season he'd push on but maybe it will be this season. He is class and sooner or later he will come good. I will be keeping a close eye on him.

Luca Brecel - I don't need to say any more than I already have. The kid is class and one day he could become my favourite ever player. Don't be surprised if it takes him a couple of seasons yet to become fully established but he is capable of shocking the field and doing very well in one or two events per season as he showed in nearly beating Shaun Murphy in the UK Quarter-finals last season.

Dechawat Poomjaeng - You all remember him from the Crucible. Big personality, I think his ability has been under-estimated and expect him to match his Crucible showing and more next season. The shot in the decider against Maguire where he potted a red and jumped the corner of the pack to land on a colour should demonstrate what he brings to the game.

Thepchiya Un-Nooh - Another Thai player and a very exciting player to watch. This kid is seriously talented and is a devastating potter when he gets going. He plays fast and with flair so he will pick up lots of fans along the way.

Michael White - Will he do what Jamie Jones did after reaching his Crucible quarter-final and struggle next season or will he push on? I think the latter. Don't be surprised if he features in a lot of latter stages next season claiming some big scalps along the way. I was very impressed with how he already seems to have extinguished his short fuse and remain calm, and to be able to do that at such a young age demonstrates his strength of mind.

Anthony McGill - I think this lad is ready to shoot up the rankings having served out his apprenticeship. His run to the final of the PTC in his homeland is proof of his calibre, only the best can handle the pressure of the home fans and deliver their best form. Ants is a quality match player with a winning attitude so I expect him to kick on this season and attain the next level of performance.

Sam Baird - Sam was quality in qualifying for the Crucible but unfortunately looked like a lost child when thrust into the bear pit. He's clearly got an amazing talent and will build on the experience he's had so far to push on this season. I expect him to reach at least one big quarter-final.

Jack Lisowsi - You all know who he is. I don't need to explain why I think he's heading for big things and will be a big threat next season.

Ian Burns - Burns is the definition of solid. He doesn't wilt and is a very smart tactician capable of beating anyone on his day. He had a lot of good results last season and he is at the age where he has a lot of experience and will doubtless use it to push on to the next level. He is entering his peak years. He will be at a few venues next season without a doubt.

Ben Woollaston - Ben achieved one of his targets last season in reaching the Crucible, knocking out Ryan Day along the way. I said it before the event, he is ready whereas maybe a year ago he wasn't quite there. Like Burns he will reach a lot of venues and I'm sure will be on the tv screens quite a lot next season. Ben has a lot of bottle and is a fast and fluent player who is very easy to watch. We haven't seen the best of him yet by a long way.

Martin O'Donnell - He's had a year on tour which should work in his favour now for the second season. Maybe I over estimated how well he would do last season but I still rate him very highly and think he will push on to bigger things this season.

As for the big names obviously the main thing will be seeing how the likes of Selby and Robertson get on against Ronnie and Judd. For me they are the big four of this era. Also it will be interesting to keep an eye on Higgins to see if last season was a blip and if he finds the hunger he is still capable, or is he really on the way down?

Lastly Barry Hawkins. He played his best snooker in the biggest match of the year so I expect him to be riding high for the first part of the season and challenge for the big titles. I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets on.

So those are my names to watch.

:santa:

Re: Players to look out for in the 2013/14 season

Postby TheRocket

I would extend your list by adding Marco Fu. He has shown that he still can be a very dangerous opponent on his day like at his peak times and I expect to him reach 1 or 2 semi(s) and maybe even a final his season.

Postby Skullman

My players to watch

Hossien Vafaei Ayouri: Assuming he finally gets on tour at some point this season! Heard some good things about him, and obviously he can play as he was World Amateur Champion last year.

Scott Donaldson: One of the latest Scottish additions to the tour. He’s had some good results early last season, although seemed to tail off near the end. Not really that high in the rankings, but I hope he can start playing well this season and at least survive. Definitely a better prospect than Michael Leslie, only taking tour results into account.

Pankaj Advani: The current World Billiards Champion trying his hand at snooker for two seasons. Already made it to two venues and reached the quarters of the Welsh, beating three former World Championships en route. He also made it to a PTC semi-final, losing only to Selby. Can definitely repeat achievements like that, if he can make it through

Luca Brecel: The super hyped Belgian teenager, who made it to the UK quarter final last year. Let’s see how well he does and whether he makes it to more than venue this season.

Cao ‘Eric’ Yupeng: Very good player who went off the boil after the UK Championship last season. Let’s see if he can replicate the form that got him to four venues and three last 16s in 2012.

David Gilbert: Another good player who had a decent season out of the public eyes in the qualifiers, although he made one venue, the Haikou World Open. Let’s see if he find the form that got him to the last 16 of the Crucible in 2012 and do some damage.

Lisowksi & Mike White: Two twenty-somethings that were hyped up in the previous years. Both had good runs last season, White to a World Quarter and Lisowski to a PTC final and a ranking quarter. Let’s see if they count as breakthroughs.

As for the top players: Let’s see if Robbo and Selby can keep up being the best men on tour and see if our reigning World Champion can keep up his Crucible form, when he can be bothered to grace us with his presence. And personally, I’d like to see Smurph, Mags and Carter do well.

Finally let’s see if MJW has anymore good runs in him and whether the John Higgins of old turns up for more than a couple of tournaments this season.

May be more after Q-School.

Postby Muppet147

Some interesting choices.

Brecel is destined to win the world title ONE DAY but, as Sonny says, it may take him a few seasons to really break through. Would love to see him have a good run in a tournament though and it could well happen next season.

Michael White did well enough at the worlds but I am unconvinced by him. I don't think he'll do any better than a quarter final next term - but that's not bad, is it?

Jack Lisowski disappointed at this year's worlds but he was playing the eventual finalist Barry Hawkins in the first round. I think he could make a semi-final this year, maybe even better.

Judd Trump (are we allowed to pick established players?) was completely outplayed by O'Sullivan in the semi of the worlds but I think he will be the player to beat next season, assuming O'Sullivan doesn't bother to play too many tournaments.

Postby Roland

Ha yeah pick any players you want. It's personal preference who you keep an eye on. Obviously everyone will be keeping an eye on Ronnie to see how he gets on in the events he plays.

I forgot Kyren! Kyren is back on tour after a couple of frustrating seasons off, I know he thought he was ready to push on but was forced into the backwards step of dropping off tour which after the initial disappointment has made him hungrier and more determined. I'm looking forward to his progress because he is well up for it and well capable of doing well. I think of all those on the first year of their 2 year card this time around, he is as likely as anyone to hit the ground running.

Postby roy142857

Some of the players already mentioned I'll be watching for - Cao Yupeng, Ben Woollaston, Thepchaiya Un-Nooh all seem about to 'kick on'. Pankaj Advani (love the cue ball control). Hossien Vafaei Ayouri (hope they solve his Visa problem).

I'll also watch for:

Rod Lawler - was 2012/13 just a one off, or can he keep up the slow but attacking play, or will he revert to the kind of negative play that lost him his tour place?

Less has been said about Chen Zhe than some of the other Chinese players, but he seems to be slowly but surely improving, could be his break out year ...

Gary Wilson - really impressive in the amateur ranks, I think he's the best placed to establish himself early in the Pros

Stuart Carrington is back on the Pro Tour, I think he understands now what is needed to 'make it', looking forward to seeing how he does.

Alexander Ursenbacher - to be honest, I think he's more in Q School for experience than expecting to get through (he's 16), but someday soon we'll have a Swiss Pro on the Tour, think he'll take a while to find his feet but I think a substantial talent like Luca Brecel. Whether he's in the Pros or a year or three more in the amateur ranks, I'll be keeping an eye on him.

Postby Muppet147

Jewell wrote:I am looking forward to watching Ronnie O'Sullivan play, even if it is only at the Crucible.

And that's about it really.

Well, I hope he plays a few tournaments this season. He was magic at the world championships. Would be good to see him play in the UK and the Masters.

Postby vodkadiet

Muppet147 wrote:
Jewell wrote:I am looking forward to watching Ronnie O'Sullivan play, even if it is only at the Crucible.

Well, I hope he plays a few tournaments this season. He was magic at the world championships. Would be good to see him play in the UK and the Masters.

Wiiliam Hill are giving money away. they are offering 1/2 O'Sullivan playing at next year's World Championship. Unless he is dead, he will be there.

As for the other players, no one stands out. I am not as close to the action as I was years ago.Probably a few of the Chinese will kick on.

1/2 O'Sullivan to play at The Crucible. Buying money.

<ok>

Postby DavieMac

I hope Maflin can make a move this season. Watched the odd game here and there of him last season and he can play. Makes a mess of it when he should win but he plays nice stuff.

Postby vodkadiet

DavieMac wrote:Vodka, I am pretty sure the odds of him playing next year are shorter than 1/2.

If you are handing out these odds I'll put 500 bucks on it and you'll owe me?

Go to the William Hill website, and you can place as much as you want on it. I have had a hefty sum on.

Postby AC or LT?

Dechawat Poomjaeng - will win a ranker next season.

Peter Ebdon - will win two rankers next season.

Sam Baird - he might have floppied at the crucible but he'll do better next season, perhaps a second round.

Luca Brecel - it's his season to make a mark.

David Gray - should get through Q School with little effort and'll hopefully have a good season next year.

Michael White - can he build on his good crucible run next season?

Postby Andre147

AC or LT? wrote:Dechawat Poomjaeng - will win a ranker next season.

Sam Baird - he might have floppied at the crucible but he'll do better next season, perhaps a second round.

David Gray - should get through Q School with little effort and'll hopefully have a good season next year.

rofl rofl You have been living on Mars apparently.. though on Ebdon's case he sometimes does tend to have a good run here and there, but win 2 rankers rofl

Postby Andre147

Muppet147 wrote:

He has said it himself that he would like to play in some smaller ptc events uk based, and then maybe Welsh Open, German Masters, Uk Champs and said one good thing of becoming World Champ is that he will get a wildcard for the Masters, so might play in that event too..

But I don't take anything he says for granted as he changes his mind from one second to the other :wave: :dizzy: :wave:

Postby Casey

Jack Lisowski - for me he is the biggest 'new danger' for the other players. He got to a PTC final and only lost out 4-3 to Maguire and was one ball away from getting to the QF of the PTC grand finals!

I thought at the time of his first round Crucible exit that it was a bad result, but looking back Hawkings wasn't bad at all ;)

Hawkings - I think he will push on further than the likes of Carter did after he reached his first final. Barry got through by playing well, he will be confident and will stand of chance of winning a major next year.

Bracel - most has already been said but he will start to improve much quicker under the 128 system.

Postby Wildey

im Looking forward to see how the new Tour Pros get on Rod Lawler proved you can climb up the Rankings in to the Top 64 with a tier system if you good enough so i am looking for someone to come out of the Pack and shine to some extent.

Postby SnookerFan

buck me, imagine that. He'll be clapping himself for months afterwards.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:

rofl rofl You have been living on Mars apparently.. though on Ebdon's case he sometimes does tend to have a good run here and there, but win 2 rankers

AC or LT is the strangest poster here on Snooker Island. Even stranger than SnookerFan.

He also said Ken Doherty was a better player than Mark Williams. He had multiple complete breakdowns insulting everyone and everything during the World Championship.

Way to go, AC or LT :wave: