Post a reply

Problem with the Money Ranking List

Postby fridge46

Hi,

I'm a multibillionaire with far more money than sense. But I want to make a few more billion. With snooker growing and growing and the switch a money ranking list, I am going to set up a snooker event, sponsored by one of my companies. Below is the proposed tournament:

Name: WORLD MASTERS
Dates: 2 weeks at the end of October
Entrants: 256 (made up of the 128 Main Tour players, topped up with amateurs from various order-of-merits, national/continental rankings and national/continental champions)
Format: Straight Knockout, each round best-of-9 (except final, best-of-19). This requires 8 rounds where the winner will play a maximum of 82 frames, winning 45 (compared to 137 for the crucible, winning 71). 8 tables, 3 sessions a day for the first 9 days; 4 tables, 3 sessions per day for days 10-11 (some L64 and L32). Day 12: 2 tables, 4 sessions (L16); Day 13: 2 tables, 3 sessions (QF and SF); Day 14: FINAL
Seedings: Top 64 ranked players seeded appropriately (ie seeds 1-2 to meet in final; 1-4 to meet in SF; 1-8 to meet in QF; etc.....; remaining 192 placed in the draw at random)

PRIZE MONEY:
Winner: £450,000
Runner-up: £225,000
SF loser: £110,000 (£220,000)
QF loser: £55,000 (£220,000)
L16 loser: £25,000 (£200,000)
L32 loser: £15,000 (£240,000)
L64 loser: £7,000 (£224,000)
L128 loser: £3,500 (£224,000)
L256 loser: £0
TOTAL: £2,003,000 NOTE: All players/officials/referees flights, transfers, accommodation and meals will be paid for by the sponsor.

The event will be screened live on the internet, for free. All tickets will be free, but a deposit is required. Money will be refunded at the end of the session/day the ticket is valid for.

So, back to the post title.... The winner of this single event would be placed 3rd on the Money Ranking List released today. Would World Snooker allow such an event to take place? Would they reject £2,000,000 prize money to protect the World Championships? Given that no player will lose money, all his/her flights, meals and hotel costs will be paid for... who would turn down the opportunity to make almost half a million pounds?!

This is just a bit of fun, I know this scenario would never happen... well.... except when I have a couple of billion in the bank (I'm working on it)... your thoughts?

Re: Problem with the Money Ranking List

Postby Skullman

I think Barry Hearn would be the type to say go for it, and either ask Betfair or whoever is next year's sponsor to either put up more cash or risk their event being second place in terms of ranking.

Of course in terms of prestige, I'm sure no one would think that this event is better than the Worlds, just because it gives more points/worth more on a ranking list. The IC and UK are given equal points on the points system, but I doubt any one's saying they're equal in terms of prestige.

Postby Roland

If it's sanctioned by World Snooker then it will count toward the money list. If it's not then players would be in breech of the players contract if they take part in a non-sanctioned event which is televised or streamed, especially if it clashes with an officially sanctioned event.

Postby Witz78

What hotel in Miami do you own mate? :D

I was there last year on vacation, if its on Ocean Drive or Collins Avenue on South Beach count me in bro, ill be on the first plane across there for this event !!

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:
Sonny wrote:If it's sanctioned by World Snooker then it will count toward the money list. If it's not then players would be in breech of the players contract if they take part in a non-sanctioned event which is televised or streamed, especially if it clashes with an officially sanctioned event.

Imagine what an uproar there'd be if a proposal like this was put forward and it failed to get sanctioned.

It's one of the problems that come with one man basically owning the sport.

Mate the Problems snooker has encountered for years that culminated with a handful of tournaments was because one man wasent Running the sport.

it was ridiculous where a Governing Body was afraid of doing whats best for the sport because Players that was concerned about No 1 had the power to vote them out at a AGM.....it left snooker in limbo and going absolutely nowhere.