Post a reply

Should Reanne Evans be invited to the Premier League?

Postby N_Castle07

I've just been reading on Snookerbacker.com regarding Reanne Evans winning the ladies World Title and picking up only £1000. As snookerbacker pointed out Fisher played in the Premier League and managed to beat Foulds. I think if Hearn was to place Reanne Evans in the Premier League it would be interesting to watch and would give her the chance to earn some money. Whats your thoughts on this?

Re: Should Reanne Evans be invited to the Premier League?

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

N_Castle07 wrote:I've just been reading on Snookerbacker.com regarding Reanne Evans winning the ladies World Title and picking up only £1000. As snookerbacker pointed out Fisher played in the Premier League and managed to beat Foulds. I think if Hearn was to place Reanne Evans in the Premier League it would be interesting to watch and would give her the chance to earn some money. Whats your thoughts on this?

I've heard worse suggestions. From an exposure perspective of the women's game, I think its a great idea. Barry Hearn used to manage Allison Fisher, so it may not be to far from his thoughts.

It would be good to see, like it. <ok>

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Sonny wrote:Not sure about Premier League but certainly Championships League and other invitational events.

Even that, for sure. Again, it will give the Ladies game exposure & also give other Lady players something to aspire too. Can't hurt.

Postby N_Castle07

Sonny wrote:Not sure about Premier League but certainly Championships League and other invitational events.

On second thoughts that would be much better i would like to see her in the championship League.

Postby GJ

case_master wc wrote:

Not sure what would happen if she were drew in the same group as Mark :?

<laugh> rofl

Postby Smart

my standard response would be that those that are good enough should play at the top 'by right' - earned thru ranking points.....

However, looking at the bigger picture......

How many new girls, ladies or women might become players or fans by seeing a lady at a tournament......?

It would have to be a positive way to grow the game.

So special circumstances here - I say YES let her in as a wildcard type entry.

Postby GJ

Monique wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:championship league or premier league - yes

world open or any other ranking event - no chance

why not? There will be 32 amateurs in the World Open. Why not her amongst them?

32 amateurs :roll:

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:

why not? There will be 32 amateurs in the World Open. Why not her amongst them?

Any idea on how the armatures will be picked?

Postby Roland

Reanne will definitely get a spot in Hearn's World Open if it happens. Don't forget this is the man who brought Anastasia into the PDC darts circuit and she can compete with the men. Reanne and Anastasia are obviously the outstanding females in their chosen sport so an exception should be made for them to allow them the chance to show what they're capable of against the best male players.

Postby SnookerFan

I don't see why not.

We're not talking about a ranking event whereby inviting somebody in at expense of somebody else could effect a person's season unjustly. The Premier League has always been an exhibition event whereby some entrants are there due to their ability to pull a crowd rather then anything else. Though it may sound patronising, I think having a female enter would create an interest in the Premier League. Not because a woman being able to play snooker is a novel idea. More the fact that you know it happens, but you rarely see it televised. I'd watch at least a couple of her games to see how good she really is. And there'd be newspapers and sports results that'd want to make a big deal out of it. It'd bring in publicity to snooker, it'd make me watch the Premier League more regularly, despite not usually being a big fan of it. It'd help publicise the womens game, and would maybe encourage other women to participate. Where are the losses really?

It depends how Reanne feels about it. I've never really seen her play. Is she any good? Would she be able to do herself justice? If she turned up and got mullered every week, it would be embarrassing for her, and may not be the most beneficial thing for her or the sport. And there is a bit of a risk of it becoming a bit patronising; "Look everyone, she's a woman! Isn't that something special?" If she feels it'd be something she'd like to do though, I think there's a lot of benefits.

Postby Wildey

Amataurs is invited in to the World Open i think theres a case of giving the spot to the current womans World Champ at the very least.