Post a reply

Do you believe Ronnie missed the black on purpose?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes : 11

Ronnie O'Sullivan missed black

Postby SnookerFan

I hope this hasn't been seen as a subject we're all bored of but I have just been reading the comments on 606 on a slow day at work and I was curious.

On missing the match, I re-watched the last black on You Tube, and there were a lot of comments; "I am 100% convinced he missed on purpose." I personally can't see why they would think this. It's not the most difficult shot I have ever seen, but I don't particularly think it was perfect position either. I mean, the guy is losing a match, needs to pot a black to stay in the game, there is always going to be pressure on that shot. Though not often, you do see player's miss a black off it's spot under extreme pressure.

My question is this. Do you believe Ronnie missed deliberately. And if so, why. Because I for one have seen no evidence to suggest he did. Or am I missing something in being at work whilst the match was on.

Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan missed black

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

If you look at his positional shot from blue to pink just before that, playing it with running side against the natural angle, that, there & then, will tell you his head was not functioning as it should have been. <ok>

Postby Wildey

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:If you look at his positional shot from blue to pink just before that, playing it with running side against the natural angle, that, there & then, will tell you his head was not functioning as it should have been. <ok>

but there is another way to look at it what if he was trying to play the shots wrong so he missed but ended up straight on the black.

however having watched that black just now 5 or 6 times i dont think he missed it on perpose i think he dragged it in and put unwanted side on it that dragged it left and hit the knuckle question is why drag it why not roll it in ...answer as john sais he was not thinking straight.

Postby Smart

I voted yes.

The match was played with a very laisa fare attitude .... typified by the blue, pink and black being played in exhibition fashion.

I think he played the way he likes to play and be seen in China, just that it was convenient that he could do this and get home early too.

2 birds with 1 stone.

Postby SnookerFan

Interesting nobody on here seems to think it now. Directly after it happened, I could've sworn some people were on here saying they thought he did. I thought it was odd at the time.

I sometimes just get curious about things, and wondered for what reason anybody would even think such a thing really. Like Sonny I would think the idea was absurd.

Postby GJ

i agree with smart it was deliberate

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Interesting nobody on here seems to think it now. Directly after it happened, I could've sworn some people were on here saying they thought he did. I thought it was odd at the time.

I sometimes just get curious about things, and wondered for what reason anybody would even think such a thing really. Like Sonny I would think the idea was absurd.

i defanatly think he didnt give a toss if he won or not and possibly he was changing his opinion from shot to shot.

it was not a match played up to a proffesional standards or work ethick that goes without saying.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Interesting nobody on here seems to think it now. Directly after it happened, I could've sworn some people were on here saying they thought he did. I thought it was odd at the time.

i defanatly think he didnt give a toss if he won or not and possibly he was changing his opinion from shot to shot.

it was not a match played up to a proffesional standards or work ethick that goes without saying.

No, but that wouldn't be the first time Ronnie had played to that stadard in a tournament. He'd turn up and can't be bothered. I hate that he does it, but it's barely big news with Ronnie. Ronnie not being up for a match, and not giving it his full concentration is different from him turnin up with the deliberate attempt to lose. Or even going down on a shot and making a different attempt to miss.

Postby Tubberlad

GJ, something I'd like to ask. I'm not trying to be smart with you or anything, I'm just curious.

I think you were right to report O'Sullivan, don't get me wrong. What I'm wondering is whether it was down to genuine concern or just dislike for the man. Matthew Selt, one of your favourite players, was embroiled in a bit of a match-fixing problem himself, did you report him to World Snooker when you heard the revelations?

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:GJ, something I'd like to ask. I'm not trying to be smart with you or anything, I'm just curious.

I think you were right to report O'Sullivan, don't get me wrong. What I'm wondering is whether it was down to genuine concern or just dislike for the man. Matthew Selt, one of your favourite players, was embroiled in a bit of a match-fixing problem himself, did you report him to World Snooker when you heard the revelations?

good question ?

Postby GJ

thetubberlad wrote:GJ, something I'd like to ask. I'm not trying to be smart with you or anything, I'm just curious.

at that stage i wasnt even aware of who selty was a he was only on PIOS

world snooker did an investigation on him so i think its only fair they investigate allegations of fixing if its suspected a player has done wrong

In truth if i was convinced any of my favs were involved in fixing i would expect them to be handed the appropriate punishment

Postby GJ

spot on case hann did wrong and got the punishment he deserved

Postby Tubberlad

case_master wc wrote:To be fair to GJ he has always been open with his criticism of Hann

Yep, that's fair enough. As I was saying, I wasn't trying to be smart about it, was just curious...and GJ's response was on the ball.

Postby Wildey

snookerbacker wrote:Whilst I think the black was very dubious, the assumption that he wanted to get home early is actually wrong. He travelled back two days later and not immediately after the match.

:idea:

yes but there is this idea doing the rounds he actually thought his flight was a day earlier than it actually was.

Postby N_Castle07

Did Hearn not say that from now on players can choose to opt out of any event they please to? If this is the case I really can't see Ronnie traveling to play in this new europe tour.

Postby Monique

N_Castle07 wrote:Did Hearn not say that from now on players can choose to opt out of any event they please to? If this is the case I really can't see Ronnie traveling to play in this new europe tour.

Why? Ronnie has already made 5 exhibitions in Europe this season (in Germany and Austria), he's also got 2 more scheduled in June.
China is very demanding. The time difference is huge and the amount of promo work expected from the top players is unreal and above all it's far too close to the Crucible.
See here http://www.sportinglife.com/snooker/new ... tlead.html Maguire's thoughts ahead of it.
Ronnie has won the Shanghai Masters in September, he was also runner up to it the previous season. He won the China Open twice when it was held in December, not just before the Crucible. So it's not that he never plays well in China or does not care.

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:
Bourne wrote:Just voted ... wtf is wrong with 50% of this forum rofl

Which way did you vote, sir?

Non on purpose.