Post a reply

Should we forget the Positives?

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

I'm talking about our New Chairman.

I'll be honest, my train of thought in writing this article, has mostly come from 606. I'll reply in kind, trust me. To this....Bank Hold up! http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A66169605

On the other end, we have here we have a Snooker Forum, members who either attend Snooker events, or show inspiring aspirations for the game.

I work all day long, as we all do, some of us from the neck down, some of us from the neck up. We all work. However, I've got a problem, I genuinely do, with people who keep on trying to find problems in our game. As said, whether neck up, or neck down, if you look hard enough at anything, you'll find a problem. A given, night follows day, day follow night, the lot.

We've our World Championships coming up in wild hours, & the geezer forgets, how bad is that???? Why the negativity? I don't get it. Tell me one Sporting business that hasn't had black clouds over it ever or even recently, or whatever. We Love the game, it kicks, with style,

Watch that rubbish your kicking nui-sense it doesn't come flying back up at you in the wind & cover you in it, if it hasn't already. I'm buzzing about the World Championships coming up, we've even got the Masters thrown in again as a warm up. Concentrate on the Positives, Please.

They'll be 32 players going to bed & waking up too Snooker over the next wild hours. It's coming, its on its way. <ok>

As a warm down with humour.

New song & beat for the snookerbacker fella:

"Kids, Stop leaving our game alone, :dance:

All in all your justa'.........." :dance:

Re: Should we forget the Positives?

Postby Tubberlad

I think everybody on this forum loves snooker, that can't be denied, and thankfully everyone here is willing to give Hearn a chance, which is fantastic.

The buzz for this year's Worlds is so much greater than it has been in recent years, and how refreshing is that? Going into the Worlds last year, the game was in a depressing state, but credit where credit is due, O'Sullivan's comments at the Masters really opened peoples eyes. And he was right.

Now we have a sport with real potential, and a man with great enthusiasm and a proven track record. Really looking forward to the Worlds and the seasons ahead...

John, like you, I hate negativity in any walk of life. I know myself, negativity gets you nowhere, show some positivity and the potential is endless. :clap: that's the first advice I'd give anyone

thetubberlad wrote:I think everybody on this forum loves snooker, that can't be denied, and thankfully everyone here is willing to give Hearn a chance, which is fantastic.

The buzz for this year's Worlds is so much greater than it has been in recent years, and how refreshing is that? Going into the Worlds last year, the game was in a depressing state, but credit where credit is due, O'Sullivan's comments at the Masters really opened peoples eyes. And he was right.

Now we have a sport with real potential, and a man with great enthusiasm and a proven track record. Really looking forward to the Worlds and the seasons ahead...

John, like you, I hate negativity in any walk of life. I know myself, negativity gets you nowhere, show some positivity and the potential is endless. :clap: that's the first advice I'd give anyone

Its obviously cool & the gang your end tuuber. Looking forward to looking at the bright green Golf Masters over the next 4 days I hope. Warm up.....Style :dance:

Tell me you remember what leewestword1 done on the Golf 606, it was quality. He ain't been seen since. <laugh> Bless Him, genuine. Tell me quick if you know or not (take the leg of the Lady), I'd love to share what leewestwood1 done. Quality. <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

Not a big golf fan John to be honest, but do love the Masters, who doesn't? And that legend Tiger Woods ;) used to find him quite boring, but feel a certain affinity with him now <laugh>

Yup, heard all about Lee Westwood, he promised to do a couple of push ups for the camera just to prove it really was him on 606 <ok> legend :santa:

Postby Wildey

John theres a lot right in our game but theres a hell of a lot wrong aswell in 2000 the WSA Promised the world and the Players Backed them 10 years on we in a worst position ok Money in the bank but players tweedling their thumbs all over the place what happens The Wsa gives them tournos to play and they dont turn up tournos scrapped.

they were badly organised with a poor structure and from a fans point extreamly boring and a nonetity.

snooker has a way forward here only idiots would turn it down.if there was a sunnier way out id agree but i dont see it i really dont.

the structure at the WSA is all wrong.we need change before it gets very stale and worthless and nobody would touch us with a barge poll.

nowhere ive seen hes concentrating on the top 32 he has said the main tour will not be less than 96 as it is now but with more Ranking tournaments and tapping in to europe.

thetubberlad wrote:Not a big golf fan John to be honest, but do love the Masters, who doesn't? And that legend Tiger Woods ;) used to find him quite boring, but feel a certain affinity with him now <laugh>

Yup, heard all about Lee Westwood, he promised to do a couple of push ups for the camera just to prove it really was him on 606 <ok> legend :santa:

>tippedcapemoticonhere<

wild, I'm gonna read this again, hold on......
wildJONESEYE wrote:John, theres a lot right in our game but, theres a hell of a lot wrong as well. In 2000 Hogmany yehyeh, the WSA Promised, the world, and, the Players Backed them 10 years on we in a worst position ok :chin: Money in the bank, but, players tweedling their thumbs all over the place what happens? The Wsa gives them tournos to play and they dont turn up, tournos scrapped. :scared:

They were badly organised, with a poor structure, and from a fans point extreamly boring and a nonetity. :chin:

Snooker, has a way forward, :clap: here, :huh: only......idiots <doh> <doh> would turn it down. If..... there was a sunnier way out id agree but i dont see it i really dont. :mood:

The structure at the WSA is all wrong :idea2: (Maybe, we should call them what we are? we need change <ok> before it gets very stale and worthless and nobody would touch us with a barge poll. :innocent:

Nowhere, ive seen, hes concentrating on the top 32, he has said the main tour will not be less than 96 as it is now but with more Ranking tournaments and tapping in to europe. Means what, more I would have thought. <ok>

Postby Roland

Absolutely John. And the main point about these people spouting negativity about Hearn is this:

They are not suggesting a viable alternative!

I'm afraid it's a very British trait to sit back and criticise and pick holes in something and generally be negative without coming up with an alternative plan. These people are everywhere, I have to deal with them in my line of work and they do my head in! So next time we see articles such as that one on 606, we need to ask the perpertrator "What do you think we should do then?", and if the answer isn't forthcoming or if it's not viable they need to be told "Shut up then!".

Postby Roland

I've just stoked the fire a little bit :innocent:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A66169605

Seriously though, still no viable alternatives. Moondan lives in his own little world where 606 is the center of internet snooker read by millions of fans and snooker is in fine fettle on the way up if only Hearn and Davis don't ruin it and send it down the gutter. I like moondan but I question his warped sense of reality sometimes.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I've just stoked the fire a little bit :innocent:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A66169605

Seriously though, still no viable alternatives. Moondan lives in his own little world where 606 is the center of internet snooker read by millions of fans and snooker is in fine fettle on the way up if only Hearn and Davis don't ruin it and send it down the gutter. I like moondan but I question his warped sense of reality sometimes.

a few weeks back i was sceptical as you was of barry's plans and after reading them and reading them i see the core of the sport wont change at all and there's not that many if any major changes to existing tournaments the change happens with more tournaments so no i do not see why they think players will be in clown costumes and fairy lights on balls.

Postby Tubberlad

StalinESQ wrote:Positivity: if you aim for the stars but fall just short, you will have done well........

The problem is many people have no aims in life whatsoever.

Love that comment Smart, and it's very true :)

I've just replied to Moondan, Frame and them on 606. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A66169605

Just having a look at the replies now....

Seen Moondan's comment, Re: Fresh air? Davis and Hearn????, more chance of finding a sweeter smell in the kasi. <laugh>

My initial reaction is to reply with "probably after you've finished in the kasi cos I can get a similar odour from your posts on this topic."

I'll have another look.....

Postby Wildey

ive just listened to the podcast and god i feel inspired with what he had to say .

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

wildJONESEYE wrote:ive just listened to the podcast and god i feel inspired with what he had to say .

The Welsh Open is certainly safe now, and heading back to Cardiff too.

Postby Wildey

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:ive just listened to the podcast and god i feel inspired with what he had to say .

what came through in that podcast was a drive to make tournaments different,improve them and give them their own identity...and not to rip them apart as whats been said on 606 lead by frame.

Postby Tubberlad

wildJONESEYE wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:

what came through in that podcast was a drive to make tournaments different,improve them and give them their own identity...and not to rip them apart as whats been said on 606 lead by frame.

Frame, Littlesense and Moondan I might add. Negativity breeds fear. Positivity breeds possibilities.

Postby Witz78

yeh i never had any doubts that Hearns interests would be for snookers best.

Wild, you are a stubborn beggar morst of the time youd be the first to admit but if you can change your mind full circle from being anti-Hearn to championing his cause, then the likes of Moondan etc need to take a look at themselves.

There heads are buried in the sand either through a refusal to see any sort of change, or through a loathing of Hearn. I trawled through that waffle on 606 there and its absolutely ridiculous, do they want snooker to die??

Im sure theres a few on here who disliked Hearn a few months ago but have suddenly realised he really can be the messiah for the sport.

No Hearn = No

Postby Tubberlad

Moondan is still living in the days of crucifixion. And that's exactly what's going to happen if Hearn isn't accepted. Wild, Sonny & GJ deserve credit for at least giving the man a chance, the three I've mentioned already are never happy with anything but codginess from what I can see.

Postby Wildey

for me hearn was a worry because of what he represents ie x factor culture however after reading and listening he will not go through the sport like a bulldozer ripping the heart out of it with 6 reds and shot clocks all over the shop.

so ive changed my opinion based on what ive seen written and said by him.

Postby Roland

moondan has a serious dislike of everything Steve Davis so it's not surprising he's taken the stance he has. However a lot of people are deluded if they think just because Hearn has suggested things that someone else could also do them but with fewer conditions. Don't forget how touted Rodney Walker was when he first got the job and look at how his time will be remembered, and how Hearn immediately bucked the trend within weeks of being in the job.

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:moondan has a serious dislike of everything Steve Davis so it's not surprising he's taken the stance he has. However a lot of people are deluded if they think just because Hearn has suggested things that someone else could also do them but with fewer conditions. Don't forget how touted Rodney Walker was when he first got the job and look at how his time will be remembered, and how Hearn immediately bucked the trend within weeks of being in the job.

Hearn got stuck in straight away, and showed some enthusiasm. As for Walker, what previous sporting experiences did he have? Was he involved in Rugby League or some sport I've no interest in? Did he do a much better job there?

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:moondan has a serious dislike of everything Steve Davis so it's not surprising he's taken the stance he has. However a lot of people are deluded if they think just because Hearn has suggested things that someone else could also do them but with fewer conditions. Don't forget how touted Rodney Walker was when he first got the job and look at how his time will be remembered, and how Hearn immediately bucked the trend within weeks of being in the job.

Many people could do it however a hell of a lot has failed as it is.

after listening to the Hearn interview i listened to Clive last summer and he said about the Altium deal that was a massive mistake and he doubted the chance would come again......Well people the Chance is Here are they going to cockerel this up aswell ???

Postby Witz78

thetubberlad wrote:

Hearn got stuck in straight away, and showed some enthusiasm. As for Walker, what previous sporting experiences did he have? Was he involved in Rugby League or some sport I've no interest in? Did he do a much better job there?

yeh and towards the end of his WPSBA reign he was brought in as a troubleshooter to save the Donington Racing Circuit from going bust and losing the British Grand Prix <doh>

Thats another fine mess youve got yourself into rofl

Postby Roland

OK guys I'm going to have to move this onto the post whoring section because it's straying from a decent topic but by all means carry this on. And yes I remember well moondans stance on O'Sullivan saying he was well in decline and wouldn't win another thing and it was before his resurgence which netted him several majors and World number 1 spots.

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:Was that Walker too? rofl
Look, I feel very strongly on this issue, and all I can say is Hearn deserves a chance, and is far more deserving than Walker was. Simple as that. If Hearn turns out to be a disaster, which I strongly doubt he will, I'll be the first to put my hands up and say 'I was wrong'. Thankfully, I think I'll be keeping my hands firmly by my sides if Hearn's excellent start is anything to go by.

It sure was the Plonker <doh>

Yep and every snooker fan AND PLAYER should feel strongly about this issue. Its a no-brainer from Ronnie down to the talented kids in the club aspiring to be a pro, Hearns vision ticks the boxes for everyone.

Those against it are just bitter and spineless.

How anyone could think snooker can afford to let someone with passion for the sport and a proven track record of success like Hearn walk away, being for the good of the sport is a total mystery?!?!?

Yep Witz, I think you're totally spot on with this <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:

Really?

I'm torn on this issue.

In one respect it's a shame because, despite Newport being a dump, I had good craic when I went. I enjoyed it. I thought the venue was pretty cool too in a slightly eccentric way, and met some interesting characters. I was disappointed it was so soon after the Masters this year, if it had been a month later I may have gone up and stayed again. I think sometimes snooker's appeal is that you can get the odd eccentric venue. I found Wembley, desptie having raucous crowds, has very little atmosphere as a venue. Walking around the venue, you don't feel like you are at a big tournament. People don't seem pumped in the same way they do at say The Crucible. Newport was a room upstairs from the swimming baths. I will always look back fondly on the one time I went to it. From the small, budget hotel, where they couldn't offer hot food but could tell me where the local curry house was, to the pub next door to Newport with an oddball assortment of Welsh people I met, it was good times.... And the appeal of thinking; "rubbish. I am watching snooker in a swimming baths..." <laugh> Maybe I'd feel the same way as I did if I went to Cardiff, but somehow I doubt it.

On saying that, World Snooker do need to get out of the mind-set of thinking that a small town close to a big city is a good option just because it may be a tad cheaper. For armchair watchers, it doesn't matter where the tournaments are held. But for people thinking of travelling, the majority would perhaps prefer to go to Cardiff then Newport, despite being relatively close geographically. Telford is a prime example. There's about 18 people that live there. It's a nowheresville, that happens to be just outside the secondary city. For the second biggest tournament in the sport, that somehow seems wrong. I never thought too much of the TIC as a venue either. (The same problem as the Masters has, I guess.) But if Barry Hearn wants to bring fans back, he needs to make tournaments in cities where there are lot of people. Where people might come on impulse, not because they are a hardcore fan and happen to know where the tournament is.

Postby Smart

<ok> good post S-fan with some good insight and valid points from the perspective of a venue-goer.

Not sure why but never went to Welsh Open but have been to Newport plenty with work....... perhaps that was what put me off it - knowing what the place was like.

I would love Reading and Preston back on the snooker map personally......