Post a reply

Getting....Back to Black

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Hi Guy's,

I've put together another article for Matt on his excellent website. Here is the link if anyone is interested in having a read about what motivated me to start playing again, how I'm getting on etc.....

http://prosnookerblog.com/2010/04/02/jo ... mment-5606

I don't know Sonny if your interested in having something like what I've wrote on the attached article? Something along the lines of the thread you put together the other day of you practicing. I enjoy reading & watching these types of things as much as I do following the Pro's. I'll leave it to you to decide.

Have a read anyway guy's & leave your thoughts if you have any.

Keep Smiling,

John McBride

Re: Getting....Back to Black

Postby gallantrabbit

John I love the angle you're coming from.
I have played in the last 12 years that I've been here in Brazil, but only on 10 foot tables so when I go back to England the love affair starts over when I walk into any club and see the greater expanse of baize again.
I've just been back to England and spent a few hours in the Nags Head Holloway again. Of course few if any of the old faces are about, all of them have cues hidden away or dusted over like you.
I'm delighted at Barry Hearn's revolution if it comes off (ie if the players have their heads screwed on and vote for it) and I'm hoping that some of the tour events go back to the clubs and get a little interest back to them again. Nags Head was a sad sight as it's closing down end of the year if no 'snooker fanatic' buys up the lease. The only busy night is texas hold'em nights. If you pick up your cue to play people look at you like you're out of date..
I did play a few times though and managed a 62 break in winning a best of five for the lights, so my game is still there or thereabouts, just want places to play when I do get back to England temporarily or permanently.
The love and addiction to snooker have never died in me. Still can't believe you hid your talent for 14 years, especially with the supportive wife you have.
Be lucky.

Cool gallant. Always a pleasure....

Yeah, got the closing down bad buzz full on mate. I'm hoping, things turn out that they'll be one club open up in each area/district. How far apart they are remains to be seen.

The Over 40's this part of the pond is kicking, so is Snooker in general. I've been asked if I'd like to get involved with the Committee. I've told them I'll go to a meeting, I want to see what's in the pot & what plans they have for what 'there' going to do with the pot & have a listen, first. You know yourself.

There are a couple of young guns over here who are playing well, very well mate. Jason Devenay being one of them. He can kick it. I want to make sure players like him get their hands held while moving through the ranks. You know how mad your nut works playing this game. Even now, when I come home from playing in a flyer, or a comp, 2 hours later my minds still racing. Them bits are the bits that need looking after, tho I'm only going by what I know. As you do....

Just for a chuckle, & I'll know you'll get this. I was playing a young prodigy of a good player over here in my last comp. Had a look at him, he was made of the automatic gear, same routine, approaching shots etc... Anyway, I was 2-0 up in a best of 5, on a 40 odd when it came down to match ball pink in middle, all colours on the spots, as I prefer pinks in middle as opposed to half ball blacks, find them easier for some reason, anyway, the pink is bang in front of me & I said something I never, ever, ever religiously say to myself, being, "Match ball Johnboy, knock it in". I'm down on the shot & I'm asking myself, why the buck did I say that, am I getting flash or too comfortable or something? I missed it. <laugh>

He got down, started potting, played blue to pink terribly, left the black safe, & I hammered it in. <laugh> We can't be missing any frame/match balls now can we. <ok> We'd have to start reading the Bible or letting people we don't know in our front doors wouldn't we if we did.

Great to be back playing gallant, genuine.

Postby gallantrabbit

I agree with you mate, I love to help the youngsters along if they`re interested. Is nice to win matches off them sometimes though. Experience counts!
I`ve been out of action and unaable to play for a month but tomorrow I`m back to work and will get playing again hopefully this week.
Glad you``re enjoying yourseelf mate as I will start to again.
Be lucky.

gallantrabbit wrote:I agree with you mate, I love to help the youngsters along if they`re interested. Is nice to win matches off them sometimes though. Experience counts!
I`ve been out of action and unaable to play for a month but tomorrow I`m back to work and will get playing again hopefully this week.
Glad you``re enjoying yourseelf mate as I will start to again.
Be lucky.

:chin:

<laugh>

:dance:

20 to 2 style <ok>

thetubberlad wrote:Nice article John, great to hear you still have the passion for the game <ok>

Postby gallantrabbit

Like this new smiley. What is it "giving it plenty?"

Good job you're hidden away in Ireland John and me out here else I'd be charging the pair of us with dragging up old faces complete with dusty cues ;)

gallantrabbit wrote:Like this new smiley. What is it "giving it plenty?"

Good job you're hidden away in Ireland John and me out here else I'd be charging the pair of us with dragging up old faces complete with dusty cues ;)

Giving it plenty has gotta' be close mate. <laugh> Yeah, 'Larging' it style geezer. <ok>

I was out playing tonight, 5 hours. 5 bucking hours I was at it for. Doing the line up, & I thought of Sonny's thread. I started thinking...... :chin:

So I said to him, "Daniel, (the fella who works in the club I've started playing in). Have you got a video or a camera, or something to record me playing on?" "Yeah", the boyo said, good'un he is, so I said "come on then, record me". "Yeah OK", young Daniel replies. So I start....

"Hello SnookerFanatic, McBride here, or John From London Town, whatever you prefer. I'm here in Navan Snooker Club, Daniel is gonna' film me doing the line up, here goes". I'm on 108, the last red by the blue, smash it in threw Green & Brown, play for the blue, if you end up on the pink, all the better, 142 in the hood. The door buzzer goes". "Hold on John" says young Daniel, let me get that. So off he goes, Bless Him. "Have you paused that Dan" I says to him when he comes back. "No, its in another part". "What does that mean", says me already explaining that I'm gonna' post it on here. "It will be in 2 parts", says Daniel. "Can we get it in one" I ask? "Yeah, no problem John, lets start again" says Daniel. I'm conscious of me Pink for the 142 so I say, "all right then, lets do it". I start again, I'm on 61 this time, on the red below the pink, buzzer goes. "Can you pause that Daniel" I ask again? as he walks away. "Sorry John, I have to stop it & it will be in 2 parts." young Daniel replies. I start again, on 90, 3 reds left, 2 beside the blue, one in between Pink & Blue, I'm right behind it, & the door buzzer goes again. This time its Cazz, there changing shifts, <laugh> Bless them both. <ok> Cazz ain't got a video phone. Daniel had to shoot off as he had to catch his Bus, but said he'll be up for recording me anytime. I explained to him earlier about this place, he smilied. I'll get him to join up here too. He works in the Snooker Club all day long, some nights too, & is also the dealer in the BIG games. Sound Bloke. <ok>

What will I do, next time I play & Daniel records me playing, will I put it up on here anyway or is anyone interested? I genuinely appreciate that not everyone plays on here, but I love playing the game too. My Son Loves playing Golf but can't stand watching it. I'll record the missed balls too, no issue, might do me some good? :huh2:

Postby Roland

Yeah definitely put them up here. As for your 142 it doesn't matter if it's in 2 parts, get it uploaded! We'll have to start a craze of posters putting up their practice footage.

Postby gallantrabbit

Yeah definitely like this one John. Pop the 142 up here then give it some of this <laugh> sweet.
I`d love to see it mate, often thought it would be nice to record practice, on one of me better days you understand ;)
Think I`m going to start calling you Hearny as the enthusiasm is shining through. Love it.
5 hours is a yesteryear session mate, like it.
I still haven`t got back on the table yet but can`t wait to.
Be lucky.
Sonny would be nice to encourage other members to get video stuff up. And not Jimmy White happen to be cameras about 155 breaks...genuine stuff.