Post a reply

Tournament formats ?

Postby GJ

I think this could work.

The majors remain untouched.

But the other ranking events schedule will be different.

So instead of 128 players playing in 1 event at 1 venue , there are 2 or 3 different events and you would get some big names in each one like you get in tennis tournaments outside of the majors.

There would be entry lists and they would be announced 6 weeks prior to the tournaments.

Discuss .......

Re: Tournament formats ?

Postby Witz78

dont think were quite at that stage yet mate

thats running before we can walk

were soon gonna be at the stage where theres an event every week of the year on though and with the money rankings and flat 128 set up, players are free to pick and choose what ones they play in, so the smaller ones become more like challenger events with the bulk of the big names skipping them, similar to the way tennis is.

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:dont think were quite at that stage yet mate

thats running before we can walk

were soon gonna be at the stage where theres an event every week of the year on though and with the money rankings and flat 128 set up, players are free to pick and choose what ones they play in, so the smaller ones become more like challenger events with the bulk of the big names skipping them, similar to the way tennis is.

fair enough , but i think long term tennis layout is a great model for snooker to apsire to though

Postby Wildey

According to Tweets by Matt of Pro Snooker Blog theres a new Event next November the Champions of Champions. Probably replacing the PL and will be on Free to air TV and played at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry

23 Frame Final with 4 Groups No intervals , or mid-frame breaks. No shot clocks due to the events prestige.

and also talks are continuing regarding a Ranking Event in India.

Postby GJ

wild

major champions only ?

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:wild

major champions only ?

if there's 4 groups with a minimum of 4 per group that's 16 players minimum.

date of the new event is tuesday 19th- sunday 24th November

Postby GJ

cheers mate

itv 4 i assume ????????

Postby SnookerFan

“It’s going to start on the Tuesday, finish on the Sunday and it will shock a lot of purists that I am going back to a slightly longer format rather than a shorter format. So you see the one thing about Barry Hearn, totally unpredictable! It’s not going to be a one frame shoot out, the final I think is going to be over 23 frames, going to go back to the old school because the Champion of Champions is the crème de la crème.”

Sounds good. <ok>

Postby GJ

wild

so 8 out of 11 events next season no quallies

what evens have quallies

Postby Wildey

so 8 out of 11 events next season no quallies

what evens have quallies

there are Qualifiers to be played but in 8 events all 128 players has to win 1 match to get to a venue in china and Germany but in UK and Welsh all 128 will be at the venue.

in Australia, Shanghai and The World Championship there will be a tier Qualifying similar to this year with the Top 16 seeded through to the Venue in Bendigo, Shanghai and sheffield.

Postby GJ

ok cheers

Re: World Championship (Mon 29th of April) Last 16 Discussio

Postby snooky147

Sonny wrote:Read what Bazza has to say:

http://www.prosnookerblog.com/2013/04/2 ... dia-close/

Good news about another tournament, but Hearn's comments on burn out and what he EXPECTS from players with regard to health and mental health is nothing short of condescending marmite. I honestly do think he is touched in the head, there's no other reason for spouting that rubbish.

Postby ttol

snooky147 wrote:
Sonny wrote:Read what Bazza has to say:

http://www.prosnookerblog.com/2013/04/2 ... dia-close/

Good news about another tournament, but Hearn's comments on burn out and what he EXPECTS from players with regard to health and mental health is nothing short of condescending marmite. I honestly do think he is touched in the head, there's no other reason for spouting that rubbish.

He's nuts, any point against his way or complaint is dismissed in a totally blinkered way.

Postby Lucky

GJ wrote:Hearn does go to far at times and gets to big for his boots as well

He'd do better to keep his mouth shut on occasion. It seems to me he goes out of his way to alienate and keep the players down trodden. I've said it before, if he keeps on treating the players like his toys, there will be a revolt <ok>

Postby PLtheRef

Wild WC wrote:According to Tweets by Matt of Pro Snooker Blog theres a new Event next November the Champions of Champions. Probably replacing the PL and will be on Free to air TV and played at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry

23 Frame Final with 4 Groups No intervals , or mid-frame breaks. No shot clocks due to the events prestige.

and also talks are continuing regarding a Ranking Event in India.

Didn't BH also say last year that the International Final was going to be the best of 21 frames? and that happened to be the best of 19 frames in the final. I can see the same happening here. I mean, does having a 21 frame or 23 frame final make it more valuable than the UK's? Also, I think 21 is the most you're going to fit in a day.

Personally I can see it being a 9 for Groups, 11 For Semis and 19 for the Final.

It's a great idea though, and I'm looking forward to it

Postby vodkadiet

I think it is time to shorten the World Championship.

I would prefer to just have the 8 top players of the season playing in longer frame matches, all on a one table set up.

Days 1-4: Best of 25 frame matches(one match per day). Sessions starting at 10am(11 frames), 5.30pm(14 frames).

Day 5: Rest day

Days: 6 and 7: Best of 25 frame matches(one match per day). Sessions starting at 10am(11 frames), 5.30pm(14 frames).

Days 8 and 9: Rest days

Days 10 and 11: Best of 35 Frames: 3 sessions; Day 1 of Final: 2pm (12 frames), Day 2 of final: 11am(10 frames), 6pm(13 frames).

This will guarantee the best players in the world being on snooker's biggest stage, it will mean players avoid this ridiculous scenario now where they don't play just one match, then have a week off, and then have to play every day for 10 days. It will also be better from a spectator point of view, as specators won't be fatigued come the final. It will also increase the importance of every event in the calendar as players seek that top 8 ranking.

Postby Wildey

Lucky wrote:

He'd do better to keep his mouth shut on occasion. It seems to me he goes out of his way to alienate and keep the players down trodden. I've said it before, if he keeps on treating the players like his toys, there will be a revolt <ok>

what revolt mate

exactly what tournaments or money will these players that revolt play for? rofl rofl

he has them by their short and curlies

Postby snooky147

Witz78 wrote:100% agree with EVERYTHING Hearn says there

like it or lump it

quit the moaning

survival of the fittest as he says

get on with it

I totally knew you would agree with that ass. Btw, I dont disagree, I do disagree with his way of saying it. He is an arrogant ****** that I would personally like to see taken down a peg or two.

Postby GJ

witz

it isnt survival of the fittest though

ronnie could keep coming back each year and win worlds

how is that fair on the others who are done in after 100 matches prior to worlds each season

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:witz

how is that fair on the others who are done in after 100 matches prior to worlds each season

that doesn't say much about 1) their ability and 2) your confident in their ability.

Postby Witz78

all successful businessmen have massive egos and do what they want, thats how they get to where they are. Look at Donald Trump, Rupert Murdoch etc. They are all unlikable characters to most people but they make no apologies for doing things there way.

Postby Witz78

snooky147 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:100% agree with EVERYTHING Hearn says there

like it or lump it

quit the moaning

survival of the fittest as he says

get on with it

I totally knew you would agree with that ass. Btw, I dont disagree, I do disagree with his way of saying it. He is an arrogant ****** that I would personally like to see taken down a peg or two.

If it wasnt for "that ass" Graeme and all the other pros knocked out of the Worlds already, would be sitting twiddling their thumbs for 5 months now without earning a penny.

Dont bite the hand that feed you <ok>

Postby GJ

wild

i have full confidence in robbo you know fine well

But ronnie has shown he can just comeback as if he hasnt been away and will be fresh a a daisy for each worlds

The others will have played 90/100 mathces

that isnt a level playing field mate and you know it

Postby GJ

wild and witx

Also look at tennis say federer won aussie open slam and took the rest of the year off

He wouldnt be allowed to defend it as he would be low in the rankings

Postby vodkadiet

i have full confidence in robbo you know fine well

But ronnie has shown he can just comeback as if he hasnt been away and will be fresh a a daisy for each worlds

The others will have played 90/100 mathces

that isnt a level playing field mate and you know it

I think the fatigue factor is exaggerated. Top players have lost because they couldn't handle the pressure.

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:witz

Under the money list / flat structure, the players WILL be able to pick and choose events. Hearn knows and accepts this, even if he paints a different picture in this article.

In golf and tennis with their 52 weeks a year worldwide calendars the players pick and choose their events, and snooker will be no different.

If Hearn REALLY wanted the player to all play every event, then hed have kept the current ranking list and tournaments structure, which trapped players into having to play most events.

Even Wild, who was 100% against the money list is probably now starting to see the merits of it, under a new year long tour im sure.

Postby GJ

witx

when does it start as it cant come soon enough with so many events