Post a reply

Rocket hails Hearn plans

Postby Wildey

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 90,00.html

Ronnie O'Sullivan has called for his fellow snooker players to "see sense" and get behind Barry Hearn's plans to radically revamp the sport.

The world number one has expressed his support for the new World Snooker chief ahead of the Betfred.com World Championship, which gets underway on April 17.

Players will vote on whether to accept Hearn's reform plans, which include a proposal for an extended professional tour with more competitions, after the Crucible showpiece.

Opportunity

The manifesto has come under fire for favouring the top players, but O'Sullivan insists all players should back the veteran promoter, as he is presenting the rare opportunity to incorporate fresh ideas into the sport.

In a break from tradition Hearn confirmed today that players would enter the Crucible arena to music of their choice, and three-time former world champion O'Sullivan is completely behind his revolutionary ideas.

"It has to be voted through," said O'Sullivan.

"There's a lot of playing opportunities there. In my opinion it has to happen.

"Whether it does or not we'll have to see but I'm sure the players will see sense.

"If they don't I'm sure Barry won't be hanging around and we're back to square one and it's all over."

Hearn has already made it clear that he will step down as chairman of the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association if the players vote against his proposals.

Faith

"I think sometimes you have to back people and allow people to do what they do," said O'Sullivan.

"We're lucky to have these people involved so whatever they want to do I think you have to back them with a little blind faith."

Hearn added: "Players will do what they're going to do and they'll get what they get. If they share the vision they'll get the benefits. If they don't share that's okay."

Re: Rocket hails Hearn plans

Postby Wildey

N_Castle07 wrote:O'Sullivan V Ebdon all over again. <laugh>

no its a case of sink vs swim <ok>

Postby N_Castle07

i just hope the players have the sense to vote for this. As Ronnie says its a case of change or back to square one.
Last edited by N_Castle07 on 07 Apr 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

N_Castle07 wrote:As Ronnie says its a case of change or back to square one.

this is a important point it isnt Barry Hearn but a change in how proffesional snooker works.

for my money to much player interferance has hindered the game by giving controling intrest to a non player and a indipendant snooker can move forward..

you cant run a succesfull buisness with to many people having equal say there must be 1 man that takes the flack....Barry Hearn is prepered to be that man.

Postby GJ

good try by ronnie to stay in hearn's good books i see this as an attempt to divert away from his antics last week

nice try ronnie <laugh> rofl

Postby N_Castle07

GJ i don't think that's what Ronnie is doing mate. He was praising Hearn for chairmanship when Sir Roders was still in charge. I truely beleive this is Ronnie's honest opinion.

Postby GJ

N_Castle07 wrote:GJ i don't think that's what Ronnie is doing mate. He was praising Hearn for chairmanship when Sir Roders was still in charge. I truely beleive this is Ronnie's honest opinion.

That may be the case but it may also be a tactic to try and divert from last weeks incident thats all im saying

<ok>

Postby Wildey

Trust GJ he could make a circle have a Angle lol

Postby Roland

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... cible.html

The Betfred.com World Championship was today launched in fine style by the two top seeds this year, John Higgins and Ronnie O’Sullivan, at the Royal Automobile Club in London.

The two stars took part in a raft of media interviews and played a frame of snooker for the Killing Cancer charity. The frame itself was not a classic but, at £50 per point they raised £4,000 for a very worthy cause.

Higgins and O’Sullivan joined WPBSA chairman Barry Hearn and Betfred founder Fred Done for a lively press conference as the countdown to snooker’s biggest event continues.

Done described Hearn in an interview for Eurosport as “the best sports promoter I have ever worked with” and said he wanted to sign on as sponsor for another four years, even though there are still two years to run on the existing contract after this year’s championship.

“What I like about Barry is his enthusiasm. You can see it pouring out of his veins,” Done said. “We didn’t get this enthusiasm last year.”

O’Sullivan was also keen to give his backing to Hearn, who is attempting to push through wide ranging changes to the way snooker is governed after years in which the sport has slowly declined.

“It has to be voted through,” O’Sullivan said. “Look at all the new playing opportunities – what more can you ask?

“I’m sure the players will see sense. If they don’t then it’s all over as far as I’m concerned.”

Hearn described Higgins and O’Sullivan as the sport’s ‘flag bearers.’ He said Higgins “is a great character when you can understand what he’s saying with that accent of his.” At one stage he put his arm around Ronnie and said, “he’s a lunatic but I love him.”

And he disagreed with O’Sullivan’s assertion that snooker could never enjoy the financial success of golf.

“For years, the lunatics have been running the asylum,” Hearn said. “Things have to change and if they do then, in time, we can get to where golf is. One day the World Championship could have a £1m first prize.

“But we all have to work together. All the whinging, moaning mediocrity has to stop. We need to be uplifted. You have to love what you do every second.”

Hearn assured traditionalists that the World Championship will not be messed with, although he is considering musical walk-ons.

“You don’t change the crown jewels,” he said. “You put the World Championship at the top of the pyramid and build everything else around it.”

Postby GJ

by the way i am the first to admit when im wrong

and having analysed hearns statement today i have to say if his words are genuine i think he is the right man to lead snooker

:D :)

Postby Wildey

whatever you think of hearn he talks a good game ive been a sceptic everyone knows that if i can change then everyone can change we need to go along with him for this ride and see where it takes us if it fails be honest what have we lost ? if it works then Luca Bracel or cheesyman ;) could pocket £1,000,000 as World champion.

lets do this lets get behind this lets try and make snooker richer lets give the sport a fighting chance.

Postby GJ

wildJONESEYE wrote:whatever you think of hearn he talks a good game ive been a sceptic everyone knows that if i can change then everyone can change we need to go along with him for this ride and see where it takes us if it fails be honest what have we lost ? if it works then Luca Bracel or cheesyman ;) could pocket £1,000,000 as World champion.

lets do this lets get behind this lets try and make snooker richer lets give the sport a fighting chance.

:afro: :ahh:

Postby Tubberlad

GJtheaussiestud wrote:by the way i am the first to admit when im wrong

and having analysed hearns statement today i have to say if his words are genuine i think he is the right man to lead snooker

:D :)

<ok> Good stuff lad. I can't say I like Hearn personally, but that's immaterial. I think he's a fine promoter, very enthusiastic about the game and above all does not want to mess with the majors. :clap:

Postby Casey

We need more top ranked players to come out in support, Selby has already voiced. Also some high profile middle ranked players need to give their view, something needs to be done to assure that band of players. The Chinese will be told what way to vote by their managers so it will depend on where their allegiances lye

Postby Tubberlad

case_master wc wrote:We need more top ranked players to come out in support, Selby has already voiced. Also some high profile middle ranked players need to give their view, something needs to be done to assure that band of players. The Chinese will be told what way to vote by their managers so it will depend on where their allegiances lye

Spot on. I wonder if we could put together a list of where players allegiances lie??? :idea2: I might start one off, and could be helped along by anyone with any info.

Postby Casey

StalinESQ wrote:Joe Perry....... like to know his views. <ok>

<ok>

This vote could well come down to the likes of Lawler, Green, Bond, Mark Davis...those sorts of players and how they vote.

Postby GJ

case_master wc wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:Joe Perry....... like to know his views. <ok>

<ok>

This vote could well come down to the likes of Lawler, Green, Bond, Mark Davis...those sorts of players and how they vote.

mark davis will do what leader perry tells him <ok>