Post a reply

Worlds TV Scheduling

Postby Dannyboy

Now I know this subject has probably been done to death in the last few years, but the BBC's scheduling for this year's championship (and probably the TV tournaments in the last few years) has been frustrating to say the least.

It drives me crazy that a live TV event that is being covered anyway online and on the red button, has to make way after an hour to show the 1,000th repeat of 1970s sitcom Dad's Army. The running costs wouldn't be any higher would it, as the commentators and presenters are there anyway!? What's the point!

Obviously we have Eurosport sharing the coverage - I think in the years to come, the BBC will want them to share their coverage on a bigger scale, with Eurosport taking more responsbility. Eurosport have been a tremendous servant to snooker (and minority sports in general actually); their coverage is simple and they cover almost every tournament on the calendar worldwide. However, the quality isn't the best and its not exactly the most "fashionable" channel to get maximum exposure.

Its worth noting that snooker isn't the only sport that has frustrating BBC coverage.

Re: Worlds TV Scheduling

Postby SnookerFan

I know what you mean.

A week in and I've already watched more of the tournament on Eurosport than I ever have before.

Postby GJ

THEIR SHOWING LIVE MORNING COVERAGE ON BBC 2 FOR FIRST TIME IN YEARS

BUT HEY JUST LOOK AT THE NEGATIVES

Postby SnookerFan

GJ wrote:THEIR SHOWING LIVE MORNING COVERAGE ON BBC 2 FOR FIRST TIME IN YEARS

BUT HEY JUST LOOK AT THE NEGATIVES

That's true.

But I do think that the loss of the full red button has been a massive blow when snooker has come round. But the BBC are trying to get round that by putting more coverage on BBC.

And like the OP says though, there is still Eurosport. Doesn't matter whether the channel is fashionable or not, if they are showing snooker, they are showing snooker.

I still wish the BBC hadn't restricted their capacity to show stuff on the Red Button though.

Postby Dannyboy

... but only for an hour this morning, for a probable 3.5 hour session. What's the point?

Postby SnookerFan

Saying all this, it's good that the BBC has the World Championship. (And I've done my fair share of moaning too.)

I've heard suggestions the BBC should let the major tournaments go off to Sky Sports. On one hand that might improve coverage (if Sky was dedicated to doing so), but snooker doesn't have the market in the UK it used to. It's important it has a presence on a channel that everybody has access to.

Postby snooker_loopy

"But the BBC are trying to get round that by putting more coverage on BBC."

Are you sure? I thought the BBC have reduced the normal tv coverage. In previous years they would have a Mon-Fri 9pm BBC 2 slot for coverage but that's gone, and they used to have Freeview Ch 302 for coverage of the second table. They removed 302 to save money but it would be nice to reinstate it for WC coverage. :)

Postby SnookerFan

snooker_loopy wrote:
"But the BBC are trying to get round that by putting more coverage on BBC."

Are you sure? I thought the BBC have reduced the normal tv coverage. In previous years they would have a Mon-Fri 9pm BBC 2 slot for coverage but that's gone, and they used to have Freeview Ch 302 for coverage of the second table. They removed 302 to save money but it would be nice to reinstate it for WC coverage. :)

They have been whacking more in the morning though.