Post a reply

2013/2014 Calendar

Postby snookerfan97

You can find the calendar for next season here : http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 47,00.html

Pretty big changes in my opinion, no more cubicles for the qualifiers it seems.A big change brought to the UK and to the Welsh Open.I don't particullary understand how this 2 events will work, they are longer and all the 128 players will travel to York and to Newport.Will there be more tables, like in the PTC's or what ? The setup in York for the last two years was great, I would like it to stay as it is.

Re: 2013/2014 Calendar

Postby snookerfan97

Smart wrote:Barnsley Metrodome !!! <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh>

What's wrong with that venue ?

Postby Skullman

Interesting that there's still no confirmed Indian event and if it on, it'll clash with the CL (not that many'll care). Also notice that there is no fixed location for qualifiers for foreign events. Barnsley Metrodome has the lion's share, but there are some at the SWSA and Doncaster Dome.

Postby Dannyboy

The Barnsley Metrodome and the Doncaster Dome are venues that have been used on the PDC professional darts tour. The Metrodome, from what I've heard is a decent venue. The dome, less so. A typical setup at these PDC ProTour events was a spacious, sanitised, leisure centre feel, which I suppose would be ideal for snooker.

Key points:
-Reduction in the number of wildcards from 8 to 4 in Chinese events. No ex-main tour players can get their potential "pay day" and a maximum of 1 wildcard match to be played per season per current main tour player.
-Increase in prize money for all events apart from the APTCs, which struggle to get a decent field due to travel costs. A decent payout for qualifiers too, on some occasions going down to the last 96 (£1000 for the World Championship), which I think is adequate compensation for their outlay.
-The World Snooker board can no longer be accused of "blackmailing" the players. Players can now pick and choose their events and plan their season and hotac/travel accordingly, however for me, it would be stupid not to take up these exceptional opportunities.

For me, the letter from Barry Hearn and this calendar announcement is an exciting moment in snooker. Prize money is going up 25% on this season and more than twice the amount at the conclusion of Rodney Walker's reign at the helm. Uncle Barry is aiming to get prize money levels up to a huge level - £10m in the coming years.

Yet there are still the moaners - I see Mark Allen making his boring comments this morning once again. I'm sorry, there will be more than 64 professionals remaining at the end of next season. Just scaremongering and frankly work shy. He gets to travel the world playing the sport he loves; he's able to drive fast cars and live in nice hotels and homes. He's able to earn megabucks and gain celebrity status in countries all around the world. The grass isn't always greener on the other side, Mark. What is the alternative?

Postby Skullman

Also some things that stood out to me in Hearn's letter from the site

Barry Hearn wrote: To make the most out of our increased demand we need to deliver the best product and to do that we need all players to continue to support our tournaments. We are only scratching the surface of where we could be. If you don’t support ALL of our tournaments you only have yourself to blame.

Goes against what Hearn said earlier about being happy for players to pick and choose what events they enter. A change of heart or did that only apply to Ronnie?

I'm guessing some people'll be happy that all qualifiers are open to the public, players and spectators.

Barry Hearn wrote:We do understand however, that wildcards remain a contentious issue and for this reason for the
2013/14 season we have made the following changes:
• Wildcards for Chinese events reduced from 8 to 4 wildcards.
• No ex-tour players will be allowed to play as wildcards in China events.
• Any tour player selected for a Wildcard match will be excluded from being selected as a
Wildcard match again at any other events for that season.

Some improvements to the wildcard system I think, especially that last point which stops the same player getting screwed out a place in the final stages, although if that player keeps getting beaten by wildcards you could argue he's not good enough to be the final stages...

Postby Dannyboy

I think one particular point that needs to be addressed in the next season - players' expenses.

Barry Hearn has gone on record, essentially telling players to "put their money where their mouth is". Investing in a snooker career, to get to these earning heights.

Not for PTC events, but I feel that some sort of sponsorship deal with a major airline (the major Chinese airlines would certainly be interested in my opinion), to provide free air travel for all 32 players that go to that particular event. The same sponsorship deal also required for hotac, although World Snooker say most of their hotel rooms in China are paid for anyway. Not a huge amount would be required - probably £250,000 per season.

Postby Skullman

One thing though. Why is everything in Yorkshire? Give other bits of England a chance to have some professional snooker.

Postby Casey

Has the World Cup been scraped?

Big increases for the UK and WC next season - looks a good Calendar to me. Also great to see the prize money for the PTC's doubled.

Postby Dannyboy

Reading through Mark Allen's article - did only 812 people pay money to go to the World Open this year?!

That said, probably more than 81.2m watched on TV!

Postby Roland

Skullman wrote:One thing though. Why is everything in Yorkshire? Give other bits of England a chance to have some professional snooker.

:happy:

Postby Wildey

£300,000 for winning the World Championship 2014.

at last after the Slump of withdrawing Tabaco Sponsorship Snooker has taken 10 years to recover where it was at in 2003 with Mark Williams winning Snookers biggest ever first prize of £270,000.

its now time to build on that and see Prize Money start growing Rapidly.

Postby Dannyboy

At today's exchange rate - the winner of the highest break prize in the Australian Open qualifiers will receive a whopping £68!

Postby snooky147

I always wanted to be a pro to win 150 Australian dollars for winning a match.... NOT.
Farcical.

Postby snooky147

Dannyboy wrote:I think one particular point that needs to be addressed in the next season - players' expenses.

Barry Hearn has gone on record, essentially telling players to "put their money where their mouth is". Investing in a snooker career, to get to these earning heights.

Not for PTC events, but I feel that some sort of sponsorship deal with a major airline (the major Chinese airlines would certainly be interested in my opinion), to provide free air travel for all 32 players that go to that particular event. The same sponsorship deal also required for hotac, although World Snooker say most of their hotel rooms in China are paid for anyway. Not a huge amount would be required - probably £250,000 per season.

Good point. Even travelling economy some tournaments it will take two wins to break even. This new system is not the godsend for the lower ranked as you all imagine.
Waits for the wealllovebarryandhecandonowronginoureyes camp to start vilifying me. Like I care.

Postby Skullman

It's not brilliant but at least they're getting money for winning, although it's a drop in the ocean compared to the cost of getting to the venue.

I'm honestly surprised because Hearn seems like the kind of guy who'd give the money to the winner to make the tournament look better. He even took some money from the last 48 so it could go lower down.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:It's not brilliant but at least they're getting money for winning, although it's a drop in the ocean compared to the cost of getting to the venue.

I'm honestly surprised because Hearn seems like the kind of guy who'd give the money to the winner to make the tournament look better. He even took some money from the last 48 so it could go lower down.

Barry Hearn hasent got a printing press.

if players wants more money they will HAVE to put in the hours and make that happen.

Sponsors wont put in money unless they get a good return from the sport.

its up to the players to make that happen theres no miracles here.

and regarding the Australian Open they are giving some money to win one match now compared to nothing this season...

Postby Casey

simplysnooker wrote:FFS I loved the World Cup a few years ago, can't believe its been scrapped

Yea, not even a word about it though. It was just scrapped quietly....any word on why?

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:The PL and CL also gone?

there's other events under discussion that's not the final calender yet

Postby Skullman

CL potentially still around. There's small blocks in the calendar around February-March which say CL option.

Postby Casey

Skullman wrote:

CL potentially still around. There's small blocks in the calendar around February-March which say CL option.

Would they hold the CL without the PL? Not sure many of the big names would turn up if a place in the PL wasn't on offer.

Postby Dannyboy

The Premier League will still be around - 100% sure. I'm sure they're still finalising the dates and the calendar released yesterday is only provisional.

I thought the World Cup was a biannual event swapping with the 6-reds in Thailand every year.

Postby Skullman

6-reds was last year, World Cup was two years ago now, so should be due. Although I wasn't a huge fan and prefer the 6-reds so not that sad to see it go.

Postby SnookerFan

Give me more opportunity to get up for the Welsh Open. I only got up for a day this year.

Glad to see it's in Newport. Though the fact they've moved the fish and chip shop which used to be next door is a bit of a pain in the bottom.

Postby Simone

So the latest is that all the radiostation-talkers and bartenders have been.........
Well you know.....

but what I certainly do know is that...

Don´t know tbh I am just drunk right now.

Postby Wildey

Simone wrote:So the latest is that all the radiostation-talkers and bartenders have been.........
Well you know.....

but what I certainly do know is that...

Don´t know tbh I am just drunk right now.

YOU DONT SAY :redneck: