Topic locked

Betfair World Championship Qualifying Round 1 (6-7th April)

Postby Roland

The Betfair World Championship Qualifying gets under way (following the controversial and soon to be scrapped pre-qualifying rounds) on Saturday 6th April. The order of play is as follows:

Saturday 6th April
1 10:00 Thepchaiya Un-Nooh v Scott Donaldson
2 10:00 Zhang Anda v Passakorn Suwannawat
3 10:00 Thanawat Tirapongpaiboon v Jamie O'Neill
4 10:00 Michael Wasley v Sean O'Sullivan
15 10:00 Craig Steadman v David Grace
16 10:00 Tian Pengfei v Martin O'Donnell
7 14:30 Tony Drago v Mohamed Khairy
8 14:30 Aditya Mehta v Daniel Wells
9 14:30 Luca Brecel v Fraser Patrick
10 14:30 Robbie Williams v Li Yan
1 19:00 Thepchaiya Un-Nooh v Scott Donaldson
2 19:00 Zhang Anda v Passakorn Suwannawat
3 19:00 Thanawat Tirapongpaiboon v Jamie O'Neill
4 19:00 Michael Wasley v Sean O'Sullivan
15 19:00 Craig Steadman v David Grace
16 19:00 Tian Pengfei v Martin O'Donnell

Sunday 7th April
6 10:00 Pankaj Advani v Joe Swail
14 10:00 Paul S Davison v Justin Astley
5 10:00 Dechawat Poomjaeng v Michael Leslie
11 10:00 Ian Burns v Joel Walker
12 10:00 Liam Highfield v Simon Bedford
13 10:00 Chen Zhe v Sam Baird
7 14:30 Tony Drago v Mohamed Khairy
8 14:30 Aditya Mehta v Daniel Wells
9 14:30 Luca Brecel v Fraser Patrick
10 14:30 Robbie Williams v Li Yan
6 19:00 Pankaj Advani v Joe Swail
14 19:00 Paul S Davison v Justin Astley
5 19:00 Dechawat Poomjaeng v Michael Leslie
11 19:00 Ian Burns v Joel Walker
12 19:00 Liam Highfield v Simon Bedford
13 19:00 Chen Zhe v Sam Baird

Live scores are here: http://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com/ ... ment/13298

The action can be followed FOR FREE!!! here: http://www.worldsnooker.livesport.tv/watchlive

And follow us on Twitter @snookerisland for live updates on how the matches are going. If you want to know how any particular matches are going either tweet them @snookerisland or ask them in this topic.

Re: Betfair World Championship Qualifying Round 1 (6-8th Apr

Postby Skullman

Hope Un-Nooh v Donaldson is streamed tomorrow. Don't think I've seen Scott play, the only match of his I think was streamed was the one in the UK against Luca, when I was at school.

Will you be going down this weekend Sonny?

Postby Roland

Yes mate I'm there this weekend and will aim for one of Tuesday or Wednesday evening (depending on matches/streaming) as well as Thursday where I intend to take the afternoon off work if I can to get there early, and fingers crossed both days next weekend.

Postby Smart

Noticed a lot of folk are predicting against Zhanger today. As you know Zhanger is my fav player (Ron aside) and the longer matches do suit his style of play. Will never forget his qualification in 2010 when he beat Ricky Walden will some faultless breaks and closed it out in some style with most of the viewing crowd in awe and trying to get a view of his table. Also never forget his manager (and Rons manager) saying in Chinese accent "amateurish" to describe a shot Zhanger played at one point.

Anyway, good luck Zhanger - show them doubters you can play. :D
Last edited by Smart on 06 Apr 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Roland

Smart wrote:@ Sonny

What was controversial about the pre-qualifying rounds and why are they being scrapped ??? <ok>

Controversial because it's only open to a select group of players who retain their WSA membership which is why you have the likes of non-playing ex-pros Knowles and Dodd playing and not the top amateurs who you see in every PTC event and who are better players.

That's going to change next year because (according to Les Dodd on Facebook) it's only going to be the 128 tour players who can take part. That's the way it should be isn't it? Either open it to everyone who pays the entry fee and have regional qualifiers or close it to all non-tour professionals.

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:
Smart wrote:@ Sonny

What was controversial about the pre-qualifying rounds and why are they being scrapped ??? <ok>

Controversial because it's only open to a select group of players who retain their WSA membership which is why you have the likes of non-playing ex-pros Knowles and Dodd playing and not the top amateurs who you see in every PTC event and who are better players.

That's going to change next year because (according to Les Dodd on Facebook) it's only going to be the 128 tour players who can take part. That's the way it should be isn't it? Either open it to everyone who pays the entry fee and have regional qualifiers or close it to all non-tour professionals.

thankyou, totally agree <ok> :wave:

Postby Roland

Also if you remember back to the interview with Kyren last year he could have kept his membership and played last year but he wouldn't have been eligible in the amateur events where at the start of the season he thought he was playing for a tour card which was later changed to no tour card for the amateur circuit he took part in so he lost out in both ways.

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:Also if you remember back to the interview with Kyren last year he could have kept his membership and played last year but he wouldn't have been eligible in the amateur events where at the start of the season he thought he was playing for a tour card which was later changed to no tour card for the amateur circuit he took part in so he lost out in both ways.

yep, its all a bit of a non-sense......these qualifiying rounds for me are about seeing some young talent battle thru past some ailing old has beens/or never quite weres <ok>

Postby Roland

I'm here with a view of O'Sullivan v Wasley, Grace v Steadman and Tian v MOD. Great set up.

Looks like Donaldson is coming back at Un-Nooh and TT against O'Neil. I'd say from what I've seen Wasley is looking the better player in his match.