Post a reply

2013 Worlds Sponsor is BETFAIR

Postby GJ

One of 2 betting firms

BETFAIR OR CORAL

Barry has failed to get a long term deal for the worlds and the deal will be a stop gap for this year only.

Personally i hope its coral as i think betfair has enough events as it is and their silly yellow would look awful at the worlds.

Announcement to confirm which of the 2 will be worlds sponsor

Monday 25th MARCH

<ok>
Last edited by GJ on 25 Mar 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Re: 2013 Worlds Sponsor will be .......

Postby GJ

Smart wrote:i bet with coral and i like blue, for those 2 reasons i am firmly backing coral :wave:

<ok> <ok> <ok> :hatoff:

Postby Smart

Jewell wrote:This is disappointing news on two counts.

Firstly, this is another bookmaker and it's not like we don't have enough of those already. Secondly, the lack of a long-term backer meaning we have to resort to this one year stop-gap.

Poor effort from, Barry. By spending all his time recently fannying about with the Olympic Stadium fiasco he has taken his eye of the ball.

how would you like a tournament without any sponsor associated to it whatsoever, it can happen quite easily :wave:

Postby Smart

Jewell wrote:
Smart wrote:how would you like a tournament without any sponsor associated to it whatsoever, it can happen quite easily

The world does consist only of bookmakers. There are plently of other industries out there, but I suspect Barry Hearn is not interested in exploring other avenues and is simply willing to grab the easy cash.

bookmakers might be the only ones interested in sponsoring snooker, ever thought about that :wave:

before BH came on board there were tournies without sponsors .....did you prefer that :wave:

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:
Smart wrote:how would you like a tournament without any sponsor associated to it whatsoever, it can happen quite easily

The world does consist only of bookmakers. There are plently of other industries out there, but I suspect Barry Hearn is not interested in exploring other avenues and is simply willing to grab the easy cash.

don't talk rubbish easy cash would mean sticking with betfred.

its a set back but sorry to say that's the fault of how the sport been going and players moaning don't help.

if players want better sponsors its time they walk the walk.

ive said it before Barry Hearn CANT do it on his own hes a sport promoter not merlin the magician.

Postby Smart

its nothing to do with the players. :wave:

Snooker is a hard sport to attract sponsors to. Its not properly a global sport. In general you have players either from the UK or from China. There are exceptions, but there is no reps from:

Africa
America
South America
Mainland Europe
Middle East

So based on the above areas of non-representation why would SONY, or COCA-COLA or any global brand want to advertise at the snooker world champs when there is such a massive amount of non-represented countries.

Betfair, betfred, coral, william hill, bettingforcunts.com, bet24/7.net are all based and targetting UK audiences. Dafabet was a China based company - why is that ??? Cos China is the 2nd element of where players and audiences are based.

Snooker is very small, compared to tennis or golf for instance. :wave: <ok>

Postby snooky147

Wild WC wrote:
Jewell wrote:

its a set back but sorry to say that's the fault of how the sport been going and players moaning don't help.

ive said it before Barry Hearn CANT do it on his own hes a sport promoter not merlin the magician.

I honestly don't know what you want mate. The players have been all over the world and provided us all with hours of viewing on TV. Okay, so some of them are moaning a bit. So what, If I was a family man with that schedule I would be moaning a bit too but moan or not they went and did the job. Somebody in an earlier thread made the Tennis analogy, about the Asian swing etc and how they get on with it. Well don't forget they have enough prize money(even in the first round losers) to afford it, and an entourage as well. You are right though Hearn is not a magician and he is not the be all and end all for this sport. He's done a good job, now it needs to be organised properly. By that I mean the schedule needs organising badly.

Postby Casey

I wish some people (starting with Dave Hendon) would stop using ‘working class’ like it’s a dirty word.
There is no sport more working class than football, yet money is pumped into the sport left right and centre. Sponsors are not afraid of putting money to a sport with any kind of background, that’s not the issue.
The issue is if they think snooker will bring value to their brand. The coverage and viewing figures would suggest yes. But nobody can deny it will be a risk for the first Company to put truly big cash on the table (talking 7 figures).
Do the blue chip Companies think snooker is cool enough to get behind? Well evidently they don’t, but that will change with time.
This is a reality check on where snooker really is at the minute, it will take time but I think it can get where it wants to.

One more note, I noticed some comments on Hendon’s blog about snooker fans – any tournament I have been to there has never been an issue with and I would have no issue bringing the family along. Compare that with say football were you have disgraceful behaviour by the fans and players.

Postby Smart

casey <ok>

can you quote Hendon...?

His views are pretty wacky imo. Plenty of families go to snooker, whether that is man and boy or all the family. Its tough on little kids to concentrate and sit still, so I would not realistically expect a kid to sit thru session after session. <ok>

Postby Casey

Here is one comment that annoyed me - I wonder would this poster bring his family to a football match....

[quote="Couldn't agree more Dave. Pandering to the lowest common denominator is a guarantee for regression. I attend half a dozen golf and snooker tournaments every year and without wanting to be patronising the difference in audience profile is stark. Venture to the Crucible bar at three o'clock on the first Saturday and it's odds on there will be forty or fifty lads on the snake hiss who will have watched a couple of frames and got bored, laughing hysterically because one of them shouted 'C'mon Alex' or whistled at Michaela. It is a depressing reflection on our society. I love the game of snooker, its incredible level of skill and its nuances which only a player or a spectator who has put in the effort to really understand the game can appreciate. But I also work in a senior role at a major blue chip company and would I recommend to my Marketing Director that we invest in snooker? Not a cat in hell's chance. "][/quote]

Postby Smart

Casey wrote:Here is one comment that annoyed me - I wonder would this poster bring his family to a football match....

Couldn't agree more Dave. Pandering to the lowest common denominator is a guarantee for regression. I attend half a dozen golf and snooker tournaments every year and without wanting to be patronising the difference in audience profile is stark. Venture to the Crucible bar at three o'clock on the first Saturday and it's odds on there will be forty or fifty lads on the snake hiss who will have watched a couple of frames and got bored, laughing hysterically because one of them shouted 'C'mon Alex' or whistled at Michaela. It is a depressing reflection on our society. I love the game of snooker, its incredible level of skill and its nuances which only a player or a spectator who has put in the effort to really understand the game can appreciate. But I also work in a senior role at a major blue chip company and would I recommend to my Marketing Director that we invest in snooker? Not a cat in hell's chance. wrote:

I would have no problem taking my daughter into a session at any time of the day. Yes some session are more boozey than others but its not a problem and not frightening for kids imo. Security do not let it get too rowdy. <ok>

Postby Casey

<ok>

The Crucible is fine for children, of course there are drinks flowing but nothing bad at all. I'm not sure why someone would compare snooker with golf anyway :shrug:

Postby GJ

ITS OFFICIAL

2013 BETFAIR WORLD SNOOKER CHAMPIONSHIP :mood: :mood: :mood:

Their awful yellow will look bad at the crucible <doh>

barry :td: :td:

Re: 2013 Worlds Sponsor is BETFAIR

Postby GJ

same sponsor as the masters

JOKE BARRY

Postby GJ

Jewell wrote:Has it been revealed how much money they are putting in? Or is Barry remaining silent on this issue? :gag:

no figures as of yet i would assume its on the cheap though as thats
german masters , the masters and shootout all bet fair

so some package deal was no doubt set up by old baz ages ago :td: <doh> :gag:

Postby Casey

It’s probably not any more than £450 - £500k...half of what he would have hoped for when he opened the bidding last September.

Could have been worse though...could have been Greggs

:weeds:

Postby Sickpotter

I think there are a lot of people on here who vastly overestimate snookers ability to draw sponsors

Snooker as a sport has less equipment which removes a huge revenue stream that's available to other sports. No snooker jerseys, no weather dependent outfits, limited cue, cloth and table makers. Snooker has 1/50th of the paraphenalia found in other sports.

High end stuff like watches, cars, etc. Yes there is some revenue drawn from there but not as much as there used to be. IMO this is partially driven by the economic downturn and partly due to what I call classing down the game. I may sound like :gramp: but I honestly believe that actions like weakening the dress code, having mickey mouse events that are little more than a piss-up for "fans", classless interviews given by top players and charges of match fixing have really destroyed the high class image the game carried with it in the 80's and 90's.

Booze and smokes have been targeted by the sin police and removed sponsors that had a really good audience with snooker fans. We have to admit, we're not the healthiest lot ;-)

Venues....seating capacity will always limit venue revenue. This is not a limitation that affects golf, football, etc. In those sports the venues provide huge revenues paying for the huge salaries and prize pools.

Finally I have to question what effect having bookmakers as your primary sponsors has. I would imagine it might be somewhat off-putting to some sponsors. Although widely accepted as an unavoidable vice, gambling isn't generally seen as a positive thing.

I think Barry is doing the best he can during a trying time with a game that's a tough sell. That snooker is a tough sell is a hard fact to swallow for us snooker fans. :sad:

Postby Wildey

snooky147 wrote:
Wild WC wrote:
Jewell wrote:

I honestly don't know what you want mate. The players have been all over the world and provided us all with hours of viewing on TV. Okay, so some of them are moaning a bit. So what, If I was a family man with that schedule I would be moaning a bit too but moan or not they went and did the job. Somebody in an earlier thread made the Tennis analogy, about the Asian swing etc and how they get on with it. Well don't forget they have enough prize money(even in the first round losers) to afford it, and an entourage as well. You are right though Hearn is not a magician and he is not the be all and end all for this sport. He's done a good job, now it needs to be organised properly. By that I mean the schedule needs organising badly.

Blue chip sponsors will NEVER and i mean NEVER invest their cash in a sport that has players moaning about Traveling etc.

if Snooker wants to attract those types of Sponsors they have to be willing no questions asked to put the Hours in.

You got a World champion that cant be fussed to do buck all ok he might have personal issues but that's not the fault of sponsors.

they will have to get a HELL of a lot more out of players or Bookies will be the Limit of Snooker sponsorship.

Postby GJ

Sickpotter wrote:I think there are a lot of people on here who vastly overestimate snookers ability to draw sponsors

Snooker as a sport has less equipment which removes a huge revenue stream that's available to other sports. No snooker jerseys, no weather dependent outfits, limited cue, cloth and table makers. Snooker has 1/50th of the paraphenalia found in other sports.

High end stuff like watches, cars, etc. Yes there is some revenue drawn from there but not as much as there used to be. IMO this is partially driven by the economic downturn and partly due to what I call classing down the game. I may sound like :gramp: but I honestly believe that actions like weakening the dress code, having mickey mouse events that are little more than a piss-up for "fans", classless interviews given by top players and charges of match fixing have really destroyed the high class image the game carried with it in the 80's and 90's.

Booze and smokes have been targeted by the sin police and removed sponsors that had a really good audience with snooker fans. We have to admit, we're not the healthiest lot ;-)

Venues....seating capacity will always limit venue revenue. This is not a limitation that affects golf, football, etc. In those sports the venues provide huge revenues paying for the huge salaries and prize pools.

Finally I have to question what effect having bookmakers as your primary sponsors has. I would imagine it might be somewhat off-putting to some sponsors. Although widely accepted as an unavoidable vice, gambling isn't generally seen as a positive thing.

I think Barry is doing the best he can during a trying time with a game that's a tough sell. That snooker is a tough sell is a hard fact to swallow for us snooker fans. :sad:

i dont mind it being a betting firm its the fact they sponsor another major and other lower tier events

Therefore it will devalue in the worlds in some ways :wave: :parrot: :gag:

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:I wish some people (starting with Dave Hendon) would stop using ‘working class’ like it’s a dirty word.
There is no sport more working class than football, yet money is pumped into the sport left right and centre. Sponsors are not afraid of putting money to a sport with any kind of background, that’s not the issue.
The issue is if they think snooker will bring value to their brand. The coverage and viewing figures would suggest yes. But nobody can deny it will be a risk for the first Company to put truly big cash on the table (talking 7 figures).
Do the blue chip Companies think snooker is cool enough to get behind? Well evidently they don’t, but that will change with time.
This is a reality check on where snooker really is at the minute, it will take time but I think it can get where it wants to.

One more note, I noticed some comments on Hendon’s blog about snooker fans – any tournament I have been to there has never been an issue with and I would have no issue bringing the family along. Compare that with say football were you have disgraceful behaviour by the fans and players.

Going back to the 80s Snooker was a dirty word in school Football wasent.

Very few owned up to being a snooker fan even though they were now those kids of the 80s has grown up and Running their companies with the same snobby atitute that Dave Hendon points out.. it doesent need Dave Hendon to tell sponsors that because that's always been there.

the Question is does snooker want to stay like that or trying for better and Bigger sponsors.

a British Based sport will never do that Football is not a British based game its played on a bigger platform Snooker needs to strive for that but speaking as a snooker fan i have a feeling most of the players wants it to stay British and therefore making it almost impossible for Big Companies to be interested.

Postby GJ

Having the 2 biggest events in snooker with the same sponsor is poor :td: :td:

But to also have that sponsor for a novelty event and a normal ranker makes it even worse :td:

Anyone with basic business nouse would realise this <ok>

barry's welsh poodle needs to take his blinkers off and stop cosying up barry's behind :parrot: :parrot:

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:Having the 2 biggest events in snooker with the same sponsor is poor :td: :td:

But to also have that sponsor for a novelty event and a normal ranker makes it even worse :td:

Anyone with basic business nouse would realise this <ok>

barry's welsh poodle needs to take his blinkers off and stop cosying up barry's behind :parrot: :parrot:

what do you expect him to do put a Gun to the head of Sponsors and say "Put them up your money or your life".

He knows that mate better than you and me.

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:Hearn said: We are thrilled to welcome Betfair as title sponsor for the first time.

rofl rofl rofl

Hearn's lost all credibility now, as far as I'm concerned.

what did you expect him to say?

"Betfair is the Title sponsor for this year World Championship i wish they wearnt and its rubbish having them as sponsors again"

Get real

Betfair came forward and put their money where their mouths are.

its up to every single person including fans to sell this sport to bigger and better Sponsors Barry cant do it on his own.

Postby Witz78

THAT CLOWN HENDON IS A FUCKEN ARROGANT TOOL

He want events with a bit of individuality and a chance for the players to show their characters ditched even though these events are played in front of decent crowds, surely this looks better for snookers image than rankers played in some far flung place in front of one man and a dog or events behind closed doors?

And how can he call for the Shootout to be ditched yet still champion the merits of the Championship League on the sole basis it offers him a free meal ticket??/ fucken laughable.

Snooker shouldnt be ashamed to be a working class sport, football is after all and look at the money an sponsorship flying about in it.

Hendons a grade A goof

Postby snooky147

Wild WC wrote:Blue chip sponsors will NEVER and i mean NEVER invest their cash in a sport that has players moaning about Traveling etc.
if Snooker wants to attract those types of Sponsors they have to be willing no questions asked to put the Hours in.

You got a World champion that cant be fussed to do buck all ok he might have personal issues but that's not the fault of sponsors.

they will have to get a HELL of a lot more out of players or Bookies will be the Limit of Snooker sponsorship.

If your talking about Graeme there mate your way off base. He has been to most of the events this season and I can't think of a time when he has moaned about it. I will tell you he doesn't like the travel but he never ever has but he realises it's the price he has to pay being a professional sportsman so when your talking about putting hours in 99 percent of the tour have done that. There will come a time when your Selby's, Murphy's etc have families will realise at one point that they want to spend some time with them so what they enter will have to be balanced out a bit more. They should not be criticised for that. I like Neal Foulds as a commentator so I was a little disapointed to hear him criticise Graeme for not entering the Crondon Park League. I had a dodgy connection at the time but it seemed like he was saying that if it's good enough for Maguire to enter then Graeme should have too. He has no idea why Graeme chose not to play but it certainly was not because he thinks it's beneath him, far from it.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
And how can he call for the Shootout to be ditched yet still champion the merits of the Championship League on the sole basis it offers him a free meal ticket??/ fucken laughable.

that is infact a good point.

however selling snooker down the river with gimmicks is just as bad.

any sport who feels the need to cater for an Audience that has no real interest in the proper game has and will have problems selling itself to proper sponsors.

in recent years

Shot Clocks
Shoot Outs
Power Snooker
6 Reds even 10 Reds.

its smells of desperation and as a sponsor would anyone become interested in a desperate sport.

Snooker Strength is the Game itself and its going through some air of Prostitution we need get rid of all these Gimmicks and look positive and focused on what snooker is.

I Know some of those ideas was Barry Hearn and Matchroom Hopefully he can see sense and ditch all those Circus.