Post a reply

Re: Haikou World Open Final Discussion !!!!!

Postby oldgreenbaize

Hi everyone, hope you all enjoyed the Haikou World Open final earlier today.

Below is my report on Allen's 10-4 victory - please feel free to take a look by all means.

http://theoldgreenbaize.com/2013/03/03/ ... solid-win/

Probably not been the best competition this season - what with the rather disappointing crowds and the mess up with players' cues not arriving etc. Hopefully lessons are learned from this week and we never see such low attendances for major ranking events. The sport doesn't deserve that image.

That's the last thing on Mark Allen's mind though - he's the winner and moves up to number seven in the world rankings.

Bring on all the fun in Galway for the PTC Grand Finals! I anticipate bigger crowds for that one!

All the best,
Nigel

Postby GJ

oldgreenbaize wrote:Hi everyone, hope you all enjoyed the Haikou World Open final earlier today.

Below is my report on Allen's 10-4 victory - please feel free to take a look by all means.

Probably not been the best competition this season - what with the rather disappointing crowds and the mess up with players' cues not arriving etc. Hopefully lessons are learned from this week and we never see such low attendances for major ranking events. The sport doesn't deserve that image.

That's the last thing on Mark Allen's mind though - he's the winner and moves up to number seven in the world rankings.

Bring on all the fun in Galway for the PTC Grand Finals! I anticipate bigger crowds for that one!

All the best,

Nigel

Great work NIGE

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
<ok> <ok> <ok> <ok> <ok> <ok> <ok> :-)

Postby Muppet147

Casey wrote:Allen has added a new level to his game and is becoming very tough to beat when not at his best.

As for the Crucible here is how I would put the favourites -

Selby
    Trump
    Higgins & Robbo
    Allen, Maguire, Ding

Others worth of note - Murphy Bingham and Ronnie.

Ronnie was a strange one to place but after a year out of the game I just cannot see him winning the whole thing.

ROS will be as fresh as a daisy. He will be the favorite with only Selby and Trump able to stop him.

Postby GJ

Muppet147 wrote:
Casey wrote:Allen has added a new level to his game and is becoming very tough to beat when not at his best.

As for the Crucible here is how I would put the favourites -

Selby
    Trump
    Higgins & Robbo
    Allen, Maguire, Ding

Others worth of note - Murphy Bingham and Ronnie.

Ronnie was a strange one to place but after a year out of the game I just cannot see him winning the whole thing.

ROS will be as fresh as a daisy. He will be the favorite with only Selby and Trump able to stop him.

he will deliver in his title defence as he has done numerous times before when defending .........

Postby Wildey

Theres being fresh as a daisy and there's being completely cold without any hard match practice.

Ronnie is the Latter <ok>

he will need a easy first few matches and even then itll be difficult

Postby GJ

Wild WC wrote:Theres being fresh as a daisy and there's being completely cold without any hard match practice.

marco is the perfect opener :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :D :D

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:
Wild WC wrote:Theres being fresh as a daisy and there's being completely cold without any hard match practice.

marco is the perfect opener :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :D :D

Marco could easily be seeded.

Postby GJ

Wild WC wrote:
GJ wrote:

Marco could easily be seeded.

cant see it mate TBH

Postby Smart

oldgreenbaize wrote:Hi everyone, hope you all enjoyed the Haikou World Open final earlier today.

All the best,
Nigel

N-I-G-E <ok> :wave:

Postby SnookerFan

Jewell wrote:Ranking Event winners so far this season:

Wuxi Classic Ricky Walden 10-4 Stuart Bingham*
Australian Goldfields Open Barry Hawkins 9-3 Peter Ebdon*
Bank of Communication Shanghai Masters John Higgins 10-9 Judd Trump*
World Snooker International Championship Judd Trump 10-8 Neil Robertson*
Williamhill.com UK Championship Mark Selby 10-6 Shaun Murphy*
Betfair MastersMark Selby 10-6 Neil Robertson*
Betfair German Masters Allister Carter 9-6 Marco Fu*
BetVictor Welsh Open Stephen Maguire 9-8 Stuart Bingham*
Haikou World Open Mark Allen 10-4 Matthew Stevens*

*World Champion did not enter the tournament

If we're going by what The World Champion has done this season, he'll lose in the first round to Simon Bedford.

Postby Wildey

And Rod Lawler the best player of the season winning a tournament the world champion played in.

Postby Andre147

Yah that is all rubbish really agree. Even if the World Champion enters a tourney, it doesn't mean that tourney is always gonna be better or harder to win.

What is indeed really interesting to note is that if we count ranking tournaments from this season and the last, that's 11 diferent ranking event winners, and 12 out of 13 if we count last season's Welsh Open that Ding won, so that for me is the real question here.

The standard may not be "as high as ever" as most people claim, but the thing is it's becoming harder and harder to consistently win full ranking tournaments on a regular basis, like Davis and Hendry did in their prime. It's nothing new this of course, but what we see is that a player's form or consistency is not as high from one tourney to the other.

The closest we's got was Selby winning this season's Uk and Masters titles, though the latter isn't a ranker as we all know, but it still is an amazing achievemnt these days given all the different winners of tournaments.

Postby Wildey

In the future with a flat 128 system players like Robbo, Ding, Higgins, Trump, Allen even maybe Selby will take a break from some events so if Ronnie wins one of those events would that diminish his achievement?

of course not.

if snooker wants a system where players can pick and choose that's something we got to get used to Top players not playing in everything.

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:
Wild WC wrote:And Rod Lawler the best player of the season winning a tournament the world champion played in.

Only a fool would take into account the PTC events and you, Wild, are the biggest fool we have on this site. <ok>

to start with i havent

and secondly your the biggest fool we have on this site that my friend that is universally acknowledged.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Trivia question time since this finals dire

name the 11 players who are no longer alive who played at the Crucible

Last night Beergitte went through this thread and she came across this question.

and i took the challenge on and found 8 players

Alex Higgins
Paul Hunter
Cliff Wilson
John Spencer
Eddie Charlton
Fred Davis
John Pullman
and
Bill Werbeniuk

then this morning i checked the early crucible draws and found the other 3 Pat Houllihan 1978, John Dunning 1981 and Jack Fitzmaurice 1982.

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:
Wild WC wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Trivia question time since this finals dire

name the 11 players who are no longer alive who played at the Crucible

Last night Beergitte went through this thread and she came across this question.

and i took the challenge on and found 8 players

Alex Higgins
Paul Hunter
Cliff Wilson
John Spencer
Eddie Charlton
Fred Davis
John Pullman
and
Bill Werbeniuk

then this morning i checked the early crucible draws and found the other 3 Pat Houllihan 1978, John Dunning 1981 and Jack Fitzmaurice 1982.

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

it was a question that was asked by witz and i had some knowledge to answer it unlike you bunch of thickos.