Topic locked

The Dafabet PTC Grand Final Last 32 Discussion !!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Tuesday 12th of March ~Sunday 17th of March at The Bailey Allen Hall, National University of Ireland, Galway

3rd staging of the PTC Grand Finals previously won by Shaun Murphy in 2011 and Stephen Lee in 2012 neither of which will be playing in it this year, Shaun Murphy failed to Qualify in all the available routes and Stephen Lee despite qualifying through winning APTC 2 is Suspended so his place goes to china's Xiao Guodong who was next on the APTC Order of Merit.

This year the Field of Players has increased from 24 to 32 with £100,000 Going to the winner.

only 6 out of 32 players have played in the event every year Mark Selby, Martin Gould, Jack Lisowski, Tom Ford, Andrew Higginson and Mark Davis, Stephen Maguire has Qualified all 3 Years however in 2011 he withdrew without Playing giving Stuart Bingham a Bye in to the Last 16.

Ken Doherty who has been heavily involved with the Grand Finals of previous years as The MC has this year Qualified as a Player and will play Kurt Maflin in Round 1.

Who will top yet another Packed season of PTC Events and win the Overall Tournament?

DRAW

Last 32

Mark Selby v Jack Lisowski (Head to Head Lisowski Leads 2-1)
Martin Gould v Tom Ford (Head to Head Ford Leads 4-1)
Marco Fu v Mark Joyce (Head to Head Marco Leads 1-0)
John Higgins v Allister Carter (Head to Head Higgins Leads 16-4)
Neil Robertson v Jamie Burnett (Head to Head Robertson Leads 2-1)
Barry Hawkins v Li Hang (Never met before)
Graeme Dott v Xiao Guodong (Head to Head Dott Leads 1-0)
Judd Trump v Alfie Burden (Head to Head Trump Leads 3-1)
-------------------------------------------------------------
Ding Junhui v Andrew Higginson (Head to Head Ding Leads 1-0)
Robert Milkins v Anthony McGill (Head to Head McGill Leads 1-0)
Mark Allen v Mark Davis (Head to Head Allen Leads 5-1)
Stephen Maguire v Joe Swail (Head to Head Maguire Leads 7-2)
Rod Lawler v Cao Yupeng (Never met before)
Ken Doherty v Kurt Maflin (Never met before)
Ben Woollaston v Mark Williams (Head to Head 1-1)
Stuart Bingham v Joe Perry (Head to Head Perry Leads 4-2)

ORDER OF PLAY

Image Image

Re: The Dafabet PTC Grand Final Last 32 Discussion !!

Postby Wildey

Professional tournament Snooker takes a 8 day Break now until week Tomorrow in Galway

this Morning it was announced that Dafabet will be the Title Sponsor http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 77,00.html Dafabet is Asia's no 1 Online Gaming and betting Company.

Three top 16 Players will be missing from the event.

World no 4 Shaun Murphy
World no 10 Matthew Stevens
and
World no 12 Ricky Walden

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:
Lucky wrote:Asias number one online bookmakers.........cant see any problem there then!

All money is welcome but I do wish Hearn would diversify abit more.

yea we do need more diversity but that's the position snooker found itself in after years of rubbish management.

in years gone by you've had the UK and Masters without sponsors even.

Postby Roland

Barry Hearn has been quoted as saying:

“The biggest prize money increases in future will be held back for those tournaments which are seen to be fairer to the membership as a whole, so look for further significant increases in PTC events and PTC Finals in the years ahead.”

So with a top prize of £100,000 this year and more to come, this looks like being one of the big ones to win in years to come. I think it also answers the question Monique flamed me for not asking Jason Ferguson and that is that this will definitely count towards a money list ranking system.

I've missed the first two PTC finals. I think I was skiing one year and possibly doing the team SI thing last year but I'll be tuned into this one all being well.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:Barry Hearn has been quoted as saying:

“The biggest prize money increases in future will be held back for those tournaments which are seen to be fairer to the membership as a whole, so look for further significant increases in PTC events and PTC Finals in the years ahead.”

So with a top prize of £100,000 this year and more to come, this looks like being one of the big ones to win in years to come. I think it also answers the question Monique flamed me for not asking Jason Ferguson and that is that this will definitely count towards a money list ranking system.

I've missed the first two PTC finals. I think I was skiing one year and possibly doing the team SI thing last year but I'll be tuned into this one all being well.

the big prize at the finals and its impact on the money list rankings is clearly the carrot the WS want to ensure some big names still play in the regular PTC events to enable snooker to grow in new areas.

As it is, i still think some of the PTC events will have far more money in their fund than others will. I dont see why every PTC event should have the same prize fund at it, when local promoters might want to throw a bit more into theirs to attract a better pool.

Postby Smart

Jewell wrote:
Lucky wrote:Asias number one online bookmakers.........cant see any problem there then!

All money is welcome but I do wish Hearn would diversify abit more.

my fear (not worried but in the back of my mind) is when tobacco sponsorship was ended it was a very bad thing for snooker.....if anything bad happens with betting scandals or the like we got all our eggs in one basket - there is no other sponsors other than betting firms :shrug:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Sonny wrote:Barry Hearn has been quoted as saying:

the big prize at the finals and its impact on the money list rankings is clearly the carrot the WS want to ensure some big names still play in the regular PTC events to enable snooker to grow in new areas.

As it is, i still think some of the PTC events will have far more money in their fund than others will. I dont see why every PTC event should have the same prize fund at it, when local promoters might want to throw a bit more into theirs to attract a better pool.

yea no point having PTC Events if PTC Finals has no ranking points under money rankings.

with main ranking tournaments prize money increasing PTC Would become snake hiss in the ocean as it is now and they will have no hope of developing even further.

so the PTC Grand Final is the double edge carrot for players to do some traveling.

Postby Witz78

some of the less attractive Chinese rankers (financially wise) will need to up the ante a bit or they could soon be skipped by a lot of players.

Id imagine your average top player will prob focus on the 3 biggest Chinese events.

Another thought ive had, given the Premier League will be changed and will free up a lot of Autumn again, does that mean they will shunt the current "summer" rankers like Australia, Wuxi to the Autumn, so theres actually more of a break between seasons ?

Personally id rather see the sport eventually go the same as Tennis and Golf with the season being in a calendar year, as opposed to the over 2 calendar years like a football season.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:some of the less attractive Chinese rankers (financially wise) will need to up the ante a bit or they could soon be skipped by a lot of players.

Id imagine your average top player will prob focus on the 3 biggest Chinese events.

Another thought ive had, given the Premier League will be changed and will free up a lot of Autumn again, does that mean they will shunt the current "summer" rankers like Australia, Wuxi to the Autumn, so theres actually more of a break between seasons ?

Personally id rather see the sport eventually go the same as Tennis and Golf with the season being in a calendar year, as opposed to the over 2 calendar years like a football season.

next season Aussie Open will be on at the same time of year as this season 8th to 14th of July

Postby Witz78

Wild WC wrote:
Witz78 wrote:some of the less attractive Chinese rankers (financially wise) will need to up the ante a bit or they could soon be skipped by a lot of players.

next season Aussie Open will be on at the same time of year as this season 8th to 14th of July

yeh i know mate but long term i wonder if that will happen

then again, i suppose the free weeks in the calendar now, thanks to the end of the PL will come in handy for any of the PTCs that want to become full rankers in the future

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild WC wrote:

yeh i know mate but long term i wonder if that will happen

then again, i suppose the free weeks in the calendar now, thanks to the end of the PL will come in handy for any of the PTCs that want to become full rankers in the future

the goal should be a asian/australasian leg and a europe leg of the tour so that you go from one to another seamless unlike going to world open then fly home to ireland then back to china open.

but all that will take time because of existing contracts with venues and TV Commitments...getting all that to tally wont be easy but im sure Barry is trying.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:yeh thats def what should be aimed for eventually

i have no doubt some players would be horrified not going home for a month and will be picking and choosing when to join the tour but that's what pro sport is its a never ending road show and you jump on and off as the ride continues.

the tour will comprise of 128 players but just like this season amateurs will be taking their place in draws to make up the numbers so in effect its now a open tour.

do well in q school even though you dont qualify and you too will play on the main tour.

Postby Witz78

yeh i mean the likes of Nadal had been on a tour of America this year since he came back from injury, going from tournaments in Brazil, Chile, Mexico and now hes in the USA.

These guys get on with it and accept its a sacrifice they have to make, so i dont know why snooker players think they are above all this travelling.

In some ways im willing this season to be over with, so we can truly get on with the start of the new era, because next season will shake up the sport more than anything Hearn has done to date. I expect a lot of negativity from top 16, 32 and 48 players who suddenly slide down the rankings and stop making it to tournaments after being used to it, but ill have no sympathy for them.

Its a level playing field now, so if your good enough, you'll do your talking on the table.

Postby hendry_fan

Witz78 wrote:yeh i mean the likes of Nadal had been on a tour of America this year since he came back from injury, going from tournaments in Brazil, Chile, Mexico and now hes in the USA.

These guys get on with it and accept its a sacrifice they have to make, so i dont know why snooker players think they are above all this travelling.

In some ways im willing this season to be over with, so we can truly get on with the start of the new era, because next season will shake up the sport more than anything Hearn has done to date. I expect a lot of negativity from top 16, 32 and 48 players who suddenly slide down the rankings and stop making it to tournaments after being used to it, but ill have no sympathy for them.

Its a level playing field now, so if your good enough, you'll do your talking on the table.

Witz,i could,nt agree with you more!= "so if your good enough, you'll do your talking on the table". <ok> :clap:

Postby hendry_fan

I just got back from my snooker club,in fact,it was the first time i,ve been in 15 months,(i got banned for 1 year and was fined 10,000 grand,for calling the owner a GOOFBALL and for stealing some whiskey from the bar). :emb:

Nah,i,m only jokin,the bit about me not goin for 15 months is true though.

Hearing bout Ronnie playin again got me inspired and i finaly got off ma lazy backside and went to my club,the members were happy to see me again and talked me into playin a couple of frames.

I actualy played not bad,considerin i have,nt picked up a cue for 15 months,i even shot two 17 breaks and had a chance to make a 24 but missed a difficult black. :td: :-D

I played 7 frames and bottled a good few sitters,but it was good to pick up a cue again. :happy:

Postby Roland

Witz78 wrote:yeh i mean the likes of Nadal had been on a tour of America this year since he came back from injury, going from tournaments in Brazil, Chile, Mexico and now hes in the USA.

To be honest I think a lot of it comes down to the bulk of the tour being British, and moaning about how unfair things are is a very British thing to do.

Postby Wildey

Simone wrote:I think it is a good idea to have this PTC Grand Final in Ireland. Nicely shaped format this PTC all the way :mex:

Prize Money could be better in the earlier PTC but everything else is shaping up nicely.

i know some wants to get Rid of the PTC but for me it gives younger players on tour or even before they get on tour grounding to start competing with top players on a consistent basis.

in previous years Amateur Rounds was used to top up the Last 128 Rounds in the main draw.

Question is how will that work with 128 main tour players?

obviously with 32 new main tour places there will be less amateurs but even so they will be there personally i hope what they will do is top 96 on the PTC Order of merit goes through to the last 128 and the rest pros and amateurs slum it together trying to qualify.

Postby Wildey

Tuesday 12th of March

10am

Martin Gould v Tom Ford

Followed By

Barry Hawkins v Li Hang

Followed By

Neil Robertson v Jamie Burnett

Followed By

Stephen Maguire v Joe Swail

NB 7.30pm

Mark Allen v Mark Davis

Followed By

Mark Selby v Jack Lisowski

All Matches will be live on British Eurosport 2 10am-11.30pm but it varies in other Eurosport Regions

as snooker players they are well used to long periods between tournaments but in resent years its been full on so im sure the players enjoyed their break from competition now its back to work in galway.