Post a reply

Will Ronnie beat Hendrys tally of World Championships?

Yes
17%
No
50%
Jimmys Mad
33%

Total votes : 12

Re: Has Jimmy been at the brandy?

Postby GJ

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

JIMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Postby Lucky

The comments on that article make intresting reading. I know 606 was a idiot paradise, but is that how general sports fans see snooker? Plus its dragged the nutter out the woodwork, trying to drum up some traffic.

Postby GJ

luck

wouldnt surprise me if half of them are burke under different aliases hes that sad

Postby GJ

Jewell wrote:
Daniel wrote:Snooker and arguments of greatness are more than trophies acquired during a much weaker period of time, I am afraid.

Would it be wrong of me to agree with this statement? :gag:

are you the big bad wolf in disguise :gag: :parrot:

Postby Wildey

in a Interview after the Press Conference Ronnie was saying he will play one tournament at a time.

he was bored being out for so long but hes Ronnie he might get Bored playing and decide i prefer not playing.

who knows but i honestly cant see him wanting to play on for so many years ....

He might win a World title every 3 years and reach 8 by 2024 at 50 otherwise the standards are so low that Ronnie reaches 8 before Judd, Selby, Ding, Robbo, Murphy or even Brecel wins one.

Postby gallantrabbit

I'm Jim's biggest fan, but he does look a bit of a two and eight these days...Lots of good living I hope.
As for Ronnie he's got the talent to win eight, but there's nothing to suggest that he could win 4 more any quicker than he won his previous 4.
Let's see the positives though. Having him back is good for snooker.
If Jim gets through one qualifier I'll be chuffed. Is he in danger of falling off the tour???

Postby Witz78

Wild WC wrote:He might win a World title every 3 years and reach 8 by 2024 at 50 otherwise the standards are so low that Ronnie reaches 8 before Judd, Selby, Ding, Robbo, Murphy or even Brecel wins one.

So, how come if Ronnie does happen to reach 8 world titles pretty quickly now over the next few years, beating all of the players you mentioned, then it would signal a weak era ???

Didnt hear that logic when Hendry won all his titles close together ?? :no:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild WC wrote:He might win a World title every 3 years and reach 8 by 2024 at 50 otherwise the standards are so low that Ronnie reaches 8 before Judd, Selby, Ding, Robbo, Murphy or even Brecel wins one.

So, how come if Ronnie does happen to reach 8 world titles pretty quickly now over the next few years, beating all of the players you mentioned, then it would signal a weak era ???

Didnt hear that logic when Hendry won all his titles close together ?? :no:

at 37 hes over the hill younger players should be stealing his thunder.

Postby Roland

I disagree. He's a one off, he'll still be capable of winning when he's 60. So he'll always be in the mix, it's whether or not the up and comers like Luca can get the beating of him on a consistent basis. I think Ronnie is capable of winning more than 7 worlds but being capable and carrying it off are two different things entirely.

Postby Roland

I wouldn't go that far, I'd say 60 tops. I've seen plenty of 70+ year olds in local leagues who can still play to a decent standard but in serious fits and starts so that'll be the thing that finishes Ronnie's career, inconsistency. He'll always have the ability but concentration is harder to maintain as you get older.

Postby Sickpotter

Sonny wrote:I wouldn't go that far, I'd say 60 tops. I've seen plenty of 70+ year olds in local leagues who can still play to a decent standard but in serious fits and starts so that'll be the thing that finishes Ronnie's career, inconsistency. He'll always have the ability but concentration is harder to maintain as you get older.

60? Seriously? rofl

It's not the concentration that's the problem for older players, it's the physical demands of the sport and their bodies failing. You can keep a quick mind well into your later years but the body doesn't improve with time after a certain age. (about 30 IMO).

The biggest torture for older players is still being able to see what they need to do but failing on the physical side. It's not like they forget how to break build, it's that their fine motor control and eyesight are deteriorating. :sad:

IMO I can't see Ronnie winning a WC past his early forties and even that's stretch. Any less talent and I'd say he'd have no shot at all. It's a young man's game. Look at the other massively talented players we've had, every one of them hits a wall. Ronnie's level of talent might stretch his longevity by say 5 years longer than norm but nature will take it's course.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I disagree. He's a one off, he'll still be capable of winning when he's 60. So he'll always be in the mix, it's whether or not the up and comers like Luca can get the beating of him on a consistent basis. I think Ronnie is capable of winning more than 7 worlds but being capable and carrying it off are two different things entirely.

Mate he hastent been that capable to sustain it at 25 to 35 so it wont be getting any easier for him.

Postby Roland

Both Higgins and Ronnie have played their best stuff in their 30s in my opinion. When I say 60 I don't mean he'll be winning world titles, but he'll certainly be capable of semis and quarters and being in the top 16 or 32. You only have to look back at the likes of Reardon and Cliff Wilson, and Steve Davis for that matter to see that it's possible to remain near the top into your senior years. Obviously if you're good enough in the first place.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Both Higgins and Ronnie have played their best stuff in their 30s in my opinion. When I say 60 I don't mean he'll be winning world titles, but he'll certainly be capable of semis and quarters and being in the top 16 or 32. You only have to look back at the likes of Reardon and Cliff Wilson, and Steve Davis for that matter to see that it's possible to remain near the top into your senior years. Obviously if you're good enough in the first place.

thats debatable ...

they won more but is it really their best Stuff?

John won 3 World Title since 2007 but none of them he played Better than he did to win his first in 1998 .

Postby Sickpotter

IMO good performances from Davis in his later years are more related to his mental strength than his game.

I wouldn't say Higgins played his best game with his recent titles but he was without a doubt the hardest mental player and I think that more than talent has brought John his successes of late.

Not to be mean but mental strength has never been Ronnie's strength so to expect him to follow in Davis's footsteps is a little unrealistic IMO.

Certainly he could hang around the circuit for another decade because of his talent but IMO player longevity is not due to talent as much as it is of mental strength and desire.

I think the more important consideration would be would Ronnie be content to make 1/4s and semis?

Postby Wildey

Sickpotter wrote:IMO good performances from Davis in his later years are more related to his mental strength than his game.

Good performances every so often.

Ronnie would not be content with the Davis performances of the last 20 years and would hang up his cue long time ago.

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:Both Higgins and Ronnie have played their best stuff in their 30s in my opinion. When I say 60 I don't mean he'll be winning world titles, but he'll certainly be capable of semis and quarters and being in the top 16 or 32. You only have to look back at the likes of Reardon and Cliff Wilson, and Steve Davis for that matter to see that it's possible to remain near the top into your senior years. Obviously if you're good enough in the first place.

this prediction is up there with the Liu Song is the best Chinese player I have ever witnessed aside from DING .......... :wave:

Postby Cannonball

Not really, though this is very funny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6AjgELgeTo

Ok, I've been watching the last two tournaments and the 'talent' around shouldn't worry the Rocket. Getting to a World final requires a kind draw and a bit of luck, even for the best; hence why Ali Carter has made two finals! The only guy who looks in any kind of form to trouble Ronnie is Robbo, but if Robbo got a tough draw and Ronnie an easy one, it could be a cakewalk for Ronnie. If everything went according to seeding, Ronnie would play Robbo and Judd would play Selby. However, things rarely go according to plan in snooker, this isn't tennis and not nearly as predicable. Ronnie hasn't defended a world crown successfully but I think he has as much chance and a bit more than most. So, not impossible and the lack of match practice is irrelevant as he should be able to turn match psychology on from memory. To be fair, he exists in a bubble and claims to be oblivious to what's happening; the best players exist in bubbles and really could be playing the match on Mars with active volcanoes going off, they are so zoned.

Not sure about him winning 4 more titles though; it's a big ask at Ronnie's age but I think Ronnie is the only player at 37 who could even contemplate something like this. Because of natural talent, on a mental and physical level, he's 10 years younger than the average professional, even the best pros like Davis and Hendry. He keeps himself in great shape. So, unlikely but not impossible for ROS.

Postby Simone

Besides snooker, basically all the parakeeting (discuessed about here forum) are about the stop any time soon. And people starting to react and act more genuinely.