Post a reply

Re: 2013 World Final Countdown: Ronnie vs Selby

Postby GJ

ronnie is more interested in his engagement to the former fox of holby city than snooker

cant blame him :love: :love:

Postby Skullman

Smart wrote:it read okay UNTIL The Cart-Horse......................... rofl

Wouldn't the Carthorse be Carter anyway? It's not like he's that fast, they share four letters and he seems to have a long face most of the time.

Postby Roland

This would be the biggest snooker match of all time, make no mistake. For various reasons but the main one being they represent two ends of the spectrum of styles this game can be played in and there is proper needle between the players and the fans of the players. It would be box office! The downside is it could get ugly from the point of view of someone who runs a snooker forum :redneck:

Postby GJ

As a Robbo fan i have to say it would be a classic match as a NEUTRAL

Postby Skullman

Jewell wrote:Sonny, I agree wholeheartedly with what you say. I'd even take it one step further myself and say that the sport of snooker NEEDS a match of this magnitude.

I feel like it's been ages since we've had a World Final which has captured the public's imagination.

Higgins v Trump?

Postby Roland

Higgins v Trump was a great final, contrast of styles but Ronnie v Selby has history. Ronnie beat Selby 9-8 in the UK semi with a 147, and beat him in the Masters final and Selby beat Ronnie in the Masters final from 9-6 down and 9-8 in the Welsh from 8-4 or 8-5 down and also beat him at the Crucible from being miles behind as well. Selby is the current UK and Masters champion and World Number 1 (assuming he remains there at next cut off) and Ronnie is the reigning World Champion. They don't possibly come any bigger.

Postby Skullman

Obviously I'd prefer Selby v Ronnie more and I'm not saying Higgins v Trump was a better match up, but Jewell said there hadn't been a final in ages that captured the public's imagination and I remember the buzz around Judd at the time...

Postby Roland

Well yes that captured the public's imagination, no one can deny that. But this would be bigger. I'd rather Selby win it this year and then have that as the final in 2014 :-)

Postby Wildey

no point talking about this.

Ronnie has not said he will be there and Selby has 4 other Matches to win before he gets to the final.

i don't believe in Jinxing but i know some do well that's done it then.

Postby GJ

a robbo v selby world final would be interesting to see if robbo is mentally strong enough to forget the uk and masters v mark.

Postby Andre147

Jewell wrote:I understand what your saying, Wild. To me you come across as a pragmatist, nothing wrong with that at all.

But isn't it fun to speculate sometimes? How boring would life be if we were never allowed to imagine?

yes jewel fully agree, although I think it will be very very unlikely that something like this happens, the truth is like Sonny rightly says would be one of the biggest, if no the biggest match in snooker history,even more so if it got very close.

Of course as a Ronnie fan Selby is the one that upsets me the most when both play cause I know more often than not Ronnie will crumble with Selby's superior tactical play and mind games.. I'll never forget that Masters 2010 final... :irk: :irk: :irk: as a fan of Ronnie, the most painful match I've ever watched..

But anyway, like Wild says we still don't know if he'll be there in the first place, and even if he does Selby has a lot more chances of being in the final than Ronnie...

it might even end up like Ronnie losing first round and Selby the champion... :wave: irony there for all to see :john:

But yeah one thing's for certain, if it somehow happened, it would create a lot of buzz around the snooker world.

Postby Andre147

GJ wrote:a robbo v selby world final would be interesting to see if robbo is mentally strong enough to forget the uk and masters v mark.

Yes would love to watch that if it happened, and like you say it would be the ultimate test for Robbo to see if he could overcome Selby over a long format... somehow, I think Selby would still prevail..

Postby Alex0paul

Selby is only provisionally number 2 with Robertson not far behind him so could easily slip to number 3, thus 4th seed and same half as O'Sullivan

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:I understand what your saying, Wild. To me you come across as a pragmatist, nothing wrong with that at all.

But isn't it fun to speculate sometimes? How boring would life be if we were never allowed to imagine?

im only interested in facts.

never been one for reading fictional novels.

Postby Andre147

Casey wrote:Robbo v Trump or Higgins v Ronnie would also be A class.

I just can't see Ronnie making the final thoughl

we didnt even know if he'll be there in the first place, but I agree, even if he does decide to compete, I reckon he wouldnt get past the quarters at best.. will depend on the draw.. but just cant see it..

Postby Wildey

Jewell wrote:If Selby drops to number 2 in the world can this match still happen? I'm assuming they can still be drawn in opposite halves of the draw?

if Selby Drops to 3rd it cant happen.

the chances of that happening isnt impossible but it would mean Robbo wins his 7th Ranking event to make it possible.

Postby Skullman

Jewell wrote:If Selby drops to number 2 in the world can this match still happen? I'm assuming they can still be drawn in opposite halves of the draw?

Selby would be no3 seed and still be in the oppsite half of the draw. If he dropped to number 3 he would be fourth seed and would meet ROS in the semis.

Postby GJ

Wild WC wrote:Neil Robertson is in a very strong position to spoil this party now.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Postby Andy Spark

GJ wrote:ronnie will be no where near the final

Higgins, Selby, Trump, Ronnie....To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if none of them got to the final.

Higgins- Generally on the decline.
Selby- lucky to win so much this season, didn't impress me with either his UK or Masters wins.
Trump-Average positional play will mean missed pots under pressure.
Ronnie- Not match fit.

I'd go for Maguire, Ding, Allen or Roberson...two of those four in the final maybe or one of them and an unexpected player.

Postby Sickpotter

Andy Spark wrote:
GJ wrote:ronnie will be no where near the final

Higgins, Selby, Trump, Ronnie....To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if none of them got to the final.

Higgins- Generally on the decline.
Selby- lucky to win so much this season, didn't impress me with either his UK or Masters wins.
Trump-Average positional play will mean missed pots under pressure.
Ronnie- Not match fit.

I'd go for Maguire, Ding, Allen or Roberson...two of those four in the final maybe or one of them and an unexpected player.

I have to disagree on Higgins and Selby, they've done well in longer formats and have shown good form.

I tend to agree that ROS won't be match fit but he's capable. More mental than physical any problems Ronnie will have, we'll see how he handles it.

Ding, Allen and Robertson also in with a shout.

Trump....never know but his lack of a B game will generally hamper him in longer format events. I think he's had a relatively poor season and don't see him going far this WC.

I think it'll be Ding or Higgins for the title but wouldn't be too surprised to see Selby or Allen holding it.

Postby TheRocket

Can't see this match coming. Selby won the UK and the Masters but he was not really strong or impressive. I think he had a pot success of 88% at the UK , just to mention an example. The Standard generally was very low at these two tournaments but Selby was the most consistent and solid one, so he deserved the titles. But I doubt, that he will reach the final of the World with these Performances.

And concerning Ron. Despite his whole massive ability I highly doubt, Ron will reach the final without any match sharpness. He's after Hendry the best breakbuilder of all time and a very solid Allrounder but you will probably lose these tight frames which contains Long safety battles and be decided on the last red or on the colours if you are not match sharp. His Goal must be avoiding these long battles and hitting as many 80+ breaks as he can and Play one visit stuff. He has to be in machine mode like 2004. But can't see him doing this this year.

Higgins is always a dangerous man but can't see him winning the title with his form this year. After his Shangai title he played a lot of bad stuff and he seems to be in decline and missing more and more easy shots. His matchplay is yet a danger though.

And Trump simply Plays too bad atm and very inconstitent to win the title.

So my favourites will be Ding,Allen,Maguire, Robertson. Especially Mark Allen seems to be very ready and steady to win the big one now. He is probably my top favourite.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Love the way people think Selby played rubbish to win the UK and Masters.

it is a trait in players these days if they win titles they go walk about and Selby has gone walk about since the Masters.

the pressure on him to equal what only Steve Davis, Stephen Hendry and Mark Williams has done before him will be Massive but i think come the World Championship he will have the right balance of Success and Freshness to go all the way and do it.

that's not to say someone could play amazing stuff and stop him but he will be ready for it.